Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectHELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=25249
25249, HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Posted by reaxion, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Im driving to school today, and my freaking power steering goes out!
Any ideas? I was supposed to change my tie rods a while ago, does this have anything to do with it?
25257, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Posted by Talontaxi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Does your ac work? If not check the belt. If the belt is still on and intact then check your power steering fluid. If all is well there then the my finger is pointing to the pump itself. And if you can still steer then your tie rod ends are not the culprit.
25258, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by reaxion
Im driving to school today, and my freaking power steering goes out! Any ideas? I was supposed to change my tie rods a while ago, does this have anything to do with it?

If you were supposed to change your tie rods a while ago, it is not very smart to continue driving your vehicle. First, look to see if there is still a belt there, second check the fluid level. If both check out, you may have a problem with either the pump or the rack.
25320, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Posted by bullox, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by CODE4
First, look to see if there is still a belt there, second check the fluid level. If both check out, you may have a problem with either the pump or the rack.

Exactly. Did you hear a loud 'snap' that coincided with the loss of power steering? I would assume that is the issue. Just take a peak in there.
25338, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Posted by AndrewESi_T, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
haha...ive heard that SNAP...its not a pretty noise...
25339, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Posted by SILVERNT, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
whats power steering? or this AC you speak of, i dont have either :+
25340, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Posted by brokenrodguy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My tensioner pully decided to cut through my pressure line so that mite be it. Autozone wants $25 for a new 4 inch hose so I just cut a foot off from the 50 psi bulk hose for 99 cents and went on with my day
25341, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Posted by kelvinb1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
get a tighter belt to move your tensioner pulley in closer. i had the same problem
25970, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
my belt snapped...thats what it was. it was already cracking from old age.

I have a new one...how do I set the tension on the pulley? do I just tighten the nut on the back of the pulley?
25972, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Considering you know about the search function and buy a chiltons option, I will say this because I am feeling generous this morning.

Standing in front of the engine bay, you must first losen the nut (14mm) on the back of the tensioner pully. Only need to loosen it a couple turns. Then there is a worm drive bolt (14mm I believe as well) that faces the radiator. Tighten this bolt to draw the tensioner pulley toward the motor (tighteninng the belt overall) or loosen the bolt to back the tensioner pulley out (so you can first get the new belt on). And as for proper tension of the belt, I am not going to go into that. If you have not changed belts before, I cannot describe the feel and deflection of the belt you should be looking for. Buy the chiltons, it is better described there for the home mechanic. Good luck.
25987, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Posted by MCubed45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
were you asking ho to set the tension on the pulley or the belt?

the PS/AC belt it tightened by the power steering pump. it pivots on the bracket it's mounted to. loosen the bolts on the pump and put the belt on. get a crow-bar or similar object and wedge it between the pump and the bracket. push the pump as far foward as you can (towards the front of the car). then tighten the bolts.

hope it was just the belt for you. when my belts went out part of the PS/AC belt wrapped arouned the pump and caused it to leak. i needed a new pump. it sucked. :(
25988, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Originally posted by MCubed45
the PS/AC belt it tightened by the power steering pump. it pivots on the bracket it's mounted to.

What in the world are you talking about? The Power Steering pump does not pivot. The tension is set by the manual belt tensioner pulley.
26001, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by MCubed45 the PS/AC belt it tightened by the power steering pump. it pivots on the bracket it's mounted to.
What in the world are you talking about? The Power Steering pump does not pivot. The tension is set by the manual belt tensioner pulley.

Actually man i does pivot a little about 3 inches. Thats how the cheap individuals who dont want to replace the tensioner bearing, remove the tensioner and still maintain power steering/AC.

96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver

97 Eclipse.........

26000, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Posted by turbo8u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by SILVERNT
whats power steering? or this AC you speak of, i dont have either :+

that sucks man

26002, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Posted by blckeclipse95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by turbo8u
Originally posted by SILVERNT whats power steering? or this AC you speak of, i dont have either :+
that sucks man

I have dont have both also, and yes it does suck
26013, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Posted by EazyE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i just replaced my ps/ac belt on christmas eve, mine just ripped in half when i was leaving work wednesday. what sucked was it was pouring rain and i havent drove a car with no power steering, only my truck which was a piece cake as soon as you moved. I feel sorry for you guys with out it, its a work out after awhile to turn our heavy cars.
26014, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Posted by MCubed45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by MCubed45 the PS/AC belt it tightened by the power steering pump. it pivots on the bracket it's mounted to.

ya it does. i never messed with the tensioner pulley when i replaced my belt and pump. seems to me that tightening the belt with the pump would be easier. ya just stick a crow bar in and tighten the bolts :shrug
26432, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
finally figured out what it was...took apart the tensioner assembly one night. seems the bolt that sets tension twisted in 2 compeltely different directions and then threw the belt. fun stuff. I called one dealer, you can get the bolt for around 30 bucks. called another dealer, said they only sell the kit which runs for 100 bucks more. damn you satan. yes, its dealer only. unless you go get one from a junkyard.
26436, RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!
Posted by sinesis333, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by turbo8u
Originally posted by SILVERNT whats power steering? or this AC you speak of, i dont have either :+
that sucks man

Don't feel pity for him.....you know that's by choice.
I generated this page in 0.014240026473999 seconds, executing 7 queries.