Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectNEWBIE ?'s on lowering
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=22461
22461, NEWBIE ?'s on lowering
Posted by orzech, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I did a searcha nd still wasnt sure what i should do about lowering. This psring i am getting my stock complete 97-99 kit. I am looking to lower my car 1.5 inces. I herd this is a good amount and i plan on gettings some 18's.

My questions are how much is an average price for some lowering springs?
I have herd of a bunch of brands but dont know which ones?
Should i buy struts too?
Is it an easy task to change your springs?
I will be driving i the winter too so i will prolly change the springs every summer and winter so should i go with an adjustable strut?

I want the cheapest, versitile, smoothest ride. How much will this set me back?
22462, RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering
Posted by injendsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by orzech
I did a searcha nd still wasnt sure what i should do about lowering. This psring i am getting my stock complete 97-99 kit. I am looking to lower my car 1.5 inces. I herd this is a good amount and i plan on gettings some 18's. My questions are how much is an average price for some lowering springs? I have herd of a bunch of brands but dont know which ones? Should i buy struts too? Is it an easy task to change your springs? I will be driving i the winter too so i will prolly change the springs every summer and winter so should i go with an adjustable strut? I want the cheapest, versitile, smoothest ride. How much will this set me back?

if you want a 1.5" drop for fairly cheap while still having a great product, look into tein s tech springs and eibach pro kits. as far as struts are concerned, look into koni yellows and tokico illuminas. those are both adjustable and are pretty good shocks from what ive heard. this setup should set you back four or five hundred.
22463, RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering
yeah, tahts what i herd,

if i get the adjustable struts, does that mean i can adjust back to stock height or lower 1.5 inches if i want? How mcuh will the struts be? b/c i am possible going to trade/sell some blitz skirts for some springs.
22467, RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I did a searcha nd still wasnt sure what i should do about lowering. This psring i am getting my stock complete 97-99 kit. I am looking to lower my car 1.5 inces. I herd this is a good amount and i plan on gettings some 18's. My questions are how much is an average price for some lowering springs? I have herd of a bunch of brands but dont know which ones? Should i buy struts too? Is it an easy task to change your springs? I will be driving i the winter too so i will prolly change the springs every summer and winter so should i go with an adjustable strut? I want the cheapest, versitile, smoothest ride. How much will this set me back?

I run the H&R Sport springs. Around 200 for all 4. Expect to pay around there for quality springs. Don't go cheap! These springs are excellent, and ride is pretty good using the stock struts(for now). It lowered my front just about 2", and the rear at 1.75". Looks and handles great for stock struts still on there. If you want ride quality adjustabilty, then get some adjustable shocks. They are more expensive than most other non adjustables, but you can tailor your ride quality with just the turn of a screw. Tokiko and KYB AGX are prob the cheapest ones out there, yet still good quality. YOu normally can't adjust the ride height with adjustable shocks, if you really want height adjustablity, get coilover springs. But be forwarned, cheap coilovers really do suck, and are usually noisy. Good quality coilovers are usally in the 800+ dollar range..
22469, RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering
on average, how long does it take to change all your springs? B/c i will be doing this 2 times a year. but ill prolly be changing rims too, so it wont be that hard.
22473, RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
on average, how long does it take to change all your springs? B/c i will be doing this 2 times a year. but ill prolly be changing rims too, so it wont be that hard.

the more times you do it, the faster you get. :P
edit: another option would be a coil over setup. To change the height would consist of turning some rings. I think you can get the low end Tein coil overs for like $700 or something...
22482, RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering
dont have that kind of money, i am 17 and only work in the summer due to sports.
22504, RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering
Posted by 96Eclipsed, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
In answer to your earlier question, the adjustable struts/shocks are for ride stiffness/softness not height.

If you want to adjust the ride height, you'll either want Coil overs (cheapest however you still have to replace the shocks/struts with probably illuminas or konis) or a true coilover like Tien Basic Dampers which replace the normal springs and shocks/struts completely.
22505, RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering
Posted by scdsmracr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i just replaced my shocks and springs with coilovers and tokico illuminas. only took me 2 hours to do everything. i could have done it in a hour and a half but i painted my clipers too. i also have the conveince of a lift so that helped out alot too.
22507, RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering
Posted by DSM_John, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
my question is whether you have access to a spring compressor. you can rent a crappy one or take your stock shocks/springs to a dealership. luckily my dad is a head service manager so i could do it for free. you're going to need your bump stops out of the original setup. as far as height adjustability, it will be a pain to keep changing springs all the time if you don't want to pay for a true coilover setup. any other type of coilover sucks. i had first hand experience putting arospeed's on my buddy's '03 civic si. needless to say, he ended up buying new h&r springs.
I generated this page in 0.0094788074493408 seconds, executing 7 queries.