Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectcar is droped-ed :D w/pix
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=28567
28567, car is droped-ed :D w/pix
Posted by VOTBLINDUB, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
:D finally, its lowered. HUGE thanks to Phil for helping me out. I owe ya a case of beer on the next visit Phil, remind me. Car came down 1.25 inch. In the next couple of weeks it should settle in and come down 0.25 more for a full 1.5 inch drop. Ride is fine, it actually softened up a bit. Itll harden once i get the GR2 shocks in there in spring. I need to get a rear camber/caster kit, cuz ive got rear negative camber right now, but itll be okay temporarily. Next time ill be coming over with the camber kit and new timing belt, so if anyone wants to join us, come by, hang out. Heres some pics.

28570, RE: car is droped-ed :D w/pix
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the camber. With a 1.5" drop, it'll be fine. HOWEVER, go get an alignment ASAP to fix the toe. That is what will make your tires wear faster. Not the camber.
28584, RE: car is droped-ed :D w/pix
Posted by VOTBLINDUB, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
toe is fixed. got it done right there and then, free also and a free allignment heh-heh-heh
28585, RE: car is droped-ed :D w/pix
Posted by BlackMagic, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
pics aren't workin for me
28586, RE: car is droped-ed :D w/pix
Posted by saikou, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by BlackMagic
pics aren't workin for me

Right click > Show Picture
28587, RE: car is droped-ed :D w/pix
Posted by Blizare, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I still don't understand why people are so impatient and put lowering springs on stock stuts? :shrug

Have fun changing them out again in a month after they start leaking shit all over and blow up. :nono

Like shit, your strut has 4 inches of travel and you just took half of it away.

28592, RE: car is droped-ed :D w/pix
Posted by nonamerat, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Blizare
I still don't understand why people are so impatient and put lowering springs on stock stuts? :shrug Have fun changing them out again in a month after they start leaking shit all over and blow up. :nono Like shit, your strut has 4 inches of travel and you just took half of it away.

Meh, Mine lasted about two years just fine. I didn't have the money to buy tokicos at the time and I needed to do away with that gap so it worked out for me :shrug
28677, RE: car is droped-ed :D w/pix
Posted by EglTalon_ESi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by nonamerat
Originally posted by Blizare I still don't understand why people are so impatient and put lowering springs on stock stuts? :shrug Have fun changing them out again in a month after they start leaking shit all over and blow up. :nono Like shit, your strut has 4 inches of travel and you just took half of it away.
Meh, Mine lasted about two years just fine. I didn't have the money to buy tokicos at the time and I needed to do away with that gap so it worked out for me :shrug

Same here I have a set of sportlines 2" drop installed with stock struts for just over 2 years and they are still good.
28849, RE: car is droped-ed :D w/pix
Posted by EclipseTenzoR, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Blizare
I still don't understand why people are so impatient and put lowering springs on stock stuts? :shrug Have fun changing them out again in a month after they start leaking shit all over and blow up. :nono Like shit, your strut has 4 inches of travel and you just took half of it away.

Hey makes a strong point. Its exactly what happened to me, I did it because i was broke and impatient.. well I payed more in the end so start saving your money now friend
28850, RE: car is droped-ed :D w/pix
Posted by 96rs-t, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've been riding on blown shocks for like 2 years now. :)
28884, RE: car is droped-ed :D w/pix
Posted by totaleclipse_05, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well I had my springs for a while, didn't put them on. I waited to get my struts because I did not want to do an alignment 2 times. (I have sportlines and tokico hp's). I wanted to do it right also because about 2-3 weeks after lowering it, I had to drive 1000+ miles down here to TX for college and I just had new tires put on also. There was no way I was going without an alignment and wearing my tires away on the trip. So I made sure I had everything I needed for the first time so I wouldn't have to put on springs, align, get down to TX, replace struts, align, replace tires. Too much work IMO to do stuff 2 times. Do it right the first time is my advice.
28919, RE: car is droped-ed :D w/pix
Posted by MiztahfooLish, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
OEM stock struts + lowering springs = front bottom out and a dented oil pan & uneven tire wear
28999, RE: car is droped-ed :D w/pix
Posted by Doug96GS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I always get a kick out of people that say "Oh yea I dropped the car a year ago and never changed the struts and the car is great!" Right. Stock struts are not designed to handle the additional forces that are associated with installing stiffer springs. Period. Take a ride in a car that had the suspsension modified the right way the first time and you'll notice the difference. Do yourself a favor and do it the right way with new springs and new struts. Get an alignment after that. If there's one thing that you shouldn't half-ass when it comes to modifying your car, it's the suspension.
I generated this page in 0.0091440677642822 seconds, executing 7 queries.