Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjecthow do i stop wheel hop
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=11613
11613, how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by trdberd, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
every time i launch my car where the tires would spin i just hops up and down. what can i do to make the tires stick better
11614, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by BoostedGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
better suspension and motor mount inserts help prevent/lessen wheel hop.
11615, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You are launching too hard. Take it easier on the launch. If you are wheel hopping you are spinning the tires too much anyway. suspension will help, such as adjustable shocks and motor mount inserts will help even more, but don't try to cover up the real problem of launching incorrectly with modifications.
11616, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by tacoman123, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If you make your rear suspension harder, won't it help a little bit more?

Also, you can use those ___________ bars... (I forgot the name), but you can't use those on the street, track only..

~Tacoman
11617, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by BuckNutty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
rear and upper strut bars, anti sway bars, LSD :D...As far as i know all "bars" that you can get for your car are street legal, if you can have a roll cage then i don't see why you can't have an anti sway bar.
11618, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by Logic3, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I think Todd hit the nail on the head. Bring those RPM's down a little bit when you launch.

Best bang for the buck "wheel hop eliminator" would be motor mount inserts and struts. I really felt an improvement in my launches after the MM's were installed. At $20 for the Energy Suspension inserts you can't go wrong.
11619, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by trdberd, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
are the mm hard to install
11620, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by tacoman123, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I meant wheelie bars, I forgot the name, it was on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't think of it earlier..

~Tacoman
11621, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
>are the mm hard to install

Yes and no. The front mm is any easy 30 mins or so... The rear, well thats a different story. Check HadesOmegas link out for mm install write up with pics... http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292192363
11622, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by 1TuffRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well I dont know about you guys but I still get wheel hop when its wet outside, even with the motor mounts and it kinda pisses me off.
11623, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by whodatt1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
no wheel hop here after inserting both front and rear motor mounts.
11624, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by Jarrad_GST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have heard bad side effect from getting the poly urethane motor mounts. I would get them b/c they are so cheap and everything but, I have heard bad things about them. Can you give me a little bit more detail on them.

Does it allow you to have better launches, so I can rev at higher rpms and not get wheep hop.

somebody told me they mess up your car.

11625, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by vegasdsmr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
http://seangordon1.tripod.com

i have a writeup for the front mount...and a cuple ideas/links to help out in the area...

basically since our cars are fwd, the engine rocks back and forth when revvd... on a manual 2gnt, it is easy to break em loose in first, and the tires will hop up and down....

sumthin about inertia, and our suspension...

do a lil search on motor mounts, and u will learn more...

i never heard anything bad about em, actually, the worst bein the increased vibration at idle, w/the a/c on, and in the upper rpm range...

good luck either way.. definately a good mod imo...werth 20 bux
11626, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by EclipzeGamer, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Is it worth putting in the rear mounts too? Or are just the front mounts good enough?

Jaeson
'96 Eclipse RS

Looks:
APC Euro clear bumper lens
front grill
chrome front emblem
Razo carbon fiber pedals
carbon fiber gauge bezel

Performance:
Perma-Cool oil cooler
custom airbox
GS-T muffler

On The Way:
Kaminari GTR wing off Shauns NER Eclipse
Hurricane_GS front & rear lower tie bars
95-96 side skirts
11627, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
We seem to be talking about 2 different things here. Jarrad_GST is talking about the polyurethane motor mounts, which do cause a lot more vibration. You have to press out your stock motor mounts and press in the polyurethane ones, which are MUCH stiffer.

But most people on this board get the motor mount INSERTS from Energy Suspension. Inserts are pieces that sit on the sides of the stock motor mount to stiffen it up a little without causing a lot more vibration.
11628, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by Jarrad_GST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
IC, so the energy suspension motor mounts is what you have. I will have to get those and try them out. And now I do remeber idle gets worse with the motor mounts, but you say it isnt too bad. Thxs for the feedback.
11629, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by 1TuffRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
at idle with the ac off it isnt too bad, but once you turn it on I get a hell of a lot of vibration. I can actually hear and see my dash vibrating with the ac on high
11630, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Yeah, just make sure you get the INSERTS, not the actual motor mounts. The inserts are fairly easy to install, no need to have them pressed in or anything. I think RRE sells them for like $29 or something like that.
11631, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Yup, the inserts are what I was referring to as well. www.summitracing.com $20
11632, RE: how do i stop wheel hop
Posted by Jasvb TS2K2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What size wheels do you have? I have 18's and have tried several times to drop it at 2k-3k RPM's and no way will it grip. I think this was the reason for broken stabalizer links and tranny seals.:( Maybe I should put my stock 16's back on, we'll see...

I generated this page in 0.012166023254395 seconds, executing 7 queries.