Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectWhats the difference between shocks and struts?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=10591
10591, Whats the difference between shocks and struts?
Posted by iron Mike, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm looking at the kyb gas shocks.
In Sport Compact Car the struts start at $60 and the shocks start at $50
whats the difference and what do i need for my car?
also the fronts are different from the rears right?
Thanks for the help

.Mike-1995 Eclipse GS.

i need to be dropped..
10592, RE: Whats the difference between shocks and struts?
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
A shock is just there to dampen the suspension, a strut not only dampens the suspension, but also acts as a suspension member (as in MacPherson STRUT suspension setups, where the strut is the upper link in the suspension). We have shocks, because our mult-ilink suspension setups don't use the shocks as suspension members.

Actually, shocks and struts should just be called "dampners" like the british call them :)
10593, RE: Whats the difference between shocks and struts?
Posted by EvuLFleA, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ehhh...we have struts.

Struts are used in cars that dont have much space underneath and so they put the spring around the shock, making it a strut. Shocks usually have springs seperated from the shocks because there is enough room to put the shock elsewhere where it is more efficient.

Shocks cost less because you don't have to remove the spring to get there and also there are no spring perches on shocks etc...

10594, RE: Whats the difference between shocks and struts?
Posted by iron Mike, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
so its struts then....hopefully

.Mike-1995 Eclipse GS.

i need to be dropped..
10595, RE: Whats the difference between shocks and struts?
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yes its struts, well basically its a shock with a perch which kind of makes it a strut after the spring is put on.

Its kind of stupid, Koni calls it a shock, others call it a strut, but if the spring slides over the shock its considered a strut system

its goofy

I generated this page in 0.0076839923858643 seconds, executing 7 queries.