Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectNew to lowering, what should I know??
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=13277
13277, New to lowering, what should I know??
Posted by 98gseclipse00, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Im looking to lower my car and really dont know too much about it. Is there maybe any info I should know?
Thanks

Jeff
13278, RE: New to lowering, what should I know??
Posted by fasterGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
1. Learn to drive your car again - Your car will behave differently, and you will have to figure out what kind of bumps will cause the car to scrape.
2. Don't go cheap - if you replace springs then replace the struts at the same time.
3. Camber kits are cool - really a must have. Without them you will be looking at replacing tires every 3 months.
13279, RE: New to lowering, what should I know??
What are the chamber kits and and why would I need to replace the tires so often?
thanks

Jeff
13280, RE: New to lowering, what should I know??
Posted by Doug96GS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I wouldn't say that my car drives differently with my prokits and tokicos. It's just that you have to drive real slow on pumpy roads or your ass will bounce all over the place. Camber kits make your wheels go from / \ after you lower to | | . I don't know if camber kits are needed for all spring sets. If you're planning on racing springs (as opposed to sport springs) it might be a good idea to get the camber kits because your camber will be too far out of whack. But the best advise that I can give you, as Jason just noted, is to get springs and shocks at the same time. And get quality stuff. And Jason, by the way, what made you un-modify your car? That shit was hot!!
13281, RE: New to lowering, what should I know??
Posted by fasterGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thats what I meant, there were times after my car was first lowered that I almost bounced the car off the damn road.

And the car will be back, in some form. Looking for some prokits, I felt the springs I was on before were too low for my tastes.
13282, RE: New to lowering, what should I know??
Posted by Z87RSMan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I installed Pro-Kits and Illuminas on my car. RRE says this is probably the best spring/strut setup you can get for the 2g. But anyway:

Always slow down and angle over everything once you are dropped. You only have a little bit of clearance in the first place and now you've got less room for error. Angle and go slow over bumps and park in the street if you don't like driveways.

Definitely get camber kits. My front one came from Eibach, very nice, the back was the $15 camber mod, I have 6 washers on the back and its still a little off but thats ok. If you don't get the camber fixed, especially the rear, those tires are going to wear funky and you'll have to replace them regardless of how well they usually wear.

Install them yourself, you'll learn a lot about your suspension and it really isn't that hard. Try and get access to some air tools and set aside a good saturday for it, it only took me like 5 hours to do both the front and back but I've done it before.

Be prepared to spend $700 or more for a good setup, if you can't spare that, wait until you can and do both springs and shocks at the same time. Lowering springs tend to blow out the stock shocks and then you look ridiculous bouncing up and down.

13283, RE: New to lowering, what should I know??
Posted by Amish_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
it's a camber kit. camber is one of the angles the wheels are alligned at. if you lower the car to much your camber will be off and the insides of the tires will wear out faster. camber kits allow for more adjustability so the car can be alligned perfectly. if your not going for a big drop this isn't all that necessary.

the question is how low do you wanna go?

if your planning on running 18" wheels than you'll def need at least 2 inches of drop and a camber kit. 17's are the best bang for the buck wheel size. with 17's you can lower the car and get the performance benefits of lowering and low profile tires without having to worry about camber problems.

it isn't necessary to install springs and struts at the same time. but if you plan on doing both at some point in time than it's best to do them at the same time so you don't have to tear it all apart again.

hope i've helped. pm me if you have any other questions.
13284, RE: New to lowering, what should I know??
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If you lower your car you will need:

aftermarket shocks - Your stock ones will most likely blow out after a short period of time

an alignment - Your car was aligned at (and designed at) a certain ride height. You are forcing your car to be in permament "bump" when you lower it. Since camber, caster, and toe in change with suspension travel (bump and droop) for an indepedent suspension car, you need to have these all realigned to your new ride height.

the camber adjustment kit is an excellent idea

You should seriously consider:

stiffer sway bars - I don't remember the exact explanation, but as you lower your ride height, your sway bars become less effective, so stiffer ones are a good diea (I don't remember the exact explanation as to why this is so, but I can ask and find out why if someone is curious. For now just trust your friendly neighborhood moderator ;) )
13285, RE: New to lowering, what should I know??
Posted by madregal, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hate to say this but it is true. be prepared for rattles and clunks. your car will look and handle better though - that was my trade off.

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar
Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.Radius Rims.Pirelli P7000 Supersports.Eibach Pro kit Springs.KYB GR2.$15 camber mod.Grillcraft Center grill. TB (waiting to be bored and installed) http://www.ebalita.net
13286, RE: New to lowering, what should I know??
Posted by Weezle745, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i have had a 2"+ drop for 6 months now w/o a camber kit

My back tires do tilt but no WAY that they will wear out tires in 3 months unless you already have only 15%-30% thread left

I just got my rear camber kit this weekend.

13287, RE: New to lowering, what should I know??
Thanks for all the info im still saving up but thank you to all that helped!!

Jeff
I generated this page in 0.01181697845459 seconds, executing 7 queries.