Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectClunk from suspension... Long
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=29050
29050, Clunk from suspension... Long
Posted by clips3kid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i get clunks, small ones, when i hit bumps that dont sound normal, however it is an 8 year old car and the suspension is most likely completely stock. This car also sat for a year and has somewhat squeaky suspension. Its possible that it may be a motor mount i suppose because i get some noise under acceleration when i first hit it, but also when i go down my curb into the street when the front hasnt even moved down it yett. I also have taken into consideration my exhaust could be rusted to bits and swaying back and forth due to a busted hanger.

Mitsubishi told me i have a partially bad "Compression arm" and that is to account for the noise... ive searched all over and there is nothing that i can find that really looks to be this "compression arm" they speak of.

I recently had the balljoints inspected by both NTB and Mitsubishi. NTB told me i had a bad balljoint and a bad tie rod, i took it to mitsubishi after that (for second inspection/opinion) and they said yep... bad tie rod, and a bad CV Joint boot, setting me back $400. (yeah...) They said that in the future i would also need to replace the compression arm.

Can someone tell me a different name perhaps for this compression arm? is it possibly my suspension they are speaking of?

also i am going to buy a tokico setup and drop it 1.5inches... The guy who will be helping me put it on in his shop told me to make sure i also buy the rubber piece that goes in the bottom of the area the strut connects to the car. Could someone please tell me the name of these and perhaps a place to buy them? i believe i saw someone else talking about them but because i do not know what they are exactly i figured id ask
29051, RE: Clunk from suspension... Long
also was wondering if i need that camber correction kit with the tokico hp kit, lowers 1.5inches, and if so perhaps a link to the kit itself, im searching as of right now to find a link, im not sure what to look for on ebay or the net...
29052, RE: Clunk from suspension... Long
Posted by turbo8u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Wow man you've got to be about the biggest knub i've seen in awhile.

so i'll help you

replace all the shit mitsu told you was busted, duh. your clunking you attempt to describe in such vivid detail could be caused from any, and all the items they listed.

also, the ball joint being bad is dangerous, fix it. better yet give me some money and i'll do it.

the compression arm is the second control arm on the bottom, your 'suspension' is not just the strut assembly man, its the whole package...upper and lower control arms included.

look here, compression arm is # 40320AL, the arm down at the bottom on the right.

http://www.2gnt.com/CAPS/main33/main33sub050.html

good luck, and dont die knubflakes.

29053, RE: Clunk from suspension... Long
dont worry i know im a nublet... anything dealing with cars, i just mess up, so i just let someone else deal with it. Mits said my ball joint was fine... said that NTB identified movement but it was the compression arm

actually now that i think of it... anything dealing with anything i mess up...
29054, RE: Clunk from suspension... Long
Posted by turbo8u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well replace the compression arm then, i see them on ebay all the time and theyre oem parts. make sure you get the right year though, theres a small difference sometimes in the peice that bolts to the body.

and try not to have the car land on your head or something
I generated this page in 0.011967182159424 seconds, executing 7 queries.