Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjecthow to not lower my car and stiffen the suspension?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=29840
29840, how to not lower my car and stiffen the suspension?
Posted by darkclark, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i am very preformance oriented i have a 98 rs and i am wondering what is the siffest suspensions out there i dont want to drop my car i want to keep it the same hight or even make it a little higher i would like it be ajustable so i could move it up or down but i dont want the highest it can go be stock who make somthing similar to this price cheaper is better but i will spend as much as i need to find somthing like this
i plan to get front and rear strut tower bars and sway bars but i want to know about shocks and springs
29841, RE: how to not lower my car and stiffen the suspension?
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by darkclark
I am very performance oriented. I have a 98 rs and I am wondering what would be the stiffest suspension that I could purchase? I dont want to drop my car, I want to keep it at stock height or even raise it. I would like it to be adjustable so I could raise or lower it, but I dont want the highest setting to be stock height. Does anyone make a product like this at a reasonable price? I don't want to spend too much, but will if I have too (this is the best I could do with that sentence man). I also plan on installing front and rear strut tower bars and sway bars, but I would like some information on shocks and springs. Thanks

No, thats the simplest answer to that. If you want a strong performing suspension, one that will actually perform on the track, and raise and lower your suspension as well, you're going to need a set of coil-overs. The nice thing about coil-overs is that the spring and shock come as a package, so you don't have to spend extra money to buy the shocks. The problem is that you are now looking down the barrel of $1000-$1200 for a set, prices vary, but this is about norm. You could purchase something like what Ground Control offers for $300, the type that slips over a shock and is held in place with set screws, but that will not do on the track. Your best bet is either biting the bullet and spend $1000 or so on a proper coil-over, or getting a set of good shocks (most like the Tokico Illuminas) and keeping stock springs. You may consider calling Eibach or someone to find out if they make an aftermarket stock spring, or can custom make one, but they'll ask you for specifications and you are not ready to answer that question. If you are serious about this I would highly urge you to look into lower control arm braces, front and rear, and something like the upper control arm brace Nuespeed offered for us some years back, in addition to your tower braces. Good luck.
29842, RE:i guess i wasnt clear with my question
i have been look at many aftermarket suspension options an it seems most them the highest they can go is stock ride high and i would like to be at stock hight and still have ajustability in both directions i know a good setup can easily cost a 1000 dollars but but im not wanting to spend and more than that because some of the top end stuff can go upwards of 2000 and i dont have that much
29843, RE:i guess i wasnt clear with my question
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If you want performance, then you DONT want to go over stock height.
The best performance should be approx 1" lower than stock. (based on some rough calculations I did by measuring suspension geometry)

Get the Tein basic damper setup..thats it, dont look into anything else unless you want to spend more money.
But for the price the Tein setup is the best you can get now.

and stiff doesnt mean better...

If your serious, get the energy suspension master bushing kit, tein basic dampers, front/rear camber kits, front/rear larger sway bars, front/rear strut tower bars, and rear lower tie bar.
29844, RE:i guess i wasnt clear with my question
Originally posted by mcgyvr
If you want performance, then you DONT want to go over stock height. The best performance should be approx 1" lower than stock.

i will take this into consideration but i am turbo and my intercooler sits in such a way that my car cant be towed if it were any more than like a quarter inch lowered and my car ends up getting a towed alot so this i kind of a major concern if nothing like this is made that do this i would move the intercooler but i could do that if neccesary plus im trying to make it a sleeper so i want it to look pretty stock

thanks for the input guys
29845, RE:i guess i wasnt clear with my question
Why does your car get towed a lot? Where are you parking/ what are you doing? A simple solution to the intercooler problem is move it, couldn't be too hard to raise it a half to full inch. Also, with as many Eclipse's as there are out there, you could lower it an inch and still fly under the radar, I promise, when was the last time you looked twice at a lowered Civic, I rest my case. The only real reason I can see to wanting to leave it stock height or higher is if you were to go dirt/rally racing, which in an RS/GS may not be the best idea, though worse idea's have been known to occur. I'm with Mcyvr, go with the Tein's or just get a good lowering spring/shock combo and be done with it.
29847, RE:i guess i wasnt clear with my question
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if your intercooler is hanging lower than the car then you have it installed wrong. Spend some of that money and have it done right.

spending 1000.00 to fixe your 100.00 mistake is bass ackwards.

besides, if you really want to raise the IC area then drop the ass of the car.
29848, RE:i guess i wasnt clear with my question
He's got the Treadstone kit with the vertical flow intercooler, thus why it hangs so low (I went back and saw his previous thread after responding to this one :P ). Still think you ought to fix that. Are you wanting to raise the car because of what J said? Ignore that, don't even worry about raising the car, raise the intercooler a bit and you'll be fine.
29854, RE:ok i give up
thanks for the responces guys i guess i will move my intercooler because it seem that i am going to be told to by every member until i do

thanks guys
29855, RE:ok i give up
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by darkclark
thanks for the responces guys i guess i will move my intercooler because it seem that i am going to be told to by every member until i do thanks guys

Move your intercooler. ;)

Seriously, dude. This is the best bet. If you can modify a couple brackets with your drill in an afternoon that will allow you to bring that lower IC pipe up about an inch or so, you open yourself up to a lot more options in the suspension department.

Besides, it looks like you're investing a bunch of money into your car at this point - why work harder than you have to?
29867, RE:ok i give up
Posted by BumpinTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Move your intercooler. Also, if you want stock height you will need the Teins. My ground controls even adjusted all the way to the top are still about 1" lower then stock.
30023, RE:ok i give up
Posted by HadesOmega, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if you want it stiffer and no height change I would go for some sway bars, increase the size on the front and back.

you can go and installed some performance shocks also, I have AGXs and they'd be perfect if you don't wanna lower your car. Just turn the dampening all the way up and down when you want a less bumpy ride.

The next step would be to get coil overs, you can make it whatever height you want and have stiffer spring rates. Or if you can find some stock height springs with stiffer spring rates you can go with that. Go single rate also.
I generated this page in 0.0087339878082275 seconds, executing 7 queries.