Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectpower steering hard as hell
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=12396
12396, power steering hard as hell
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
dunno why, but my power steering is getting to be hard to turn, and you can hear the pump making its eehhhhh sound, loud!!! I'm not low on fluid, I do have 17x7's w/ 225/45's on them but this just started recently, and I have had that wheel/tire combo for a few months now... I wonder what's up?
12397, RE: power steering hard as hell
Posted by Stickman, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Make sure the belt is tight.
12398, RE: power steering hard as hell
it is
12399, RE: power steering hard as hell
Posted by MetalJim, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sounds like you need a new power steering pump. They go bad sometimes.

ride__________95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
power________Gude cams : AFX UDP : ram air : test pipe : Thrush glasspack
suspention___BOMZ F/R upper strut bars : ES inserts
sound________Kenwood KDC 5000 : Audiovox 8" sub toob - no sub amp(damnit!)
shizzle_______AutoCommand remote start : dual air horns
incomming___GreenSlime F/R lower strut ties : Jeep TB
12400, RE: power steering hard as hell
Posted by Creamo3, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If I cut my wheel either all the right/left the pump just whines. Don't know what to do, i usually spray the belt and it goes away for alittle bit.
12401, RE: power steering hard as hell
Posted by MotoFool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
on all power steering if u turn it all the way either way on 99% of vehicles it will whine squeal chirp howl etc dont turn it all the way...
12402, RE: power steering hard as hell
Posted by Amish_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
check your fluid. may be time for a new pump. belt whine isn't supposed to happen.
12403, RE: power steering hard as hell
I think i will wait for it to go out, (need to be sure before i spend money that i don't have much of) p/s fluid is full, my friend and I fired it up tonight, and i turned the wheel, he said it was coming from the pump and it was loud as hell compared to most other ones, kinda mettallic sounding. probably the pump.. is it ok to just "let it go"? Don't say I'm cheap, I don't have a job, and going to school full time won't let me get one.
12404, RE: power steering hard as hell
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
it's up to you. you should take care of your car, hey, money is money and school (is suppose to, heh...) come first. if you really can't get a new pump, i'd take off the power steering belt so you don't have to live with the awful noise until you can get it repaired. the only time that having no power steering is a pain is on exit/on-ramps, and in parking lots. otherwise, hell, i think it feels cool! especially on the highway. anyways, belt is wicked easy to take off, loosen 3 bolts and the power steering pump will tilt back to the cabin and you're all set.
12405, RE: power steering hard as hell
but it still works, just very noisely (mind the not knowing how to spell it). I know I should take care of my car, I love it, but aren't pumps expensive, and if I do get one, would I be able to put it on myself?
I generated this page in 0.0088269710540771 seconds, executing 7 queries.