Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectGSX Caliper & AEM Brake Upgrade
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=13868
13868, GSX Caliper & AEM Brake Upgrade
Posted by MCubed45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
k so i'm pretty sure this's the setup i wanna go with... is there anything else i need besides what comes with the aem kit and the gsx calipers? if i can't find the calipers anywhere, anyone know about what they run for from satan? not sure exactly when i'll be doin this, as it requires that i get my rims first but i just wanna figure out what to get. oh i wanted to go with the AWD rotors. this should fill out some 17's nicely, yes?

'95 RS 5spd Red
Black Chrome Matrix Type X CAI
A'pexi N1 Catback Turbo Exhaust
Viper 500esp
Indiglo Gauges
Clear Bumper Lenses
Hiper White Bulbs
Hanabi 9000k HID Kit
Interior Blue LED/Neon Lighting w/ Music Interface
SPAL Deluxe Power Window Kit
Power Trunk Release Kit
13869, RE: GSX Caliper & AEM Brake Upgrade
Posted by fasterGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The calipers are pretty expensive from satan. If I remember correctly they were over 150 bucks each. Your best bet is to find some on the dsm trader or in your local junkyard. I got mine from checker auto parts for 60 each. They came with some cheap brake pads, the caliper and the mounting bracket. The core charge is 50 bucks each so that can get kind of pricey if you don't have a core. But yeah, you find those calipers and thats all u need with the aem upgrade.
13870, RE: GSX Caliper & AEM Brake Upgrade
cool i'll look into it... not many junkyards here in hawaii though. not a lotta space. oh an you mentioned brackets that you got with the calipers? do i need those or do they just come with the calipers or somethin? i know there's the relocation bracket thing that comes with the aem kit as well... thanks for the info! :thumbsup

*edit* oh yea an what was the 'core' charge you were talkin 'bout? sorry i'm lost

'95 RS 5spd Red
Viper 500esp
Indiglo Gauges
Clear Bumper Lenses
Hiper White Bulbs
Hanabi 9000k HID Kit
Power Trunk Release Kit
13871, RE: GSX Caliper & AEM Brake Upgrade

See the metal bracket that is on the inside of the caliper? That is the mounting bracket. I would assume you need the mounting bracket as well. The relocation bracket in the kit just moves the whole assembly out farther to accomidate(sp?) the larger rotors.
13872, RE: GSX Caliper & AEM Brake Upgrade
ohh ok, i see. so is that something i've gotta look for seperately from the caliper? oh yea and what was the 'core' charge you mentioned earlier?

thanks for all the help!

'95 RS 5spd Red
Viper 500esp
Indiglo Gauges
Clear Bumper Lenses
Hiper White Bulbs
Hanabi 9000k HID Kit
Power Trunk Release Kit
13873, RE: GSX Caliper & AEM Brake Upgrade
Most of the time if you find a used pair of these calipers they will come with the brackets. If in doubt ask, because in all my searching before my upgrade I never ran across someone selling just the brackets. But the calipers I bought from the parts store were "loaded" meaning they came with the caliper, the mounting bracket, the shims, and brake pads.

A core charge applies to most things that can be rebuilt and used again. When a parts store sells you a caliper, they want your old one in return so they can rebuild it and then turn around and sell it again. So they charge you a fee until they receive the old caliper. Chances are if you are upgrading you won't have a core to return because they want the same item in return. People will tell you that you can probably return your stock calipers and they won't notice but I guess it depends on if you wanna risk it. Hope this stuff helps man, if you have any more questions feel free to ask. jason2gnt@aol.com

13874, RE: GSX Caliper & AEM Brake Upgrade
that pretty much answered all my questions. thanks so much for all your help, man. i'd give you more points but 2's the limit :P thanks again!

'95 RS 5spd Red
Viper 500esp
Indiglo Gauges
Clear Bumper Lenses
Hiper White Bulbs
Hanabi 9000k HID Kit
Power Trunk Release Kit
I generated this page in 0.010800838470459 seconds, executing 7 queries.