Go back to previous topic
Forum nameEngine Management Systems & Controllers
Topic subjectWhat tuning program for MS?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=4774
4774, What tuning program for MS?
Posted by 740 turbo brick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have my MS kit on the way, what tuning program do you guys recommend? I already have Megatune on my laptop, but Ive also heard of tunerstudios and a few others. Whats the most user friendly?
4775, RE: What tuning program for MS?
Posted by VelocitaPaola, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
TunerStudioMS is the new de facto standard for tuning Megasquirt ECU's. MegaTune is great for MS-I, but TunerStudio also supports MS-I and has a more features. MegaTune is not capable of handling some of the features in the latest MS-II firmware versions (mainly the 3.x alpha code).

Most other tuning suites for Megasquirt are deprecated; such as MegaTunix, which was originally MegaTune's counterpart for Linux. TunerStudio uses the Java virtual machine, so it's cross-platform.
4776, RE: What tuning program for MS?
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
TunerStudioMS is the new de facto standard for tuning Megasquirt ECU's.

Really? Wow, shows what happens when I do not stay current on the MS forums. I will have to check it out.
4777, RE: What tuning program for MS?
Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by VelocitaPaola TunerStudioMS is the new de facto standard for tuning Megasquirt ECU's.
Really? Wow, shows what happens when I do not stay current on the MS forums. I will have to check it out.

You're fine if you're using MS-I or MS-II with MS2/Extra 2.1.0 or older. You shouldn't encounter any problems using MegaTune in those cases, but TunerStudioMS does offer a lot more features.
4778, RE: What tuning program for MS?
Do you know what version will come with my ECU? I assume the most recent? I have both tuner studios and megatune on my laptop now. I must admit I like the gauge layout of megatune more, but I guess Ill see when I get the ECU wired in.

Also, will I have to install new intake and coolant temp sensors or can I just use the stock ones since I will be removing the stock ECU completely?
4779, RE: What tuning program for MS?
Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
Do you know what version will come with my ECU? I assume the most recent? I have both tuner studios and megatune on my laptop now. I must admit I like the gauge layout of megatune more, but I guess Ill see when I get the ECU wired in. Also, will I have to install new intake and coolant temp sensors or can I just use the stock ones since I will be removing the stock ECU completely?

I'm not sure where you got your ECU from, but MS2/Extra 2.1.0d is the latest stable release of the MS2/Extra firmware.

The gauge layout in TunerStudioMS is completely customizable. Take some time to experiment with it; you can make it look just like MegaTune.

You won't have to install new sensors if you're removing the stock PCM. MS-II ECU's can read the stock sensor directly, without modification.
4780, RE: What tuning program for MS?
Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
Originally posted by 740 turbo brick Do you know what version will come with my ECU? I assume the most recent? I have both tuner studios and megatune on my laptop now. I must admit I like the gauge layout of megatune more, but I guess Ill see when I get the ECU wired in. Also, will I have to install new intake and coolant temp sensors or can I just use the stock ones since I will be removing the stock ECU completely?
I'm not sure where you got your ECU from, but MS2/Extra 2.1.0d is the latest stable release of the MS2/Extra firmware. The gauge layout in TunerStudioMS is completely customizable. Take some time to experiment with it; you can make it look just like MegaTune. You won't have to install new sensors if you're removing the stock PCM. MS-II ECU's can read the stock sensor directly, without modification.

I ordered it from Symtech labs, of course!;-) I ordered it on the 14th with the stepper motor control option.
4782, RE: What tuning program for MS?
Posted by justins71, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know I'm a bit late, but you should've held off a couple months for MS3... gonna be the shit! As far as tuning programs, MT will not work with MS3 (for future reference), and the new TS is awesome with the VE Live with Lambda delay. Also has a 'Lite' mode that uses less resources, as TS did seem to drag my laptop battery down 400,000,000 times faster than MT. It's Java based, nice to use, it's my new go-to.
4787, RE: What tuning program for MS?
Posted by Full_Race, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by justins71
I know I'm a bit late, but you should've held off a couple months for MS3... gonna be the shit! As far as tuning programs, MT will not work with MS3 (for future reference), and the new TS is awesome with the VE Live with Lambda delay. Also has a 'Lite' mode that uses less resources, as TS did seem to drag my laptop battery down 400,000,000 times faster than MT. It's Java based, nice to use, it's my new go-to.

Is symtech labs gonna be selling MS3
4788, RE: What tuning program for MS?
Posted by SymTech Labs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Full_RaceIs symtech labs gonna be selling MS3

Yes, we carry the full line of B&G hardware.
4789, RE: What tuning program for MS?
Posted by Full_Race, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by SymTech Labs
Originally posted by Full_RaceIs symtech labs gonna be selling MS3
Yes, we carry the full line of B&G hardware.

Oh wow lol. So is ms3 what comes with your 420a ems kit sir?
4792, RE: What tuning program for MS?
Originally posted by Full_Race
Oh wow lol. So is ms3 what comes with your 420a ems kit sir?

No, MS-III is not available yet. The ECU's in our kits use MS-II processors on v3.0 boards. The MS2/Extra firmware actually supports many MS-III features using MS-II. The primary difference between the two systems is that MS-III will have most features built in, thus it will cost significantly more. You can pick and choose which features you want installed in an MS-II ECU.

4878, RE: What tuning program for MS?
Posted by zrb16, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by SymTech Labs
Originally posted by Full_Race Oh wow lol. So is ms3 what comes with your 420a ems kit sir?
No, MS-III is not available yet. The ECU's in our kits use MS-II processors on v3.0 boards. The MS2/Extra firmware actually supports many MS-III features using MS-II. The primary difference between the two systems is that MS-III will have most features built in, thus it will cost significantly more. You can pick and choose which features you want installed in an MS-II ECU.

Sorry to bump, but is there any idea when the MS-III will be available, or how much it would be?
4879, RE: What tuning program for MS?
Originally posted by zrb16
Originally posted by SymTech LabsNo, MS-III is not available yet. The ECU's in our kits use MS-II processors on v3.0 boards. The MS2/Extra firmware actually supports many MS-III features using MS-II. The primary difference between the two systems is that MS-III will have most features built in, thus it will cost significantly more. You can pick and choose which features you want installed in an MS-II ECU.
Sorry to bump, but is there any idea when the MS-III will be available, or how much it would be?

They were briefly available to early adopters last month, but more units will not be available for another few weeks or months. Without the MS3X expansion board, MS-III ECU's will cost roughly $150 more than our standard MS-II ECU's. The MS3X expansion board, the board that will really allow you to take advantage of the MS-III daughterboard's features, has yet to be released. Additionally, the MS3 code is not suitably stable for a general release.
I generated this page in 0.012486934661865 seconds, executing 7 queries.