Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjecteh. I'm too rough on brake pads. What should I get?>
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=16787
16787, eh. I'm too rough on brake pads. What should I get?>
Posted by 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My car goes through more pads in a year than a woman does. *not really*

What are some pads that work out pretty nice, don't wear down quick, and don't produce brake dust as bad? Or can you not get it all in 1 package? I hear good things about EBC green stuff pads. Anyone know if they are good? Also, where is a good place to get them? Advance here prolly doesn't have them.
16806, RE: eh. I'm too rough on brake pads. What should I get?>
ttt
16807, RE: eh. I'm too rough on brake pads. What should I get?>
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I hear Kotex are pretty good. naw, well I hear good things about EBC too. try them out. were using metallic ones b4?
16809, RE: eh. I'm too rough on brake pads. What should I get?>
I dunno what I have really. I went by my dad's shop and he was about to make a parts run to advance. I was like, "while you're out; get the best pads the have." I gave him some money and he came back with the pads. They suck tho. I am rough on brakes. I don't stop 100 feet back. :P I'mma try some EBC's if I find where to get them.
16811, RE: eh. I'm too rough on brake pads. What should I get?>
Posted by KLIPZED, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
See, i have a very similar prob 9d9, i got through rotors like crazy...guess its just time to step up to the GSX calipers and rotors
16819, RE: eh. I'm too rough on brake pads. What should I get?>
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well i work with a company that puts on a lot of shows, computer , home, speed/sports. on the last one i went to a lot of the vendors, talked to them about our members and possible group buys...

amoung 300 aluminum radiators ( shipped), ss brake line deals and such I talked to the ebc company. I should really look into this and see if we can get a deal going gb or maybe 2gnt permanent deal...who knows...?
16823, RE: eh. I'm too rough on brake pads. What should I get?>
Posted by BuckNutty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have EBC Red Stuff pads, damn fine product. They are dusty though, aka their claim is false :p. But I love em. Definately worth the cash.
16824, EBC's suck
Posted by JasonESi_T, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have EBC's right now. They suck. They burn up more dust than you can imagine, and they don't stop as nicely as my old autozone specials did. I was able to get a good deal one them, and now I regret it. They were pretty nice in the beginning, but once all that green stuff burns off, which is pretty quickly, they sucked ass in a hurry.

I want something new right now myself.
16825, RE: EBC's suck
how about cf pads? or kevlar. whatever? are those better than the metal masters or whatever. I have also heard good things about those. What's the best thing to get good braking and not a ton of dusting? someone has to know.
16826, RE: EBC's suck
I remember hearing sumthin a lil while back about ceramic pads. NAPA sells them, again i am goin on memory, so i could be wrong.
16827, I Love Mine!! (my recommendation inside)
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am VERY pleased with my KVR carbon fiber pads and cross-drilled rotors. Stops beatifully, no fade, no warping, and very little brake dust.

For those in the market, Jason and others, I highly recommend these pads! I bought then from a place called SP Motorsports. http://www.spmotorsports.com

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Cams, Hooker Header, ERT/Catco Cat, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC
16833, RE: I Love Mine!! (my recommendation inside)
Posted by WickedESi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I love my EBC GreenStuff brake pads! I can stop on a dime. (I also have brembo rotors). They don't squeak, they produce like 30% less brake dust then semi-metallics but that's not a huge difference. The RedStuff pads arn't 'designed' to produce little brake dust but since they are part organic (RedStuff arn't full organics) I'm sure the produce a *little* less. I highly recommend the GreenStuff pads if you are looking for the best brakes for a daily driver car w/ track day use. RedStuff really should only be used on larger cars or autocross cars, because they have to warm up before they bite good. (EBC also makes YellowStuff for FULL race use).

