Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectWho the fucks bright idea was it to
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=27381
27381, Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by 420a-Tnthewerks, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
use allen wrench holes for the stabilizer link. My 95 had two nuts to use to get them off. My 98 you have to put an allen wrench in the the end of the bolt to keep it still while you loosen the nut. Fucking bullshit, I already stripped the one attached to the damper fork so I tried the bottom one(that connects to the stabilizer bar), that one was going fine but the nut is now frozen in place some how and I can't get any leverage with a fuckin allen wrench.

I don't know if you know what the hell I'm talking about, but I just had to rant.

I'm going to have to cut the link in half to get it off I bet. Good thing I have a parts car with fairly new ones.
27383, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by Ducking_Fumbass, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I don't like either method of keeping the shaft from rotating. I have had the nut on the back crumble out before. I think that's why they "revised" it. See if you can get the allen wrench socket, because that would at least let you get a breaker bar on it.
27396, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by eclipse982nrRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
China :(
27397, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by cs82685, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
China :(

Not china, Japan
27398, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
The reason I was tearing the suspension apart were for Tein coilovers, cross-drilled slotted rotors, painted calipers and I also painted the rotors. Look for pics tomorrow :)...

edit- and let me tell you, my hands and arms are not pretty :censored<-- many times.
27411, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by Ryan_Hes, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Not china, Japan

Not Japan, not China, Normal Illinois.
27412, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by eclipse_99rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yah the origional design is much better than the allen wrench design, they are total retards for switching it.
27415, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
I think that with a 3/8" drive attachment, the allen key is better. It allows for a 3/8" to 1/2" drive adaptor, and the use of a breaker bar (and maybe a BFCheater bar, too).

If it strips, then you are no worse off, as I have demolished every sway bar end link that I have tried to remove gracefully, and I have only tried the old design.
27419, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Originally posted by Ducking_Fumbass
I think that with a 3/8" drive attachment, the allen key is better. It allows for a 3/8" to 1/2" drive adaptor, and the use of a breaker bar (and maybe a BFCheater bar, too). If it strips, then you are no worse off, as I have demolished every sway bar end link that I have tried to remove gracefully, and I have only tried the old design.

Yeah, that would of made it alot better but I didn't even think of one of those. I did get the passenger on off smoothly though, but I took like 5 minutes doing it to make sure not to fuck it up.

All I used for all of it were 14mm and 17mm wrenches and a BFRH.
27422, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
I've always needed to use a sawzall and a BFH (with which to vent my frustration on the piece of shit after I remove it).

I don't think that there is a good way to do sway bar end links...
27423, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
penetrating oil :shrug
27430, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
PB Blaster was a no-go, even with a torch. Since the torch and PB Blaster couldn't solve my problem, I figured that a sawzall would. I was right.

Smashing the fucking thing to pieces afterwards made it all worthwhile, though.
27431, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by EclipseTenzoR, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
PB Blaster worked great for me, and so did the breaking it loose with an open ratchet. I did'nt see much of a problem with it, just a little tedious at first. Good luck though, it took about 5 minutes for each side after I sprayed it down with some PB Blaster.. Only thing is I had the wrong springs when I pulled the shock out. Damn Abtivan concepts mailed me springs for an Accord.. Fucking Retards.. So back together it goes... Good Luck
27434, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Originally posted by Ducking_Fumbass
PB Blaster was a no-go, even with a torch. Since the torch and PB Blaster couldn't solve my problem, I figured that a sawzall would. I was right. Smashing the fucking thing to pieces afterwards made it all worthwhile, though.

Exactly what I ended up doing. I cut that shit up into many pieces.
27565, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by espilcEGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Same here..... They had to be cut off to change the sway bars out.
27621, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by QC DSM ESiT, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have the ones with the nut to keep em from moving and that didn't even work. I had to heat the things up and the use an impact on em. Those stabilizer links are a PITA no matter what. x(
32431, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by numberoneeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
whoever thought of this design needs to be killed. had to cut that shit off with a sawzaw... ill sell the car before i do that shit again
32432, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by eclipse982nrRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by numberoneeclipse
whoever thought of this design needs to be killed. had to cut that shit off with a sawzaw... ill sell the car before i do that shit again

this thread is 4 years old dude. try looking at the thread dates next time.
32433, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by numberoneeclipse

:rolleyes
32434, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by eclipsed08, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I had to cut mine off everytime except once....
32435, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by foggy45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

./sigh and people still think im crazy for wanting to lock threads older then 2 years where you would need an admin to open it up for a relevant post
32436, RE: Who the fucks bright idea was it to
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I think this is a good bump because it reminds me just how much I hate the engineering on that one part. And mine has never even gotten stuck.

Thanks for bringing some negativity into my day
I generated this page in 0.0095100402832031 seconds, executing 7 queries.