Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectwhat shocks are good
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=26285
26285, what shocks are good
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm going to be ordering some H&R OE springs soon, and I figured while I'm at it I might as well get some new shocks to go along with them...

My question is what is a good brand/line? I'm going for a really tight suspension setup. I'm not wanting to drop the car much (hence the OE springs).

TIA
26286, RE: what shocks are good
Posted by Talontaxi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Kyb agx's are great along with tokico illuminas. If your looking for a litte cheaper non adjustable go with tokico blues they run like 220$ or so. The kyb's and the illuminas run like 320$. For the extra 100$ or so i'd go with adjustables.
26289, RE: what shocks are good
ok.. thanks
26310, RE: what shocks are good
Posted by WarnerC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
illuminas are a good choice if you can afford them, otherwise I'd go with blues.
26357, RE: what shocks are good
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hopefully you didn't buy already. Most here that have the Tokico shocks rave about them, most I've heard from that have the AGX's hate them. I have had AGX's on my car for about 8 months. The first month and a half they were awesome, stiff at the high setting, loose at the low setting, and dead center at the middle setting. After that month and a half the difference's weren't as clear, the middle is still the middle but the high setting isn't as stiff and the low setting isn't as loose. Now it's like adjusting to different levels of middle stiffness. Long and the short of it, get something with a weird name (Tokico, Tein, etc.)
26358, RE: what shocks are good
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I agree, i have heard the AGX's stink. I have had ilumina's and still have my Koni yellows. both are very comparable. either one wil suit you but i think the Koni's will adjust a little bit tighter.

Terry
26359, RE: what shocks are good
Posted by Blizare, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
get tein springs not OEM....

that just sounds stupid to replave the shock/strut with a lowered/high performance unit and leave a mushy ass spring...
26360, RE: what shocks are good
Posted by eclipse_gs_1512, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
koni yellows.
26361, RE: what shocks are good
Posted by totaleklipse97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Blizare
get tein springs not OEM.... that just sounds stupid to replave the shock/strut with a lowered/high performance unit and leave a mushy ass spring...

hmm he said H&R OE, not OEM!! it's a higher spring rate then stock but without a slammed ride like alot of springs.
EDIT: but to answer your thread.. like most of us you will never really adjust your shocks anyway even though u get the adjustables. I know i want illumina's but how often will you get out of your car and adjust your shocks for a stiffer ride. Just get the Blues and you will be happy. Your not building an all out race car so for daily driving and comfort i'd just choose the blues.
26362, RE: what shocks are good
Originally posted by totaleklipse97
hmm he said H&R OE, not OEM!! it's a higher spring rate then stock but without a slammed ride like alot of springs. EDIT: but to answer your thread.. like most of us you will never really adjust your shocks anyway even though u get the adjustables. I know i want illumina's but how often will you get out of your car and adjust your shocks for a stiffer ride. Just get the Blues and you will be happy. Your not building an all out race car so for daily driving and comfort i'd just choose the blues.

thanks aaron! yeah, i'm not going to drop my car too much... the roads in central illinois suck, and I want a stiffer ride without making the aftermarket stuff too obvious. I really appreciate all of your responses..
26366, RE: what shocks are good
Posted by cyan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
koni yellers. i have them...love them. i've run them for 3 years with no piston travel and they still haven't exploded yet. thumbs up!
26367, RE: what shocks are good
Posted by hydrata, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
surprised no one's said we have struts, not shocks.
26368, RE: what shocks are good
Posted by cyan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by hydrata
surprised no one's said we have struts, not shocks.

i don't :)

please dont ask me to explain, it's the most ghetto shit you've ever heard of.
26370, RE: what shocks are good
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
actually keeping the stock springs and changing your struts WILL stiffen it up some. I use that term very loosely though.

As for the blues, they are like the 4/5 setting on the illuminas for stiffness. If you want sofeter you can do that with the illuminas, not with the blues.
26413, RE: what shocks are good
when i say springs and shock absorbers I am talking about the individual components...

I may be wrong, but I view a strut as the spring/shock/whole assy as one. I'm talking about individual components of the strut.

I think (in my mind) it's how the components are grouped together... if they are combined it is a strut assy, if they are seperate (like the rear suspension of say a buick) it is a spring and shock absorber.

Maybe this should be titled strut modification, maybe i'm just too drunk right now, I don't know.
26421, RE: what shocks are good
Posted by PowerEclipses, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
tein's are the best shock for the money imo
I generated this page in 0.0090529918670654 seconds, executing 7 queries.