Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectBall joint / arm / tie rod boots?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=27402
27402, Ball joint / arm / tie rod boots?
Posted by sike, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I tore alot of these trying to get my suspension apart for rebuild. I have replacements for the ball joints and arms, but I can't figure out how to get the old ones out? Anyone know? And what about getting the new ones in?
27403, RE: Ball joint / arm / tie rod boots?
Posted by OldGuy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The tie-rod boots are easy. Just slip them on over the tie-rods and then install the tie rods (inner). Outer ends should already have them in place.
As for the ball joints, I only know of them being a unit with the upper, lower and lower lateral control arms. That is to say that you only replace the ball joints with the arms Maybe someone else could enlighten us both on this one if there is after market actually available and then how to install? :shrug
27404, RE: Ball joint / arm / tie rod boots?
Posted by Ducking_Fumbass, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Some of them have circlips. Remove them. Press them out with a hydraulic press, 20 tons should do it.
27413, RE: Ball joint / arm / tie rod boots?
Posted by OldGuy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey DF... Is this something that was different from year to yeear? Mine are non-removable and must be replaced as a unit with the control arms. The manuals I have for other year talons also states the same... Just curious cause I don't want to give someone bum gouge and also want to learn as much as I can about our little beasts!
Thanks!
27414, RE: Ball joint / arm / tie rod boots?
Some of them can be pressed out, and others can't.

Well, I think that if you are motivated enough, they can all be pressed out. Napa has part numbers for the front upper, the lower compression (I think), and the rear toe-control arm (I think).

I bet that you would be able to find something that would fit all of them, given sufficient motivation.
27417, RE: Ball joint / arm / tie rod boots?
Posted by sike, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah, I have the replacemant boots for my 95. I got them at the dealer for $10/ea. I need to replace all 4 on both sides. What do you mean pressed out? There is a ring around bottom of the boots that holds them in posistion. I'm guessing they have to be pulled out with the entire ball joints?
27418, RE: Ball joint / arm / tie rod boots?
Those get removed, and the ball joint itself is pressed out the bottom of the arm. A hydraulic press is needed.
I generated this page in 0.0081238746643066 seconds, executing 7 queries.