Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectTire rub or cv joint?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=28261
28261, Tire rub or cv joint?
Posted by zags13, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
A while back i was making a right turn and understeered into a curb. i wasnt going that fast, i lost it on some lose gravel, and hit the curb pretty much head on, but the wheel was turned slightly to the right when i hit. i bent the hell out of the lower rear control arm on the driver side, so i got that replaced and then got an allignment. (also, my car is lowered with eibach sportlines and kyb gr2 shocks.) a few weeks later, any time i make a hard right turn going slow, there is a high pitched shreak and it sounds like a grinding sound. i thought i tore the boot when i hit the curb, but the guys who replaced the control arm said it was just my suspension sagging a little bit, and the wheel was rubbing. well, a few weeks ago i tried pulling out the axle on the driver side to replace it, and saw that both boots looked fine, while the tires are worn more on the inside than the outside. is it possible to have a problem with the cv joint or the axle itself without any noticable damage? do i have rubbing issues? or is it a combination of both?

thanks in advance

-Chris
28265, RE: Tire rub or cv joint?
Posted by OldGuy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by zags13
there is a high pitched shreak and it sounds like a grinding sound.Which is it? Shriek or gowling or grinding
The wheel was rubbing. One or both?
The tires are worn more on the inside than the outside. Camber issues cause that wear pattern
Is it possible to have a problem with the cv joint or the axle itself without any noticable damage? do i have rubbing issues? or is it a combination of both?
Yes it is possible... Damage is not always obvious and more often than not, even when it is obvious, it is overlooked. Look in your wheel well and see if there are rub patterns at the rear end of the well. is the abnormal wear even on both sides of the car? Are the insides of the tire wearing out on the inside or is it feathering? Could be because you are lowered you have a camber problem to begin with. That was made worse by hitting the curb... Your CV axle should rotate freely and not feel like it is binding in any one spot during rotation. Try it. And Good Luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.
-Pappy

I generated this page in 0.0087080001831055 seconds, executing 7 queries.