Go back to previous topic
Forum nameEngine Management Systems & Controllers
Topic subjectI went a little crazy at Waytek Wire
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=4972
4972, I went a little crazy at Waytek Wire
Posted by Corbin, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
With all rewiring I've done related to Megasquirt and other projects, I am always struggling to find the right size and type of wire. The stuff you buy at the auto parts store or Radio Shack has crappy PVC insulation that melts in the engine bay, isn't gas resitant, or is too thick to allow a lot of wires in a small place. The stuff you buy from home improvement stores is often too large and inflexible. I keep a box of wire scraps left over from the Megasquirt harness, college lab, etc. I got sick of always scrounging for the right wires and running out to the store in the middle of a project. Sometimes I didn't have wires long enough and had to splice different colors together. I finally decided to suck it up and order proper automotive wire in a variety of colors:

It is TXL wire with a cross-linked PE jacket, which is resistant to high temperatures, gas/oil, and has the right jacket thickness like stock wires. Unfortunately, to get this kind of wire at a good price, you have to order in bulk from a company like Waytek Wire. I bought seven colors of 18 gage wire and three colors of 14 gage wire. Each spool is 250 feet. I now have 2,500 feet of wire! That is more than a lifetime supply. This is enough to pass down to my kid's kids. If anyone is interested, I'll probably cut a few lengths and post them in the sale section.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki
4973, RE: I went a little crazy at Waytek Wire
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thats awesome!

I will PM you in a bit. Im about to wire MS and gauges in a month or two :)
4974, RE: I went a little crazy at Waytek Wire
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've always wanted to do something like that.

With all that wire, Corbin, you ought to Google 'Honda MIL-spec harness' and see if you aren't inspired to go all out. Some neat ideas like quick connect barrel bulkhead connections and whatnot.
4976, RE: I went a little crazy at Waytek Wire
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I did that a while back, but I went with 100' rolls. I think I paid $8/spool.
4981, RE: I went a little crazy at Waytek Wire
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That's a helluva lot of wire! I may do something similar in the near future, I'm tired of doing the same wire-scrounging you're complaining about.
I generated this page in 0.0079889297485352 seconds, executing 7 queries.