Go back to previous topic
Forum nameEngine Management Systems & Controllers
Topic subjectMegasquirt with 390cc DSM injectors
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=974
974, Megasquirt with 390cc DSM injectors
Posted by BRU_ce, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
OK, so I have been reading so much about turbo kits the past few weeks that I think my head is going to explode with information overload.

Just reading about MegaSquirt itself requires the better part of a week! Anyway, I think I finally have an idea of what fuel setup I will be going with. Tell me if there are any problems or if I am crazy for some reason.

*390cc DSM injectors from 1G AT Turbo AWD
*MSnS
*255LPH HP Walbro pump

This will be on a custom 14B setup running about 8-10 PSI on stock everything else.

1.) Do I need a new FPR? If so, where can I get one?

2.) Will the 390s with the 1G resistor pack work using the MSnS?

3.) Do I need the wiring harness for them or will they plug in with my stock one?

4.) I plan on using an in-cabin boost controller to run 4 psi cruising, and turn it up to 8 psi (while the car is running, on-the-fly) for racing/spirited driving. Is this possible with the MS?

5.) Do I have to tune the fuel curves every time I change the amount of boost? (would be rather impractical in my view)

Also, how much should I be paying for the 390s? I have no idea how much to offer on them.

I was originally going with just the stock injectors and an FMU/Missing Link but the MegaSquirt looks MUCH better, I just don't understand it yet. I'd like to get some hands-on experience tuning it but unfortunately at the moment I can only picture how it will work in my head, and that makes things a LOT more difficult for me to understand -- I'm a hands-on learner.
975, RE: Megasquirt with 390cc DSM injectors
Posted by RxR_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Read the MS manual, it has all the answers for you.
976, RE: Megasquirt with 390cc DSM injectors
I have been reading the MegaSquirt site for HOURS on end, believe me! It is so much knowledge to absorb. My main problem with the MS site is that the information is all so non-specific! It generalizes on many things because it's intended to cover EVERY car. I would like the 2GNTers who have experience dealing with our particular setups to offer some insight.

The guy I want to buy the 390s from needs an answer ASAP and I don't want to buy them and find out later they will not work.

Also, the MS site will not answer my other questions pertaining the injectors.

edit: Oh, and is it beneficial to use the spark control, or is it better to just turn that off and use only the fuel control at the boost levels I will be running?
977, RE: Megasquirt with 390cc DSM injectors
Posted by dougie2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

1.) Do I need a new FPR? If so, where can I get one?

Ideally, you'll want to use a 1:1 regulator. Most everyone that I know of is using the Aeromotive.

2.) Will the 390s with the 1G resistor pack work using the MSnS?

The MegaSquirt can control those without the resistor pack.

3.) Do I need the wiring harness for them or will they plug in with my stock one?

DSM injectors use a standard Bosch connector, just like our stock injectors. You will need to use the 420a o-rings on the DSM injectors... and they may be tough going it.

4.) I plan on using an in-cabin boost controller to run 4 psi cruising, and turn it up to 8 psi (while the car is running, on-the-fly) for racing/spirited driving. Is this possible with the MS?

That's no problem. You can use an aftermarket manual or electronic boost controller, or you can use the MegaSquirt 'n Spark "extra" code and an additional circuit so the MegaSquirt controls an electronic boost valve.

5.) Do I have to tune the fuel curves every time I change the amount of boost? (would be rather impractical in my view)

No. You tune one VE table. When you're only boosting 4 PSI, it simply never reads the 8 PSI values of the table.

Also, how much should I be paying for the 390s? I have no idea how much to offer on them.

I don't know... but I highly recommend that you use stock DSM blue top injectors that are 450cc. You can get them very cheap and when you up the boost to 15 PSI, you won't need bigger injectors.

I was originally going with just the stock injectors and an FMU/Missing Link but the MegaSquirt looks MUCH better, I just don't understand it yet. I'd like to get some hands-on experience tuning it but unfortunately at the moment I can only picture how it will work in my head, and that makes things a LOT more difficult for me to understand -- I'm a hands-on learner.

Keep reading and don't rush into it. Take your time and learn everything you can from www.megasquirt.info and www.msefi.com

You can also download the MegaTune Software to familiarize yourself with the tuning interface.

