Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectKYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=30949
30949, KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Posted by 95eclipse420A, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ok, i DID search, and i DID find some info, but I want some new, current, more specific input. What problems do you guys think I will have with this setup, i'm also going to have the ES master kit installed as well. Thanks in advance.
30951, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Posted by daes_venge, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
GR-2's are stock replacements, not a good choice especially using Sportlines.
30952, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
that's what i've read, but can somebody explain what exactly that means for me? like cant handle, will blow, please elaborate. I would like to understand why, not just be told why. thanks
30953, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
They will eventually blow. They are just not designed to take the beating a lowered car gives them. Would you consider using the stock struts that are on your car now with sportlines? Because if you purchase a brand new set of Gr2's (which is the manufacturer of the original oem strut)your not upgrading one bit and will be in the same situation as if you just left the oem struts on with the sportlines.
30954, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
ok well that sucks for me, i guess i will just have to go with it for a lil while till i get the cash for a better set then.
30955, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Posted by goalie40, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The Gr2 are a little better than stock upgrade. They will work well with lowering springs I have a set on my RS with H&R race springs very low to the ground. Been on over 2 years with no problems. They will give you a better than oem ride but not much better. A good broke ass upgrade IMO.

Gr2 and H&R
30956, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Posted by totaleclipse_05, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I used Tokico HP struts with Sportlines for a little over a year without a problem, but switched to Pro-Kits because the Sportlines weren't giving me the ride I wanted.
30957, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Posted by Idontgotnothn88, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I had tokiko illuminas and sportline springs. The car handled like it was on rails and it looked sooo mean slammed to the ground. The illuminas are 5 way adjustable and I could feel the difference when I would adjust it. As for ride quality it was very close to stock setup imo. My only problem was I couldnt handle hearing my car scrape against the ground every time I ran over something higher than 3 inches off the ground, it would make my whole body cringe every time. I finally replaced it back to stock when I put a huge gash in my exhaust and dented my oil pan. I still have them sitting in my garage with a front and rear camber kit that I plan on selling after Christmas.
30958, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
So, what i'm understanding is that the KYB GR-2's are not meant to be that low, and some people just don't like being that low...Right?
I am aware and prepared for all consequences that come with the sportlines. Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but the Eibach website says that the Sportlines give a 1.6 inch drop for the front and rear, are they wrong?
30959, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Posted by goalie40, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I like the ride. They can handle lower cars with no problems. If you can afford a nicer set get them. but if funds are an issue these would be a good upgrade.
My eclipse is really low 3 fingers to the ground off the front bumper. I like the drive till the road gets really bumpy, or I see a speedbump. I also run a 40 series tire that makes a difference. On my GST im running 45 series tires, and will be using eibach pro/sport lines the one with less drop. And something adjustable for struts.

suspension is something that gets upgraded all the time on our cars whatever you get in a year or two you will want something new.

Or is that just me.
31013, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Posted by blownoffvalve, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 95eclipse420A
Ok, i DID search, and i DID find some info, but I want some new, current, more specific input. What problems do you guys think I will have with this setup, i'm also going to have the ES master kit installed as well. Thanks in advance.

if you are going sportlines I heard its better to go with the adjustables.. if you go with the pro kit then the gr2 are fine
31014, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Originally posted by blownoffvalve
if you are going sportlines I heard its better to go with the adjustables.. if you go with the pro kit then the gr2 are fine

Originally posted by daes_venge
GR-2's are stock replacements, not a good choice especially using Sportlines.

31015, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Posted by Slimyjr., Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You just have to realize the stress you put on the suspension when you lower a car. It puts the rear camber way negative, cocks the tie rods and can eat balljoints. But if you do it right(rear camber kit..ect) a lowered car is perfectlly fine, handles amazing, and looks killer.
31018, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Posted by Volgrath, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My car came with this setup. blown GR-2's and sportline springs. i was lucky and got some koni adjustable yellow short stroke shocks for $190 and now my car handles like a champ. it's an RS and didn't have a rear sway bar. i fixed that with a dodge avenger v6 rear swaybar (still 13mm). now im about to put on some GSX calipers with some drilled and slotted ebay rotors that i all got at the yard for $55. it pays to go to the yard!
31019, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Well, I'm putting the sportlines on regardless, so.... should I put the gr-2s on, or should I just leave my stock struts on and sell the gr-2s?
31021, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Well, I'm putting the sportlines on regardless, so.... should I put the gr-2s on, or should I just leave my stock struts on and sell the gr-2s?

Don't use Stock Struts.

Don't use GR-2s.

Get something like the Tokico HP struts or illuminas.
31022, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
See... there is a problem there, I don't have any money to buy new struts. I bought the gr-2s under the impression that they were performance struts. So, with that being said, are there any suggestions?
31023, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
See... there is a problem there, I don't have any money to buy new struts. I bought the gr-2s under the impression that they were performance struts. So, with that being said, are there any suggestions?

We gave you our suggestions already. If you don't have the money to do it the correct way, don't do it at all!
31024, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
You know, I had a feeling you were gonna say that. Oh well. I guess I will see what happens.
31020, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Posted by 2GeclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Volgrath
it pays to go to the yard!

QFT

31025, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Part of the reason that so many people are telling you that it is a bad idea is the GR2s are a slight 'upgrade' over stock. They are the same overall length as the stock shock. When you remove two inches of travel out of the suspension setup and you have a shock that was designed for a full length shock, you are taking the shock out of its 'sweet spot'.

The Tokico Illuminas on the other hand are approximately 1" short than stock shocks. They are designed to be on a lowered car. They are also adjustable so that you can match the valving (rebound and compression) to the spring. Without proper matching, overall ride quality can suffer. Handling can also suffer as well.

EDIT: If you haven't noticed, my car is not lowered yet. I have a set of Tokico Illumina shocks in my room right now waiting to go with a set of 1.3" or 1.5" drop springs. Yes, they are expensive, but before I made a decision on what I wanted, I read and read and read about suspension theory and how things work. I then saved money for a while until I could comfortably afford the proper shocks and springs.
31026, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
Ugh omg, if you pair those struts with those springs, you might as well be throwing away your money. Sell them to get SOME money back and buy the right shit so you get it done right the first time.

How hard is this to understand?
31028, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
You know what, I understand perfectly. I don't have the money to buy new struts right now. I WILL be buying new adjustable struts when I am able to afford it. I also understand that if I install my sportlines with stock struts, that they will most likely blow out. SO, please stop giving me shit about. Thanks and have a nice day.
31029, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
You know what, I understand perfectly. I don't have the money to buy new struts right now. I WILL be buying new adjustable struts when I am able to afford it. I also understand that if I install my sportlines with stock struts, that they WILL blow out. SO, please stop giving me shit about. Thanks and have a nice day.

AND the GR2's. Don't forget that. Also, fixed your statement.

Have fun wasting money instead of just waiting. You will be regretting it.
31030, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
I didn't say that I was going to use my gr-2s. I am either gonna sell them, or use them on another 2g. And it's too late for me to worry about wasting money since I already bought them anyway.
31031, RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines
I didn't say that I was going to use my gr-2s. I am either gonna sell them, or use them on another 2g. And it's too late for me to worry about wasting money since I already bought them anyway.

You didn't say you weren't either

I generated this page in 0.010932922363281 seconds, executing 7 queries.