Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectSuggestion! I want a lot of traction!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=31173
31173, Suggestion! I want a lot of traction!
Posted by Cyexmaster, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

Well Basiclly I want a few suggestion on rim size,tire and any other components that help my traction I could get really good tires but not slicks it's not like I have a gragster but I want good launches. Some specific tires would be good to know! Thanxs in advanced!
31175, RE: Suggestion! I want a lot of traction!
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Are you looking for straight line traction or cornering traction? I'm running Falken Azeni Fk542s right now and they have incredible grip, but they are horrible for launching.

If you are looking for good drag tires, get something in a 14" or 15" size with a soft sidewall. That way you have some tire flex for increased traction at a stop. If you want a pretty good street tire for cornering hard, buy some Azenis.

Just understand that as you add more grip you will stress the stock suspension more. More grip = more weight transfer.
31176, RE: Suggestion! I want a lot of traction!

Well I want tires for good launches, I've heard about the azenis but are they really bad at lauches? Also some tips on suspension would be good. And thanxs!
31177, RE: Suggestion! I want a lot of traction!
Posted by jrak123, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
BFG KDW tires are great for all around driving, at the strip and in the corners. You can also mess with your tire presure too, you will have to find the combination that works best for you there. It's trial and error.

Suspension tips: Coil overs would be nice to have so you can adjust to your conditions. For drag racing you want to have stiffer suspension in the rear and little movement to keep the front end from lifting as much. Good urithane bushings will help( suspension and engine/trans mounts). There are many many other things that you can add to this, but these are the big ones.
31178, RE: Suggestion! I want a lot of traction!

well thanxs, for thinfo. I already have the urethane mounts I will put in the list nex the coilovers and the bushings. Tires are last...
31180, RE: Suggestion! I want a lot of traction!
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Tires should honestly be your first upgrade. For the money you will not find a better mod for cornering. Just once you pick out a set, know that to keep a balanced car, you will need to upgrade the rest of your suspension.

I would definitely suggest the polyurethane suspension bushings, but that is not something for the weak of heart. It is a huge job. Your car will squeak, rattle and shake with all the poly inserts installed. I know this from experience.
31183, RE: Suggestion! I want a lot of traction!
Posted by goalie40, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
On my RS I have H&R springs kyb gr2 struts ok ride a little rough and too damn low. Still better than stock but if I where to do it again........ wait I did do it again :)

On my GST I have tein flexs. My car is a go-kart now sooooooo much better. I can set height and stiffness something you cant do with springs and most struts The real test will be on the 30th My first ever auto x. If the around the block test is any sign. She will be fast in the corners.

For traction? A easy one would be a wider tire. Im running evo 9 rims with the stock evo Advans on the GST. At 235 they are pretty wide, Bigger patch on the ground. Best thing about 235 tires they come flush with the fenders. I love the stance on the GST now.
I generated this page in 0.0089378356933594 seconds, executing 7 queries.