Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectI need a Price estimate (please)
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=16223
16223, I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by Weezle745, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
all the local shops are closed right now (its after 6pm) and i just need a general idea of how much it would cost to swap suspensions between 2 eclipses at a shop. i need to swap aftermarket shocks + springs for stock springs + shocks.

any ideas how much it will cost?
thanks in advance

16225, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by FnNitWit81, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Damn, to bad you don't live on this shitty side of the US. I would offer my shop to yah for free, well mabey some pizza. By the way, it's snowing again today and we got a few inches.

I wanna go to florida.
16229, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by DeanoD, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
For a 1G/2G eclipse we charged $100 labor for changing springs/stuts. So the cost would be $200 plus tax. This is in Arkansas and the prices are higher in CA. I would bet it will cost you $250 since you are giving them two cars to do. They would probably charge you $150 for one car.

This is just a guess. An eclipse is very easy to do. My buddy has done one in 45 minutes. This was changing from stock springs/struts to lowered springs/aftermarket struts.

There is no need to go to a high performance speed shop to have it done. Any mechanic shop with a spring compressor could do it. You can even rent a spring compressor from most autopart stores and get your deposit back when you return it(cost is zero).

If the shop has a lift, it will take much less time and this can actually save you money if they are charging by the hour.
16230, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by eclipse_gs_1512, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
it cost me 150 to get my shocks and springs done.....so i'd bet you're looking at 250 or 275.
16231, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by SonicYan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey James, I think u can do it by urself. Ur changing struts with Steve ryt? So u can prolly do it at ur garage if u or he has one. Cuz I was able to swap mine with Derek (he's on the board too) and we just did it in my garage. Take note that I am the worst person when it comes to working with our cars, but we were able to pull it off. We started at 4pm and got done by 3am. :P We took a lot of breaks tho. If u go at it straight, u'll be done 2-4 hours max, if u guys are good. Didn't even get a scratch. Well, Derek kinda knew what he was doing. Just print out Corbin's how to on the main section on how to remove the struts and springs and u'll be fyn. It has detailed instructions and even has pics. Just remember how u removed them so u can put it back together as is.

Ayt, that's it. Just telling u so u can save a few bucks here and there. If I can do it, u can definitely do it. :)
16246, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I agree with Mikey, you should save the money and do it yourself. Do you have all the tools you need? (rent a spring compressor from autozone or something) That's how I am with everything on my car nowadays - if I maintain it myself I can use better products for less money!
16247, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by Clay, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
agreed^ if u need help i can guide u thru the install/deinstall. IM me.
16263, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by PowerEclipses, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I can set records on how fast I can take off that damn suspension... I learned my lesson... Always take your time. You will def. be able to do it. Its just a matter of taking out a few bolts
16267, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by chaye, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
its free if you do it your self
if you need help let me know
chaye21@aol.com
aol im is chaye21
16272, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by pn0ymahal, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if all you got to do is remove the old and drop in the new ( no compressing the spring etc) then its pretty easy. i would no mind helping if i got the time. but if you got to compressing them i rather let my friends shop do it since i dont have the coolness/ tool to do that.. hehe... my friends shop charges around 60-70 for one car to change springs or shock etc.
cool

Michael 99gs
HRC Stage 2 @12psi :D
Stage 3 process begins gathering parts for rebuild

http://www.dreamwater.net/purplebeast
16274, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
well i am droping in an aftermarket combo, in exchange for my stock shocks and springs (that are not attached currently).

i hope i can do it myself with steve (downazzdsm). are you free on wednsday Pnoymahal? i got a quote from a shop for $100 per axel

$100 x 4 axels per car x 2 cars = $800!!!

no way!

can anyone give me a run down of exactly what tools, and sizes of wrenches, etc that i will need? thanks
james.