Good luck! If you have any more questions, ask away.
978, RE: Megasquirt with 390cc DSM injectors
OK, idea: Can I just use a stock turbo DSM FPR with stock 440cc DSM injectors? (I don't remember if it was modular...)

Hell, I'm even considering going with a stock turbo DSM fuel pump with rewire to save money. Is this good enough for up to 15 PSI? I really doubt I will ever see boost over 15 PSI anyway due to my small turbo, and even if I do it is easy to upgrade later down the road.

If not, will this cheap-o eBay FPR suffice?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7981453651&category=33553#ebayphotohosting
981, RE: Megasquirt with 390cc DSM injectors
I looked at my friend's stock 1G FPR today and it is indeed attached to the fuel rail. However, I still think I can get it to work.

I can fabricate a small flange to go over the end of the FPR where it normally bolts to the end of the fuel rail. Then, simply have a nipple protrude from my custom flange where I can hook up a fuel line.

I was thinking something like this:

And furthermore, would LeBaron Turbo injectors be big enough? I can get almost ANYTHING from LeBaron turbos (local junkyard has about 20 of them all in a row) and I could get the injectors and FPR from that car for almost free.
982, RE: Megasquirt with 390cc DSM injectors
Well, that won't work either. I took it off the fuel rail to get a better idea of how it would work, and there is a big machined brass plug on the end that would be extremely difficult to modify to fit a smaller hose on. I'm thinking maybe just going with an MR2 Turbo FPR since it also has 440cc injectors.
983, RE: Megasquirt with 390cc DSM injectors
Posted by dougie2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Honestly, you should just spend the $130 for an Aeromotive or something similar. Also, you should be able to find a set of 450cc DSM injectors for less than $75.00
985, RE: Megasquirt with 390cc DSM injectors
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Bru ce, I have a cheap 1:1 reg that is anodized purple, made by weapon-R. The only reason i didnt use it was because it has 1/8 npt fittings. Kinda small but it will work. send me a PM if you want to work out a deal. The Aeromotive Regs are preferred. There are 2 different ones you can use. the cheapest is 115.00 and either one you will need to buy the fittings separate

As for the injectors your best bet is to get a set of 450cc injectors off a stock Turbo DSM which should cost you no more than 80.00 if low mileage.

As for tuning the MS, dont spend too much time beating your head up over the manual. When you get it in front of you on your PC it will all come together. Besides pretty much all of us can help you through the minor details.
989, RE: Megasquirt with 390cc DSM injectors
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Besides pretty much all of us can help you through the minor details.

Hey, I really I appreciate that, guys.

Well, I won't be able to get my damn FPR for a while... I got ripped off by CarSponsorships.com for $90 and they won't give it back.

Don't EVER, EVER, EVER sign up with those people. It's a big scam, and I should have realized that as soon as they asked for my credit card.

After about 10 minutes after clicking "accept" I was beating myself up. They sent me "sponsorship contracts" that I REFUSED to sign, and now they charged me their $90 "agency fee" anyway. Bullshit.

Anyhow, live and learn, eh? A fool and his money are soon parted!

993, RE: Megasquirt with 390cc DSM injectors
Bruce I'm going to be installing a set of 450CC dsm injectors for my first run on the MS. I'll use them till 15 psi and then up to the set of 803's that I have lying here. I think I'm going to go to Napa and see if htey have an o-ring that is a bit smaller. The intake side of the injectors fits ok, but the fuel rail side is a total bitch! They don't want to go in easy at all and I would worry that they will leak. Anyway when I get done I'll post some pic's of the install.
1000, RE: Megasquirt with 390cc DSM injectors
Hmm, interesting. I've been searching this board and found that for some people, the fuel rail side was a breeze and intake was difficult, and others who said the intake side was easy, but the fuel rail was a pain.

What is the variable here? Maybe O-rings that have expanded beyond their normal size?

If you get them to work, post your MS settings as well so we can get a general idea of what to tune from.

Good luck!
1058, RE: Megasquirt with 390cc DSM injectors
Bruce I just got the 0 rings to fit in the rail. What I did was use my dremel and a sanding wheel and sand just a bit off the outside edge of the o ring. Fits with no leaks just fine. (I pressure tested to 90 psi with my air compressor). The manifold side of them fit just fine.
I generated this page in 0.012402057647705 seconds, executing 7 queries.