Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectrebuilding rotors?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=19940
19940, rebuilding rotors?
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
anyone have a write up? is the info in the chiltons pretty good on it? what's required? I may have figured out (thanks to others here :thumbsup ) why I constantly warp my rotors! WoOT!
19942, RE: rebuilding rotors?
Posted by Squid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Do you mean calipers? You can't rebuild rotors, you can have them turned.
19944, RE: rebuilding rotors?
Posted by woo2gnt97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The rotors being rebuilt? I do not know anything about that.

I know I had my calipers on my VR4 replaced with rebuilt ones at AutoZone. It was like $50 for a "rebuild kit" for my calipers where I would have to rebuild them myself. Or I could pay $60 and they would do it for me. I had them do it for me and just gave them my core.

I also got my rotors on my VR4 turned at VIP auto for like $15 a rotor.

These were prices for my VR4. It has dual piston calipers up front and singles in the back and the rotors are fairly massive. I'm sure prices for a 2gnt would be a little cheaper.

I hope some of my info helps.
19984, RE: rebuilding rotors?
Posted by thedawg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If you have stock 2gnt rotors, you're going to warp them. You can turn them once or twice but they're totally inadequate IMO.

If you're warping powerslots or brembos, you need to be more careful torquing your lug nuts the same. Or stop driving 170+ :+
19997, RE: rebuilding rotors?
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You know? I was looking at this and trying to figure out why on earth I would ask about rebuilding rotors. What a dumbsit am I for that one! I meant the calipers as you all so intelligently figured out and politely explained, despite my faux pas. I appreciate the lack of flamage here! This is how it's supposed to work! :thumbsup
19998, RE: rebuilding rotors?
Posted by thedawg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Woo makes a good point, that its almost as cost effective to just buy new ones at autozone.

But I just rebuilt my GSX calipers... here goes:

- Remove bleeder
- Drain as much brake fluid out as you can
There is a metal or plastic ring holding the rubber boot on the caliper side of each piston. The piston side of the boot is just held on by the boot itself Theres two ways to remove the retaining ring.
- Right way: Pry it out carefully, take care not to scratch the piston or caliper
- My way: Replace bleeder, Stick an air gun on the piston, blow them out. For DPC's, you need to hold one piston in place to get the other one to shoot out.
- once the pistons are out, you can remove whats left of the boots and ring.
- There is a little o-ring inside the bore that looks like part of the caliper. It's rubber, take it out.
- Take any other doodads off the caliper, spray it down good with brake cleaner
- Now's the time to mask off the exposed metal surfaces, polish and paint
- A "caliper rebuild kit" at autozone costs 5-10 bux and has a boot, o-ring, and retaining ring. This is what you want.
- There's also a "full rebuild kit" that contains all the above, plus bolts, mounting clips, anti-rattle clips, slider boots, etc.etc. that costs like $40
I generated this page in 0.0087459087371826 seconds, executing 7 queries.