Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectjust got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=23485
23485, just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've posted about this before... about 2 years ago I bought my wheels and tires (Enkei 5+ and Phantom HRX 225/45/17's) at discount tire...

Our cars obviously have hubcentric wheels (or require them) well those 5+'s along with most every other aftermarket wheel are NOT hubcentric....

I've been driving around for about 2 years without those rings and have had some vibrations with speed (correctly balanced wheels, except one which needs attention this week)... Since I was at Discount tire this weekend for some tires for my dads car I decided to bring in my reciept for my wheels.... They gave my the rings at no cost because I was supposed to get them in the first place...

These rings are made by Gorilla... they are some type of plastic (and before you are like "plastic?! that won't hold" let me explain)... These rings, yes, they are plastic, but they seem to be a Thermo-setting type plastic (for those people who don't understand most materials terminology, thermo-setting plastics are non-recyclable, and cannot be melted down)... and as a lot of thermo-setts go (very dense and hard), these seem to be harder than 6061-T6 Aluminum... meaning that they will be able to support the weight of the car without deformation...

anywho.. I put them on and it made a world of a difference... the ride feels much better, a little less road noise through suspension components (decreased sound transmission for some odd reason), and the "off-balance" feel is gone... for 3 of my wheels at least... one needs to be balanced real bad (too many weights in one spot... I could tell because there was a slightly low spot where the weights were)....

MORAL OF THE STORY... If you don't have these rings... GET THEM!!!... If you already have them, Good For You!!! :thumbsup
23486, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by EvuLFleA, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I need to buy another set. When I took my wheels off last winter the rings stuck and when I pried them off of the car they broke.
23492, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by coppereclipse95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Question: What do they look like and where do they go? I just got some new wheels, I don't think it came with anything like that. How much do they cost? What do they actually do?
23493, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them

they go into the center bore of the wheel...
you should be able to get them where you purchased your wheels... for me it was discount tire... "if" I had to pay it would have come out to about $30... but since I was supposed to get them in the first place, I got them for free...

some places want $5-$10 a ring (others rape you and want more)... but at discount tire it should be around $30 (max) a set.
23497, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by EvuLFleA, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You know not every wheel will work with rings.
23498, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Originally posted by EvuLFleA
You know not every wheel will work with rings.

that is correct... I neglected to clarify on that, sorry. They "say" I don't need them for my wheels, but when you have a bad hub laying around with no lug posts in it, and the wheel sitting in your garage, you find out that there is a major gap... what I was meaning is IF you have that gap they are needed... I for one didn't like the fact that the weight of the car was resting on my lugs instead of the nipple thing on my hub.
23516, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by MCubed45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 95_ESi_Person
Originally posted by EvuLFleA You know not every wheel will work with rings.
that is correct... I neglected to clarify on that, sorry. They "say" I don't need them for my wheels, but when you have a bad hub laying around with no lug posts in it, and the wheel sitting in your garage, you find out that there is a major gap... what I was meaning is IF you have that gap they are needed... I for one didn't like the fact that the weight of the car was resting on my lugs instead of the nipple thing on my hub.

ya it all depends on what the center bore of your particular wheel is like. my rims needed em but luckily the vendor sent 'em along with lugs when they shipped my wheels. thanks for posting a pic so we don't get into a long stupid argument again where people think we're talking about hubcentric spacers (for pushing wheels out). :P
23524, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by WickedESi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am POSITIVE this is what's causing my high speed vibration (100mph+), my car is perfectly aligned, wheels 0 balanced, axles brand new, solid mm's, no steering play, etc.. etc..

I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Wheelmax has on there main site a link to info all about them, and you can also purchase them.

http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?track=WM
23525, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by Pushin420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by WickedESi
I am POSITIVE this is what's causing my high speed vibration (100mph+), my car is perfectly aligned, wheels 0 balanced, axles brand new, solid mm's, no steering play, etc.. etc.. I can't wait for mine to arrive. Wheelmax has on there main site a link to info all about them, and you can also purchase them. http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?track=WM

How can I tell if my new rims would need them...They are RS Limited, for refrance. I do feel a little shimmy and the wheels are balanced and stuff...How can I find out?
23526, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Originally posted by Pushin420a
How can I tell if my new rims would need them...They are RS Limited, for refrance. I do feel a little shimmy and the wheels are balanced and stuff...How can I find out?

Just look on the inside of the wheel, it should be obvious if it's not the right size (which most likely it isn't).

23539, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them

ya just use the little search thing on their page...
http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?Make=MITSUBISHI&Model=ECLIPSE&Year=97-ON&Wheel=RS+Limited&sub=ringsresults&cat=hubcentric&Submit.x=39&Submit.y=10

PLASTIC Hubcentric Rings for a 97-ON , MITSUBISHI, ECLIPSE with RS Limited Wheels
$34.95
Buy Now
23540, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Originally posted by MCubed45
Originally posted by Pushin420a How can I tell if my new rims would need them...They are RS Limited, for refrance. I do feel a little shimmy and the wheels are balanced and stuff...How can I find out?
ya just use the little search thing on their page... http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?Make=MITSUBISHI&Model=ECLIPSE&Year=97-ON&Wheel=RS+Limited&sub=ringsresults&cat=hubcentric&Submit.x=39&Submit.y=10 PLASTIC Hubcentric Rings for a 97-ON , MITSUBISHI, ECLIPSE with RS Limited Wheels $34.95 Buy Now