16275, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by pn0ymahal, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
sorry man im busy for the next few weeks or month. exam each week. wish i had the time, if i did i could play with my car everyday... im unsure of what sizes to use..
Michael 99gs
HRC Stage 2 @12psi :D
Stage 3 process begins gathering parts for rebuild

http://www.dreamwater.net/purplebeast
16289, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by sd_eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Weezle, It's really easy. If you are trading with Steve he is pretty close by to me. We can do the swap at my parents house(huge driveway so we'll have plenty of room) but it would have to be a weekend as im pretty tied up during the week. Im on the north tip of san diego county. Bout 30mins futher south of Murrieta/Temecula. I helped Mikey with his suspension and it went fairly quickly although the spring compressor did get the better of me...lol Well just let me know or PM me and I'll give you my cell #.
16290, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by EvuLFleA, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah if you don't need to take the springs off the struts then I can't imagine it taking more then maybe 2 hours total for both.
16293, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by Mystic511, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
^^^^Yea, if you're swapping the whole thing, it'll be really easy. Just unbolt the whole assembly and switch it to the other car. It's maybe like 4-5 bolts for each one.
16296, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by SonicYan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I helped Mikey with his
>suspension and it went fairly quickly although the spring
>compressor did get the better of me...lol Well just let me
>know or PM me and I'll give you my cell #.

Lolz, I still remember that incident! Dayam, that thing looks so painful... ;( Argh, I have low threshold for pain. Good thing when me and Derek did it, we didn't need a spring compressor. Hehe, I wonder where my stock springs are ryt now Dan. Must be in the middle of that field somewhere... :P

16297, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Hahaha, I've always wanted to try and take the stock springs off the struts without using a spring compressor. See how far that shit can launch.

Anyway, yeah weezle you don't need a spring compressor or anything.

You need (havn't done this for months): 13, 14, 15, 19mm wrenches and a jack and jackstands.

You need stands to keep the front level. If its not level you can't really get the front off without busting your ass. The rear is cake. 3 bolts. The front is 3 bolts on top and I think just the one on the bottom too. Pieace of cake.
16301, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by PowerEclipses, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
power tools and PB, they.... my friend, are your only friends :thumbsup
16303, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by a_miller_76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

Why does everyone keep talking about a spring compressor? I've changed out the suspension on my buddies eclipses several times and we've never used one.
16304, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Have you taken the stock springs off of any strut? They are long and very compressed. You can easily take off lowering springs without a compressor because there isn't any compression.

I havn't used a compressor since my first suspension. Ever since I havn't had to use one with: sprint, skunk2's, arospeed, intrax, and now maxspeed coilovers.
16305, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by fasterGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You can do stock springs without a compressor... just point the damn thing away from your face and your car when you loosen the nut :P Getting the spring compressed to put it back together is another story. What I ended up doing is this... Get it assembled the best you can and get it up in the strut tower. Then take your jack and put it under the strut, and start jacking it up. just keep going up until you see the strut rod poking through the top, then put the nut on and there you go. Kinda the ghetto way to do it, but it works if you are in a bind.
16392, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
ok we did swapped them, the stock springs had to come be placed on the stock struts because i had lowering springs on them before.

the aftermarket combo was easier to install on my car because nothing had to be seperated. a spring compressor was definitely needed to put the stock springs on.

We started at 1pm and finished at 8pm. It took longer because i had to find a place to break one of my wheel locks because my key broke.

if we did it again we could probably do it in less than half the time because we really had no clue what we were doing :)

we both realized why people are willing to pay $800 to do this

16397, RE: I need a Price estimate (please)
Posted by FuSi0N, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Corbin has an excellent write up which I used personally to install my H&Rs along with my shocks. Trust me, this write up makes it so easy to do, its hard to believe that I was going to throw away 80 bucks to have someone install this for me. All you need to do it get the required equiptment, I had to buy a torqe wrench, some jack stands and I rented a set of coil compressors. And of course you're going to need to get it aligned at a shop.

http://www.2gnt.com/www/corbin/struts.html
I generated this page in 0.01505708694458 seconds, executing 7 queries.