Go back to previous topic
Forum nameEngine Management Systems & Controllers
Topic subjectClose but still no cigar
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=4611
4611, Close but still no cigar
Posted by Warmage12, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sorry for the length but I'm really trying to get some help so i thought i would be as thorough as possible.

I've finally had time to play with my MSNS setup over the last 2 days. Yesterday i finally confirmed my MAP wasn't registering in right and needed a re soldering. Now its working fine. I've read up what i can in the megamanual and tried to enter in the values on the things i under stand. I don't know how to freeze frame the windows and post them here as images so I'll start with the basics. I'm trying to get fuel running only right now.

Its a version 3.0 board with a DIYAUTOtune harness running CLT, MAT, MAP, TPS, and CAS. All of them are registering correctly. I have a stock engine with bolt-ons, intake header, exhaust, test pipe, crane 12's stock everything else pretty much. Motor runs wonderful on stock ecu.

I've tried my best to go through the constants page and enter in the values. I have the base map from Symtechs page and I've tried to get the warm up settings; unfortunately i don't know jack shit about pulse width and such on our cars. I understand what it is just not exactly how to apply.

So i went into the required fuel page and entered the displacement Displacement(121.8) CID
injectors (235)cc min
AFR (14.7) <-- that's something i don't understand. Will the MSNS not work right if i don't have a o2? I figure it will just revert to the map, right?

Going on down Injector opening time (1.2)
Battery voltage connections (0.10)
PWM current limit (75)
PWM threshold (1.2)
Fast idle -40 (default)
Barometric correction (on)
(speed density)
injections per engine cycle (2)
injector staging (alternate)
Engine stroke (4 stroke)
# of cylinders (4)
Injectors (4)
Map type (250)kpa
Engine type (even fire)

That's the constants page

I guess I'll stop there. If more info is needed please ask. I've got the time right now to get this running. SO please help me.
4612, RE: Close but still no cigar
Posted by adamzty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Injector opening time (1.0)
Battery voltage connections (0.10)
PWM current limit (100)
PWM threshold (25.4)
Fast idle -40 (default)
Barometric correction (off)
injections per engine cycle (2)
injector staging (alternate)
Engine stroke (4 stroke)
# of cylinders (4)
Injectors (4)
Map type (250)kpa
Engine type (even fire)

Those are the correct settings for stock injectors, which I think you are using, correct?

Does MegaTune show RPMs when you are cranking?

You need to RTFM. http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra_Basic_Configuration_Manual.htm
4613, RE: Close but still no cigar
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

x2 lol
4614, RE: Close but still no cigar
I've been reading the megamanual and yes, i'm using stock injectors. I kinda said that.

Anywho. That section helps a bit.
4615, RE: Close but still no cigar
Posted by 96TurboGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You don’t know what 14.7:1 is???

You might want to read the manual 10 times and every thread you can find before attempting to start the engine. I couldn’t fathom how hard it would be trying to tune an engine without a Wideband sensor!! Is your ecu even configured for a 420a?? If you got it from Diyautotune, chances are it’s not configured for a 420a unless you asked matt or someone for that option witch adds extra bones. To help everyone out including your self you need Megalogviewer to view what ms is doing. While your there check out Tunerstudio.

http://www.ideasandsolutions.biz/MegaLogViewer/

As adamzty said, if you cant even see a rpm while cranking (around 250) then stop trying and go back to the manual and your wiring problems.
4618, RE: Close but still no cigar
Originally posted by adamzty
Injector opening time (1.0) Battery voltage connections (0.10) PWM current limit (100) PWM threshold (25.4) Fast idle -40 (default) Barometric correction (off) injections per engine cycle (2) injector staging (alternate) Engine stroke (4 stroke) # of cylinders (4) Injectors (4) Map type (250)kpa Engine type (even fire)
Those are the correct settings for stock injectors, which I think you are using, correct? Does MegaTune show RPMs when you are cranking? You need to RTFM. http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra_Basic_Configuration_Manual.htm

Thanks. I didn't notice at first that you had changed some things. I'll try those out immediately. Need some help with the cranking settings too.
4616, RE: Close but still no cigar
Posted by eclipse982nrRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
C'mon dude, seriously...you dont know what 14.7:1 is?

You dont have a wideband..you have no idea what injector pulse width is, and basically in a nut shell, you are asking us to get your engine running because you have absolutely no fucking clue what the hell you are doing.

