Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectsliiight squeaking sound coming off of a control arm bushing...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=25062
25062, sliiight squeaking sound coming off of a control arm bushing...
Posted by GhEttOrAiD, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm having some (major) issues with suspension and driveline, basically when I'm rolling on the street in neutral not accelerating turning or braking I'll get a loud slapping noise. Gets faster with wheel speed (not engine rpms) Sounds similar to a loose wheel/lug nut, but thats definitely not whats going on here.

Camber is much straighter than the passenger side..
when the car is on the ground, you push/pull the wheel in/out you can hear a slight creaking noise

I finally got my car towed home (after letting pep boys have a look around... decided they didnt want to touch it.. but said I had a few other issues including leaky output shaft seal... hooray... but that my cv joints look okay)

this has happened before, a crappy shop actually fixed the problem for me and said it was some kind of "camber arm"... happened over a year ago so I dont recall what exactly they said or did.

ANYWAY. Now I have the car home, just poking around until Monday. I've removed the wheel, put some load back on the suspension... I notice a very slight squeaking sound in the circled bushing... at least this is where I believe the sound is coming from...

Should also note that the upper ball joint(?) (thing in the center at the tip of the a arm) looks a little mangled, as if it has hit the inner fender once or twice.

not my picture:
25063, RE: sliiight squeaking sound coming off of a control arm bushing...
Oh... and when I went to take the wheel off... I noticed that 4 of the 5 lugs were totally loose (finger-tight)

may just be loosening because of the suspension issue..

when you push the wheel in/out as I mentioned above, the hub/rotor move with it, so its probably not just the lugs being loose
25064, RE: sliiight squeaking sound coming off of a control arm bushing...
Oh. I guess those would be balljoints.

Fuuuuuuuuuuun!

bad ball joints = camber problem? (=reason im getting this crazy slapping sound etcetera)
25076, RE: sliiight squeaking sound coming off of a control arm bushing...
ugh turns out the previous owner had installed some ghetto ass camber kit, drivers side one got all loose+allowed control arm to fly around

didnt notice it the other day... just have to replace control arm(s)

I generated this page in 0.0093109607696533 seconds, executing 7 queries.