Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectCar veers to the right under braking
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=22839
22839, Car veers to the right under braking
Posted by SilverRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
When I brake suddenly from like 80 or above my car tries to go to the right suddenly. It scares me sometimes, I don't do it anymore. What do you think it could be? Is it normal? I don't think my alignment is too bad because when I am cruising the car very slightly steers to the right.

Thanks
22840, RE: Car veers to the right under braking
Posted by Pushin420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Simply stated....You need a brake job.

One of your calipers may also be sticking. You should just do a front brake job, mabey a new set of rotors while your there. You may be able to get away with cutting down your rotors, but our cars are best with new ones. There not that much anyhow, put some nice cross drilled\slotted ones up there, there made for people like you.
"people who like speed"

While you have your brakes apart, make sure you have movement in both calipers and pistons, and neither are frozen or slow.

Throw a nice new set of pads and you should be all set..

Good Luck. If you need any more help hit me up on aim...I can walk you through it.:thumbsup
22850, RE: Car veers to the right under braking
Posted by MCubed45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
also check for any leaks in your calipers/cylinders. and bleed your brakes while you're at it. my right rear cylinder has a tiny leak. i was in the middle of changing both cylinders and pads an needed to drive so i put everything back together w/o bleeding the brakes. (decent amount of fluid had leaked out've the right rear line). damn was that scary to drive. lotsa air in the line = super soft pedal and major pulling to the right.

haha actually i ended up not swapping the cylinders b/c early 95's dont fit the cylinders from the rest've 2G drum brakes... so i still have a leak. but ironically that tiny leak bled the line for me. the braking's about to where it was before i trying to swap the cylinders. :P

i'll rebuild the cylinder one day.. the kit is sitting in my garage :P
22855, RE: Car veers to the right under braking
Posted by SilverRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What is the best way to find leaks? I just bought new rotors and pads like 4 months ago, I replaced one caliper. I think it might be the master cylinder, is that hard or expensive to change? There is one cylinder on each side? Sorry if these are dumb quesions.

Thanks
22882, RE: Car veers to the right under braking
Posted by OldGuy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yes there are two cylinders in the rear. One each side. NOT dumb questions! Looking for leaks is easy...Look for wet spot! ;) Seriously, you will see a fluid trail comiing down the inside of the wheel if it is really leaking. If it isn't then you may only see a damp area inside the wheel or on the backing plate. As for the Master Cylinder, the hardest part about that is making sure that it gets bled completely.
Also make sure thaat if you do replace the rotors, you clean the face of the hub that the rotor mounts to of all rust deposits and anything else. That could cause a vibration later on because the wheel is not seated properly. Anything else just ask! Lots of experience on this forum to help ya out.
22858, RE: Car veers to the right under braking
Posted by Remy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Pushin420a
Simply stated....You need a brake job. One of your calipers may also be sticking. You should just do a front brake job, mabey a new set of rotors while your there. You may be able to get away with cutting down your rotors, but our cars are best with new ones. There not that much anyhow, put some nice cross drilled\slotted ones up there, there made for people like you. "people who like speed" While you have your brakes apart, make sure you have movement in both calipers and pistons, and neither are frozen or slow. Throw a nice new set of pads and you should be all set..

Also when you have done that get a wheel alignment again.

22981, RE: Car veers to the right under braking
Posted by thedawg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
And make sure your tires are uniformly inflated.
I generated this page in 0.0083239078521729 seconds, executing 7 queries.