Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectturning rotors with new pads
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=297
297, turning rotors with new pads
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm still waiting on porterfield r4s front pads from RRE, so before I get them I'm wondering how necessary is it to get the front rotors turned if you're putting on new pads? I wanted to just put them on and be done with it.

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.803 @ 86.48 MPH
298, RE: turning rotors with new pads
Posted by mike_d, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i dont know how important it is to turn rotors but when i changed my front pads i couldnt get my rotors off, i think they are seized to the hubs and i didnt want to damage anything so i took thr rusty lip off the edge with some sand paper and cleaned them up and they work the same as before but if yours are warped at all i would get them turned. i dont know if that helps but i tried =)
299, Get them turned!
Posted by DeanoD, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If you are doing the brakes yourself, take the rotors to Autozone, O'Reillys, etc etc. Most of these places turn rotors for $10 or less each. You might not even be able to see or feel warped rotors and the small grooves in them might seem insignificant, but they will lessen performance of those killer pads. This will also help seat the pads better and reduce squeal and give longer life to the pads. Remember be gentle on the brakes for a couple of weeks. I actually applied my stillen pads/factory rotors slowly on the interstate and slowed down from 80-60mph. Then let them cool a mile or two then did this process again and again. I avoided heavy braking applications on the streets for a while. In over a year and a half(25K) I do not have any brake squeal. I hope this helps make up your mind.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo
http://ar.dsm.org

300, I'll look into it
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hopefully I can get the rotors off and get it done, thanks for the info

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.803 @ 86.48 MPH
I generated this page in 0.0083529949188232 seconds, executing 7 queries.