Go back to previous topic
Forum nameEngine Management Systems & Controllers
Topic subjectThose that have experienced a failed LC-1 WBO2 sensor...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=4759
4759, Those that have experienced a failed LC-1 WBO2 sensor...
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
After installing my LC-1 back in mid-2006 the sensor has been throwing the Error 8 more and more frequently in the past month. The E8 is a heater circuit malfunction and has reared its face since going turbo. Unrelated to a cold start or not, during sensor warm up it comes up, sometimes it does not.

The E8 code for those w/o the XD-16 code shows up as the red LED flashing 8 times in cycles. Or for those with the XD-16 the display reads E8.

I have a spare Bosch sensor in the box waiting to go in, but I was just curious how those with the LC-1 knew their sensor failed.
4760, RE: Those that have experienced a failed LC-1 WBO2 sensor...
Posted by mreigle, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

I had a couple issues with mine. Low voltage (anything below 12v) made the led blink all the time. If I remember right a bad sensor made it read all the way lean.
4761, RE: Those that have experienced a failed LC-1 WBO2 sensor...
Posted by 1slw97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If you had your battery unhooked and never re calibrated your sensor it will also do funky stuff.
4763, RE: Those that have experienced a failed LC-1 WBO2 sensor...
To update this:

This weekend I took my DP off and wrapped it with some DEI Titanium wrap.

I replaced the 3+ year old Bosch sensor with a new one. I also had an HBX-1 heat sink from innovate that I wanted to use to see if it would prolong the life of my new sensor.

As you can see it matters how the heat sink extender is clocked so that exhaust gases are routed through the extender properly. Both my upper and lower bungs were not correct - it seems that you need to thread a bung onto the extender to find out where to install it, and have it welded.

Since the heat sink would not work without having a new bung welded, I installed the new sensor on my lower bung near the oil pan.

Performed the heater circuit calibration and free air calibration and have not had any Error codes thrown since.
4794, RE: Those that have experienced a failed LC-1 WBO2 sensor...
Posted by justins71, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Where was it mounted before - like downstream distance-wise?
4795, RE: Those that have experienced a failed LC-1 WBO2 sensor...
First 2.5 years of its life it was mounted around the OEM location, further down by the oil pan.

I have a feeling what caused its rapid demise was that on my DP for the GT3076R the O2 bung was about 4-5" from the turbine exit. It is advisable to prevent excess heat to the sensor, consider the stock O2 housing location on 4g63 models, as well as other OEM turbo'ed vehicles.
4798, RE: Those that have experienced a failed LC-1 WBO2 sensor... ERROR 2 CODE
The other day my XD-16 gauge is displaying the E2 code, and my LED confirms it by blinking twice.

Manual states: Error 2 - Heater circuit open
Cause: Damaged sensor cable or Cable connector not fully seated
Fix: Verify Sensor connector is fully seated into unit. Repair/replace Sensor or cable.

I reseated the connector and checked over all my connections and nothing reared its ugly head. This controller has been installed since 2006 so I cannot really complain; I realize performance parts have a shelf life.

Anyone have experience with E2 codes and other culprits besides a faulty controller?
4799, RE: Those that have experienced a failed LC-1 WBO2 sensor... ERROR 2 CODE
Posted by VelocitaPaola, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by CODE4
Anyone have experience with E2 codes and other culprits besides a faulty controller?

If anything's faulty, it doesn't necessarily have to be the controller. The heater circuit goes through a lot of stress with each successive heating and cooling cycle. It's probably the most likely component in an oxygen sensor to fail. I would try replacing the sensor before anything else...
I generated this page in 0.0082709789276123 seconds, executing 7 queries.