Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectWarped powerslot slotted rotors need some help
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=12709
12709, Warped powerslot slotted rotors need some help
Posted by Kirby, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know they should not have warped but I'm going to get them replaced. Someone told me that using the EBC green stuff pads warps these rotors. Does anybody know why? Also for you guy's with the powerslot rotors wich brake pads do you use?
12710, RE: Warped powerslot slotted rotors need some help
Posted by DeanoD, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Warping can be caused by numerous things. Mainly driving habits.

EBC greenstuff pads will not cause the rotors to warp on their own. You probably did repeated brake applications without letting them cool.

Just get the rotors turned and if there is still plenty of pad left, just use what you have.

Proper torque on your lug nuts can keep from warping rotors. You may have boiled your brake fluid and have absorbed lots of water in the fluid over the years. Try flushing the system with new fluid and this will keep boil over temp much higher. This will allow you to use less pedal pressure, because the brakes will not be fading as quick.

You see, there are many factors that cause rotors to warp.

12711, RE: Warped powerslot slotted rotors need some help
Posted by The1Bill, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The rears are notorious for warping, and this happens mostly when ya throw on the e-brake to park after a fun, uh, spirited drive. So if the rotors are hot, let them cool before hittin' up the parking brake. :thumbsup
-=B-=
12712, RE: Warped powerslot slotted rotors need some help
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You have to make sure you break in the powerslots properly, otherwise they would be more prone to warp. Follow the directions closely on the instructions given with the rotors. You have to heat cycle the rotors before beating on them.

As for pads, I use porterfield R4S pads, probably one of the best (if not the best) street pads you can get, all the major DSM autocrossers use them :)
12713, RE: Warped powerslot slotted rotors need some help
Posted by John99RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I use EBC Green Stuff on my Powerslots...no problems here.
12714, RE: Warped powerslot slotted rotors need some help
so can powerslot rotors be turned? And if so will I have to follow a heat cycle after the turning as well? Also I looked at my paperwork and my powerslut's didn't come with any info about heat cycling at all. I was under the impression that you couldn't turn these things.
Also does anyone know what size thread pitch bolt do I need to push the rotors off of the car?

12715, RE: Warped powerslot slotted rotors need some help
bump
12716, RE: Warped powerslot slotted rotors need some help
Posted by CluckeRMC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
From what I've heard, as long as they arent to bad, you can actually have the powerslots turned. You just cant take to much off (or the slots do no good)
12717, RE: Warped powerslot slotted rotors need some help
Posted by HadesOmega, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
your wrong about the rear rotors warping, I believe the reason why we have a drum parking brake system and not a caliper parking brake system is for that reason, after racing your rotors and pads get really hot and if you yank the ebrake after you park the hot pads will grab the rotors and warp em. Well the drum pads are not super hot because your not using them so you can't warp the rotor, you'd warp the drums b4 you warp the rotors.

You can machine slotted rotors also, or was it drilled?...

Always torque your lugs too, invest in a good torque wrench you can get a fat torque wrench from pepboys for about 20 bux, easy to use set the ft/lbs to 80 and tighten that sucka till it snaps.
I generated this page in 0.0086238384246826 seconds, executing 7 queries.