Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectQuestion with new rims
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=10415
10415, Question with new rims
Posted by HeDog, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just got my new Motegi rims & I noticed that there is a package with 4 plastic rings in it (assume 1 for each wheel). I looked through the info for putting the rims on & such & I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know what they're for? I initially thought that they'd go on before the wheel, but I really don't know. Any info would be great, I'm getting them mounted & put on tomorrow.Thanks.
10416, RE: Question with new rims
Posted by icjeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
they may go on the back of your center caps, on the inner side of the wheel.
10417, RE: Question with new rims
Posted by Doug96GS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yea, probably pieces to the centercaps.
10418, RE: Question with new rims
Posted by espilcEGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I was going to explain it but found this:

Hub centric rings are manufactured so that when they are installed on a vehicle, the wheels are located directly off of the centre flange of the brake drum or rotor. This is done to insure that the outer beads of the wheel are concentric with the wheel bearings. The result is a much truer, better balanced tire/wheel assembly. This is very important with modern high tech suspension systems.

There you go! Throw them on and then the wheels.....
10419, RE: Question with new rims
Posted by NX112, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
how much do the stock rims weigh for the 95 gs? I just got the motegi mr7's too. i was wondering about how much weight i dropped......
10420, RE: Question with new rims
Posted by Amish_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yeah those are called hub centric rings. basically they help the wheel mount flush onto the wheel hub so you don't get any wild vibration and break your studs off and lose a wheel driving down the road ;)

hub centrics don't do anything with balancing. right now the industry standard in wheel balancing is called a spin balancer. it mounts the wheel on a post on the side of the machine and you slide a cone down the post to fit flush into the hub flange of the wheel. than you take this giant wing nut lookin thing and spin it onto the post so that the back of the wheel seats on the balancer flush simulating a mounted wheel. hub centrics are to help with clearance around the hub so the wheel fits on nice and tight.
I generated this page in 0.0073518753051758 seconds, executing 7 queries.