Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectBrake Rotor Removal
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=17640
17640, Brake Rotor Removal
Posted by derek, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys,
I'm about to remove my rotors and I've looked in the forums for a write up. I found one but didn't give what I was looking for. Also, I have a Chilton's and I'm not so sure that it's too accurate either.
Here's the question: In order to remove the rotor, do I need to take out that big ass bolt in the middle? It seems as though the rotor will not slide out unless I remove the big bolt, along with that metal piece attached to it.

Here's a .bmp (large)
www.csupomona.edu/~dpacifico/disk.bmp
17641, RE: Brake Rotor Removal
Posted by JasonESi_T, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

>Here's the question: In order to remove the rotor, do I need
>to take out that big ass bolt in the middle? It seems as
>though the rotor will not slide out unless I remove the big
>bolt, along with that metal piece attached to it.

No way man. Don't bother with the axle nut.

Here's a great VFAQ. It save me before. I was just disappointed I hadn't used the method sooner! :thumbsup

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/BrakeRotors.html
17643, RE: Brake Rotor Removal
Posted by derek, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply and the answer I was looking for... *points*
-derek
17693, RE: Brake Rotor Removal
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
There also are two threaded hole in the rotor itself that you can thread a smalled bolt into to push against the hub, but old rusty rotors, a lot of times will strip those threads out.

Could have used to remember that VFAQ method for Chris...

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Cams, Hooker Header, ERT/Catco Cat, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC
17696, RE: Brake Rotor Removal
Posted by mike_d, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I had to use the BFH (big fukin' hammer) method to get one of my rotors off. All you do is pound on it with the biggest hammer you can find. This method is only recomended if you are going to put on new rotors since the old ones will be beat to hell. Hey it worked for me.
17706, RE: Brake Rotor Removal
Posted by 1sweet98talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My best advice for talon/eclipse brake rotors(i have done 20+ rotors).... get all anger together, and bang the hell out of them. Joking..actually 4 or 5 times we had to break the rotor in pieces to acctually get it off.
Try the bolt in the hole trick first...if that doesnt work:
-Get PB blaster, spray around the rotor where it contacts.
-Get a block of wood, and hammer it against the rotor, trying to brake it free.
-If that doesnt work, directly hit the rotor w/a hammer.
-If that doesnt work, get a puller and pull if off.

Oh, and always put antiseize on the new rotor/old rotor where it contacts the hub. This will save agrivation the next time you do them.
17707, RE: Brake Rotor Removal
Posted by JasonESi_T, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I had tried all of the above methods before when removing mine, without much success. I can't recommend that VFAQ enough.

It truly is the way to go without all of the noise. (Thank God someone invented the wheel!)
17708, RE: Brake Rotor Removal
Posted by SILVERNT, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hmm, i wish we new about that vfaq michael, lol, oh well, theyre on now.
later
chris
I generated this page in 0.0095207691192627 seconds, executing 7 queries.