Yeh but They all seem to be the same is this true? DO they use one type for many different rims.
23543, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
The do if the OD (outter diameter: diamater of wheel hole) and the ID (inner diameter: diamter of our hub mating ring) are the same size.
23544, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
ya they aren't gonna be a special model for 97 eclipse with rs-limited wheels. as long as the diameters match they're pretty universal. i'd imagine that most wheel manufacturers use a very similar center bore on their wheels. after that it's jsut a matter of matching the ring to your vehicle's hub.
23557, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by eclipse804, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Does anyone have 17" Exel TZ-10's? I know some of you do, but do you have the hubcentric rings? I don't, but my car seems to ride normal. I remember the wheelmax sales guy saying I didn't need them, but they just say anything to make the sale...
23558, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by willmayo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
for those who dont know i work at belle tire and i'm a big dumbass :thumbsup , anyway we have shitloads of these things just chillin in the warehouse at work, and i know i dont have them on my car. i also know that my rims dont fit the hub right and my front end (although perfectly 00 balanced) vibrates like a bitch. i think i'm gonna gank some tomorrow (what? steal from work???) and see what happens..
23569, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Originally posted by willmayo
for those who dont know i work at belle tire and i'm a big dumbass :thumbsup , anyway we have shitloads of these things just chillin in the warehouse at work, and i know i dont have them on my car. i also know that my rims dont fit the hub right and my front end (although perfectly 00 balanced) vibrates like a bitch. i think i'm gonna gank some tomorrow (what? steal from work???) and see what happens..

lol cool. can you get 2gnt the same discount you get? :thumbsup
23571, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by willmayo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by MCubed45
Originally posted by willmayo for those who dont know i work at belle tire and i'm a big dumbass :thumbsup , anyway we have shitloads of these things just chillin in the warehouse at work, and i know i dont have them on my car. i also know that my rims dont fit the hub right and my front end (although perfectly 00 balanced) vibrates like a bitch. i think i'm gonna gank some tomorrow (what? steal from work???) and see what happens..
lol cool. can you get 2gnt the same discount you get? :thumbsup

i'll see what i can do. anyone know the diameter of the "nipple" on the hub?? theres a giant box full of every ring you could ever need lol.
23672, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by volrath, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eclipse804
Does anyone have 17" Exel TZ-10's? I know some of you do, but do you have the hubcentric rings? I don't, but my car seems to ride normal. I remember the wheelmax sales guy saying I didn't need them, but they just say anything to make the sale...

I have excel tz-7s and they did not come with rings. However, I have a truckload and a half of vibration. I might try some rings.
23563, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by AznKaos15, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by WickedESi I am POSITIVE this is what's causing my high speed vibration (100mph+), my car is perfectly aligned, wheels 0 balanced, axles brand new, solid mm's, no steering play, etc.. etc.. I can't wait for mine to arrive. Wheelmax has on there main site a link to info all about them, and you can also purchase them. http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?track=WM

you will need them. i have rs limited wheels also. the center bore on our wheels are 72.6. the hub is 67.1. never tried driving without them because i made sure i bought the hub rings before putting my new wheels on so i can't tell you if i felt any difference.

23565, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
I am POSITIVE this is what's causing my high speed vibration (100mph+), my car is perfectly aligned, wheels 0 balanced, axles brand new, solid mm's, no steering play, etc.. etc.. I can't wait for mine to arrive. Wheelmax has on there main site a link to info all about them, and you can also purchase them. http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?track=WM

Well just so you guys know, I just put my rings on, and my vibrations are GONE.
23574, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Originally posted by WickedESi I am POSITIVE this is what's causing my high speed vibration (100mph+), my car is perfectly aligned, wheels 0 balanced, axles brand new, solid mm's, no steering play, etc.. etc.. I can't wait for mine to arrive. Wheelmax has on there main site a link to info all about them, and you can also purchase them. http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?track=WM
Well just so you guys know, I just put my rings on, and my vibrations are GONE.

Thanks I'm gonna do this ASAP...I thought I had a allignment issue thanks man...POINTS
23573, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Wow, interesting stuff. I have enkei's as well, so I'm thinking we must be in the same boat. I'm going to buy some off that justforwheels site, unless you guys know of a better place?
23576, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Originally posted by ez
Wow, interesting stuff. I have enkei's as well, so I'm thinking we must be in the same boat. I'm going to buy some off that justforwheels site, unless you guys know of a better place?

I got mine from a local Big10 Tires shop for $20.
23656, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by Initial DSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Willmayo, can you please hit me up when you get these installed? I have the exact same wheels as you thanks.
23711, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by wickedtalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just went to a local rim/tire shop and they said they didnt have any for sale. I have the Enkie 5+ and the ride is very shitty compared to my stockers. Lots of vibrations at high speeds. Im ordering them NOW. I think this is what F'ed up my 95 Talon. I had to buy new wheel hubs for it. The rims messed up my other hubs so bad it was dangerous. I would almost loose control in the rain... w/ new tires. It also makes the tires bald in some areas and have full tread in others. BUY THEM IF YOUR WHEELS VIBRATE BAD AT 70+mph!!!!!!!!!!!!!
23712, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
I just ordered my rings...hope to get them soon...

NO store aroudn here had them...I had to order them on line.
23794, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by coppereclipse95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
After reading this thread, I ordered a set few weeks ago and installed it yesterday. Talk about difference, WOW!! It is worth it. I paid like ~$40 for it, but my high speed vibration are gone now. Now, it feels weired not having vibration anymore... :P
23799, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Posted by wickedtalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i got mine. tried to put them on tonight and sheared my lug nuts!
23800, RE: just got some hubcentric rings (READ!!!).. especially those who don't have them
Originally posted by wickedtalon
i got mine. tried to put them on tonight and sheared my lug nuts!

Their not suppose to do that :9
I generated this page in 0.014014005661011 seconds, executing 7 queries.