Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subject3000gt rotors and calipers mod
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=13504
13504, 3000gt rotors and calipers mod
Posted by gssplaya, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Im so sorry guys..
i know this may have been discussed earlier (i did read the early posts and also the vfaq website regarding this) but since im a newbie is just want to clarify a few things..

ok, why is everyone so scared with this mod? what makes it so hard to do? i remember seeing that the 3000gt hubs need not be used since the rotors of the 3000gt can be separated from the hubs, therefore cant we just slap these rotors onto the hubs of the eclipse (of course after removing the dust shield or cutting it) since the 3000gt rotors have a pcd of 114.3 same as the eclipse hubs?

as for the calipers, its just a matter of brackets and using the 3000gt brake lines. right?

Im just wondering about all the machine shop stuff such as removing the splines, etc when we wont even be using the 3000gt hub in the first place :)

ok board veterans, masters and gurus, explain to me why this cant be done, in laymans terms. and please be forgiving :) and if you know anyone who was crazy enough to do this mod pls introduce me since i wanna learn do it too :)
13505, RE: 3000gt rotors and calipers mod
Posted by Squid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about VR-4 calipers and rotors.

The non-turbo 3000GT calipers will bolt up. They are identical to GSX calipers except they use a different brake line fitting (I’ve also heard the piston diameter is 1mm bigger), but I believe people have gotten the proper brake line from RRE. And the rotors are the same as GSX.

I have thought of the VR-4 caliper upgrade plenty of times and to the best of my knowledge you are correct that all you would need is the right brake lines and custom-mounting brackets.

The problem is the custom-mounting brackets. Machine shop time is not cheap and designing the bracket won’t be terribly easy (it shouldn’t be that hard either). You’re probably looking at a few hundred dollars for the brackets alone. Then you still have the cost of the rotors, calipers, and lines. Meanwhile the AEM big brake kit will run you under $400 for relocation brackets and bigger rotors (I don’t recall if it includes new SS brake lines). The Bear big brake kit will run you around $800.

If you have the money and time and want something truly unique then go for it (as far as I know the only Eclipse with VR-4 calipers is a guy that goes by Widebody on DSMTalk who was sponsored by Quwees).

I believe Widebody had 3000GT VR-4 steering knuckles and hubs modified to fit the Eclipse.

13506, RE: 3000gt rotors and calipers mod
hmmm.. i see :)

any other tips and feedback guys? :)
13507, RE: 3000gt rotors and calipers mod
Posted by tacoman123, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Don't you need atleast 17s to ride with those?..

And not all rims would fit on it.. so be careful..

Wouldn't a GSX 2-piston swap be good enough?..

Remember.. going faster is better than slowing down :-) ..

~Tacoman
13508, RE: 3000gt rotors and calipers mod
Posted by HadesOmega, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the 3000GT sl rotors and calipers are the same thing as the GSXs. You can get DPCs from Diamantes, Galant VR4, GSX, and 3000GT NT. I also saw a best motoring vid that had a lanEVO I and they showed a closeup of the brakes and they looks like DPCs to me.

Bottomline if you need some serious braking power you don't need these. Like if your turbocharged they'd be a good idea but if you still NT good rotors and pads will do the trick. The stock brakes on the 2GNT are already very good.

also you need 16s to use the DPCs.
13509, RE: 3000gt rotors and calipers mod
hmm ok i run on r18s no problem there :)

I used to be NT but now i have this under the hood instead of my SOHC shitty 4cyl engine :)

i did the dual piston upgrade mated to EBC greenstuffs even before the swap they used to kick ass when i was NT but now they seem wanting :P

as you may have guessed i have a lowly galant but still im learning a lot from you guys since some eclipse parts can be used on the galant just fine :)

13510, RE: 3000gt rotors and calipers mod
Posted by fasterGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>The stock brakes on the 2GNT are already very good.

Well here is my .02 ;)

The stock calipers are ok IF you change to better rotors and pads. I think that the stock brakes are too small for as heavy a car as we have, which is why the rotors warp rather easily. Ive had two 2gnts now and on both cars the rotors warped with under 30,000 miles on them. Our celica has 45k+ on it and no warping. Besides, by the time you buy new, better rotors and better brake pads you could have almost bought the DPC upgrade. Just some food for though for people.

13511, RE: 3000gt rotors and calipers mod
never warped a rotor on my eclipse :)

What kinda car is that a 3kGT VR4? I saw a Stealth R/T at the junkyard today they just put it in. I didn't know what I could get for my car, haha I could tell it was TT because it had 4 pot calipers, if you live anywhere near San Jose, Cali then you can get some parts from that stealth :)
13512, RE: 3000gt rotors and calipers mod
well the 3000gt VR4 has a 3 liter V6 Twin turbo engine and 4 pot brakes. Same engine as the stealth that you saw that had 4 pot brakes :)

btw, how big is the eclipse brake master cylinder? im looking for a 1 inch in diameter brake master coz what is got now is 15/16 and it sucks!
13513, RE: 3000gt rotors and calipers mod
>well the 3000gt VR4 has a 3 liter V6 Twin turbo engine and 4
>pot brakes. Same engine as the stealth that you saw that had
>4 pot brakes :)
>
>btw, how big is the eclipse brake master cylinder? im
>looking for a 1 inch in diameter brake master coz what is
>got now is 15/16 and it sucks!

yes I knew that
13514, RE: 3000gt rotors and calipers mod
ah ok :) hehe.

well back to the question of brake master cylinders, is it true that the eclipse has a 1 inch brake master?
13515, RE: 3000gt rotors and calipers mod
Posted by WheatKing, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>ah ok :) hehe.
>
>well back to the question of brake master cylinders, is it
>true that the eclipse has a 1 inch brake master?
found this in the DSM.org archives..

"For those of you who want a bigger brake master cylinder, the one off of the
3000GT VR4 fits with some modifications. It's 1 1/16" diameter as compared
to the stock 1". Not a big difference (13% area) but it gives you added
volume of brake fluid per unit stroke of the pedal."

Chances are knowing mitsu.. that the 3000GT vr-4 master cyl will bolt up. Just be prepared for the faceplant into the steering wheel the first time you get on the brakes hard.

-- WheatKing
13516, RE: 3000gt rotors and calipers mod
Posted by bullox, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
my sister has a 6 cylinder Avenger from either 96 or 97, I looked at the calipers recently and they look quite a bit bigger than our single cylinder calipers. Anyone know if the fronts on a 6 cylinder avenger have DPC's? The rear calipers looked smaller than the fronts.
13517, RE: 3000gt rotors and calipers mod
Posted by WheatKing, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>my sister has a 6 cylinder Avenger from either 96 or 97, I
>looked at the calipers recently and they look quite a bit
>bigger than our single cylinder calipers. Anyone know if the
>fronts on a 6 cylinder avenger have DPC's? The rear calipers
>looked smaller than the fronts.

They are the same as the RS/GS.

-- WheatKing

I generated this page in 0.014775037765503 seconds, executing 7 queries.