Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectStruts are Clanking
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=19901
19901, Struts are Clanking
Posted by Tman, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ok i have posted this problem before and everybody came to the conclusion that i needed my the dust cover/cup on my struts because i forgot to put them back on. I finally was able to find somebody selling them. I put them on and i still have the same problem. Basically is seems like there is nothing forcing the strut against the car and my springs are doing all the work. The struts just stick up through the car and the car moves up and down and struts just stick straight up (higher than normal). Im not sure if they are not assembled right or what. I have read the write up on it and it really doesn't help me. This is the order i have everything in: Strut, then i slide the bump stop on, then i put the dust cover/ cup thing on, then i put the spring on , and then the top on...i put a rubber thing on top and then a washer and then the bolt. Does that sound about right? Im thinking i MAY be missing something. I would love it if somebody could help me out. PLEASE.
19902, RE: Struts are Clanking
Posted by TXrepresent, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
There is another rubber thing that goes on after the dust cup/cover thing, before the top part goes on.
19903, RE: Struts are Clanking
Posted by CoprEklipz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
This would be the bump stop...some shocks come with them, some don't. If you need them, I'll send you a pair for free.

By the way, is this JUST in the rear that you're having problems?
19905, RE: Struts are Clanking
No i have the bump stops on all fours...They are cut a little shorter but they are still on there...When i took my strut off awhile ago the bump stop was sittong on the base of the strut and slid off of the hump it rests on. I dont have a rubber piece after the dust cover so maybe that will do the trick...Do you know where i can order a hole new set of rubber peices for all fours? I am missing some and i am assuming it takes two rubber peices per strut...one after the dust cup and one before the washer, correct? I was having problems with the front (i have two dents on my hood) but after i put the dust covers/cups on the front they aren't too bad but they still make noise...they just aren't hitting the hood anymore. The rear ones are TERRIBLY loud and the nut comes down and clanks against the washer. I really appreciate the help guys. This has caused many headaches for me.
19907, RE: Struts are Clanking
Posted by TXrepresent, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have some new extra ones. Just pay for shipping and you can have them. Also there should be a big rubber peice that fits on the metal mount and goes over the spring, do you have that?
19914, RE: Struts are Clanking
Well my dad said he would get some rubber washers from work tomorrow, and i have the big rubber things that fit on the metal mount (bump stops) but they slide off of the mount and end up resting on the base of the strut and i was wondering if that could cause a problem. Anybody have any other ideas? and btw what are suspension bushings? if thats what the rubber things are they are supose to help my handeling then i guess i could buy some after market ones. I dunno.
19930, RE: Struts are Clanking
Bump...anybody?
19996, RE: Struts are Clanking
ttt
20011, RE: Struts are Clanking
Posted by Nackers, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Talk to babyeclipse. He has the same problem so maybe the 2 of you can figure it out together. He has some pieces of tire on there but it dosen't help. Talk to him imo.
20012, RE: Struts are Clanking
Posted by EvuLFleA, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
NOOOOOOOOO.

Here is your answer. Period.

Inside of the dust cap there is a washer. The washer is what holdes the strut rod down. Get a 1/8" thick washer that fits over the top of the strut rod and that will not go past the part about 2-3 inches down from the top. If you don't know what I mean I'll take pics. There usually is a black washer in the dust cover. It's about 2 inches in diameter.
20013, RE: Struts are Clanking
Are the washers connected to the cup itself? If not I am sure I can find a strong washer that can fit and hold the cup ontop of that lump on the strut. Is there suppose to be a rubber peice AFTER the cup too? Well i will have this done next week after nopi, just let me know what if i have everthing correct. strut then bump stop then a washer then the cup then another rubber peice then the top and then another rubber peice, washer, and bolt...let me know if im correct. Thank you SOOO much man.
20016, RE: Struts are Clanking
Posted by EvuLFleA, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You can order all you need from an auto parts store for about $30. (Which includes the washer deal and the rest of the top mounting bracket)

Herre's a pic for you.

I generated this page in 0.015735149383545 seconds, executing 7 queries.