You can get them from LTB motorsports (and also try on eBay):
http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/mitsubishi.html
16834, RE: I Love Mine!! (my recommendation inside)
Hehe.....i oredered green stuff pads, but they sent me red, so i didn't complain and jus installed the bitches :P
16865, RE: I Love Mine!! (my recommendation inside)
Posted by ToTaLEkLyPz99, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
axxis metal master pads are great i got them and slotted rotors..:thumbsup
16874, RE: I Love Mine!! (my recommendation inside)
metal masters or green stuff? I am gonna try and get this next weekend. :7
16881, RE: I Love Mine!! (my recommendation inside)
Posted by juggalo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i have the raybestos ceramic pads on. they work damn good. hardly any brake dust, no squeeking, and they stop way better that the stock pads.
16882, RE: I Love Mine!! (my recommendation inside)
Posted by fasterGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ceramic pads are great for everyday driving, but I have heard you can melt them :o The only time I have heard of that happening was at a road track though.
16895, RE: I Love Mine!! (my recommendation inside)
Posted by 97eclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i'm runnin' metal masters and powerslots. it's a real nice combination.. had them for a year now, and they stop great. not too much dust either.
16896, RE: I Love Mine!! (my recommendation inside)
Posted by Kirby, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Don't use the green stuff's with powerslots cause they will warp your rotors.I have the hawk's now, much better.
16943, RE: I Love Mine!! (my recommendation inside)
Posted by John99RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah, I'm with Jason on the EBC Green Stuff pads also. I think they suck ass. They were great when I first got them but now they make more dust than the factory Mitsu pads (they are great for no sqealing though). I also think they are the reason my powerslots are now warping. I'm going to change them as soon as I find something better.
16944, RE: I Love Mine!! (my recommendation inside)
Posted by WickedESi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
How would organic pads warp your rotors?
16948, RE: I Love Mine!! (my recommendation inside)
Posted by John99RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know they "claim" they aren't supposed to be harmful to rotors, but I came across a website with over 50 reviews that these EBC Green Stuff pads are not what they claim to be.....almost all of these people have warped rotors and no problems with other types of pads. All cases have large amounts of brake dust and over half have brake sqealing all the time. I know some people have and like these pads, but the majority rules on this one. I don't think these are totally organic pads either....even if they do claim that.
16950, RE: I Love Mine!! (my recommendation inside)
Posted by HadesOmega, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well I love the brakes on the DSM they're great. I'm running stock mitsu pads on my DPCs right now and I've hardly faded them, I think I only faded them when I was doing all those left foot braking drifts on the track, the pads started cracking and stuff haha.

I used to have metal masters on my stock rotors/calipers and those are great too I hardly faded those, after a long canyon run though they would get pretty hot but still grabbed.

I've been seeing these ceramic pads at kragen and Napa I think i might try them out next, they cost as much as metal masters though so I'm not sure.

what are you doing that causes you to eat up brakes? Are you riding the brakes? or hecka 100 MPH to 0MPH emergency brakes? I use heal and toe to slow down and engine braking all the time. I don't have trouble with brakes pads unless I glaze them and that only happened once and remember I use my car for drifting, touge, autox, highwaybattle, etc.... so I really do use them.
16964, RE: I Love Mine!! (my recommendation inside)
I just don't start slowing down 100 feet back all. My dad says I wait till the last minute. I am not gonna roll 5 for 50 feet tho like my mom. That's just stupid imo. I don't go through pads THAT bad, but a lot sooner than normal. Pads may last me like 12k. I haven't ever had good ones tho. The best advance sells probably aren't as good as the metal masters and stuff. Time to step it up. I have brake checked a few people on this set of pads. }( so, metal masters seem like the way to go. I saw some cf pads for like 54 tho. So- metal masters or cf? I'm scared of EBC's now.
16966, re: heel-toe
Posted by juan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>what are you doing that causes you to eat up brakes? Are you
>riding the brakes? or hecka 100 MPH to 0MPH emergency brakes?
> I use heal and toe to slow down and engine braking all the
>time.

just a point, its probably better to put wear on your brakes ($) than the clutch/tranny/motor ($$$$$). I used to heel-toe all the time too, till that idea settled in. Now I only do it when turning.

juan
16967, RE: eh. I'm too rough on brake pads. What should I get?>
I'm quite happy with my current combo of Porterfield R4-S up front and KVR's in the back. I don't find dusting to be a problem, but I have Anthracite K1's which camouflages it a bit.

Only issue with the Porterfields is they don't have a wear indicator, so you have to keep an eye on them yourself.

I had MetalMasters several years ago, but was put off by the nasty brown dust they made. I hear that some dust brown, some black, but there was no way to tell in advance. Performancewise the R4-S is much superior anyways, IMO.

juan
16975, RE: eh. I'm too rough on brake pads. What should I get?>
next question- where can I buy some of these pads? I wanna check prices and stuff. Porterfields aren't the $140 ones are they?
16977, RE: eh. I'm too rough on brake pads. What should I get?>
The R4-S pads are $89 at RRE. They do have the R4 and R4-E for $150, but you won't want those for a street car.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclbrakes.htm

juan
16978, RE: eh. I'm too rough on brake pads. What should I get?>
Posted by Remy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i got some from the dealer that worked well for me for a long time.

95 gs-t
6 bolt swap
T-2small turbo
15 Psi
Joe P mbc
Greddy uip
Greddy lip
Greddy bov
Supra smic
Borla cat back exhaust
Gutted cat
I generated this page in 0.009350061416626 seconds, executing 7 queries.