My suggestion is to take out everything you wired up and bring it to a professional and let them do everything.

If you do not even have a cranking RPM, that is your problem there. No cranking RPM = NO START.

Another suggestion would be to unwire everything for spark, and run fuel only. If you cannot get that, I dont know what to heck to tell you senor.
4617, RE: Close but still no cigar
14.7 is the optimal air fuel mass ratio for the best and most complete burn of a fuel oxygen mixture in an internal combustion engine. Might not be a perfect definition but i know what it is...

WHAT I MEANT was, I don't see why this would be needed at all. Its not running an o2 sensor, so it can't possibly know what the AFR is in the first place. My guess is that i can't run the required fuel calculator, which is ok with me and last i checked it didn't need the required fuel calcualtor to run. My question ultimately is...If i don't have an o2 does the MSNS just run the maps?If not do i need an o2 to run can i use the narrow band until i get a wideband for the MSNS

I bought the HARNESS from DIY. I didn't specify were i got the ecu, BTW i got it from a 2gnt member and YES it is for a 420a and YES it does have the proper software and YES everything is wired/conneted right. I'm asking for help with the settings in megatune to get the car running. Most importantly the cranking setting and such. Dang.

Also, i DO have cranking RPMS. I Said all sensor work correctly! The wiring was no challenge at all. I get pulse width, i just don't know much about its application. AND yes i'm only running fuel right now. I just have it all wired in forafter i get fuel going i can start messing with spark. Its all setup so i can switch back and forth between stock and any part of the MSNS quickly. I'm not stranded or anything. Jezz guys. Stop reading into this.

FIANLLY, i will have a wideband when i take it to get tuned. I just need the car to start and idle on its own power so it can be taken to a dyno and tuned. Don't worry about anything i don't ask for help on. Please.
4619, RE: Close but still no cigar
i dont understand
4620, RE: Close but still no cigar
Posted by adamzty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Warmage12WHAT I MEANT was, I don't see why this would be needed at all. Its not running an o2 sensor, so it can't possibly know what the AFR is in the first place. My guess is that i can't run the required fuel calculator, which is ok with me and last i checked it didn't need the required fuel calcualtor to run. My question ultimately is...If i don't have an o2 does the MSNS just run the maps?If not do i need an o2 to run can i use the narrow band until i get a wideband for the MSNS

Just leave that number at 14.7 in the calculator. If you want to know why, RTFM, it explains it.

You probably should wire the narrowband to the MS. It won't help a lot, but at least you will know when you are at 14.7 AFR.
4621, RE: Close but still no cigar
Thanks, i will.

I'll read up on that section some more. Lots to read. I checked my wiring harness again just to be sure. Everything checks out.

Which wire on our stock o2 do you tap into? I thought of doing this anyway as a reference to see if i was getting any fuel at all. Can i use the stock o2 or do i need to buy a seperate narrowband? Cause if that's the case i'll just drop this till i can get a wideband.

I wanted to ask too, is there a gauge in Megatune that can be used as a reference as to wether megatune is communicating or firing the injectors? Like when the megasquirt ECU is recieving a tach signal the Engine Rpm gauge reads in the Megatune screen, if not its not getting a signal the gauge just stays red. If there isn't a way to reference it using megatune the only alternatives i could think of is:

a) Pulling the fuel rail from the intake mani and see if the injectors are firing physically (not what i want to do for obvious reasons)
b) just check the plugs for fuel ever so often. (annoying and inconclusive)
c) wideband (expensive and not what i had in mind)

Thanks for the help. Please keep it coming. I really wanna get this running. :)
4622, RE: Close but still no cigar
jesse, stop asking questions. you look like a complete fucking idiot. please, just go read, and dont come back with a question until youve read and read, and if you have a question, searched. stop being dumb about this. you keep asking questions that are in the manual.
4623, RE: Close but still no cigar
I just wired in the stock o2. Interesting...wierd but interesting. One more thing to stare at.
4624, RE: Close but still no cigar
Posted by eclipse982nrRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Warmage12
I just wired in the stock o2. Interesting...wierd but interesting. One more thing to stare at.

LMAO
4629, RE: Close but still no cigar
Posted by djtrickee, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
Originally posted by Warmage12 I just wired in the stock o2. Interesting...wierd but interesting. One more thing to stare at.
LMAO

Lol, Lights go blinky. Weird but interesting.
I generated this page in 0.013004064559937 seconds, executing 7 queries.