Go back to previous topic
Forum nameEngine Management Systems & Controllers
Topic subjectMegasquirt question re:fuel pump wire
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=414
414, Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Will leaving the white/red fuel pump wire from the ECU disconnected cause a CEL. It's only on when the engine's running and won't save so I can't check it with my scantool. If I attached a relay to it and ran that through a resistor to ground would that work in removing the CEL? Anyone else with this problem or do we keep CEL's like a badge of honor?
415, RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire
Posted by HiOnPSI, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I keep my CEL light bulb laying in my center console like a trophy wife.
damn, all this stuff and you don't have a CEL?
*shows light*
bwah-hahahahaha.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS
1998 Dodge Dakota Sport
12.671 @ 111.660 1.586 60' 5/28/04

www.haiokuracing.com

shaun> i'm sayin', bro!
416, RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire
Posted by MrSlick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Keith2172
Will leaving the white/red fuel pump wire from the ECU disconnected cause a CEL. It's only on when the engine's running and won't save so I can't check it with my scantool. If I attached a relay to it and ran that through a resistor to ground would that work in removing the CEL? Anyone else with this problem or do we keep CEL's like a badge of honor?

If you want you can leave the fuel pump under the control of the stock pcm, this will have no ill effects. Just makes it harder to troubleshoot and test the MS. ;)

Lee.
419, RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire
But for sure leaving it disconnected like this will cause a CEL? Thanks for input, I'm considering hooking it to a resistor then to ground, try to trick it, I just don't know if that will hurt the PCM or something. I'd rather have the MegaSquirt control the fuel pump, I paid for a fuel management computer so I might as well make it manage the fuel :)
420, RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You're going to end up with CEL's regardless. 1 for each injector, 1 for the injector circuit. Ignore it.
422, RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire
Originally posted by DarkOne
You're going to end up with CEL's regardless. 1 for each injector, 1 for the injector circuit. Ignore it.

True unless you hook up resistors or injectors to the stock pcm.
You'll get CEL for ignition coils too. ;)
429, RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire
I have no CEL in regard to the injectors, Im running big ass resistors :) I'll try to take a picture of what I've done with the resistor pack I made. Would running the fuel pump wire to ground hurt the PCM? What exaclty does the White/red wire do, activate a relay or power the pump directly (the latter seems unlikely to me)? If I can trick the comp on that I'll be CELless, YaY!
438, RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Keith2172
I have no CEL in regard to the injectors, Im running big ass resistors :) I'll try to take a picture of what I've done with the resistor pack I made. Would running the fuel pump wire to ground hurt the PCM? What exaclty does the White/red wire do, activate a relay or power the pump directly (the latter seems unlikely to me)? If I can trick the comp on that I'll be CELless, YaY!

The red/white wire gets grounded from the ECU to switch on the fuel pump relay. If you want the MS to turn the relay on, just cut the wire at the relay or ECU, and cap the ECU side of the wire off. DO NOT ground the ECU side of the red/white. I'm probably just going to leave that alone, and let the ECU switch on the pump..just one less wire to hook up I guess..
441, RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I left my stock injectors hooked up through the stock harness, they're tucked away in the engine bay. Also, I have one of those coil pack loads that goes with my DIS-2, so if I leave that hooked up and have the MS do ignition, the ECU won't know the difference.

In theory, if the AFR is tuned properly and the spark table is good (no misfiring) the ECU would never notice and you would never get a check engine light.
437, RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire
Posted by baxsom, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

will you only get an ignition CEL if you are using the MS to run spark as well
439, RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by baxsom
will you only get an ignition CEL if you are using the MS to run spark as well

You will prob get the CEL's for the coilpack at a minimum..since it will be disconnected from the car's ECU.
440, RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire
Originally posted by XtremeRS
Originally posted by baxsom will you only get an ignition CEL if you are using the MS to run spark as well
You will prob get the CEL's for the coilpack at a minimum..since it will be disconnected from the car's ECU.

Correct.
You'll get one CEL for each side of the coilpack, only if you run sparkj that is.
462, RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire
Posted by ForceFed, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just like to throw this in here since every one is talking about CEL. My question is on the Smog test. By clearing the cell right before a smog test how long would it take for the ECU to figure out that something is missing like an EGR as an example?
467, RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire
Posted by dougie2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Up to 100 miles. You can't pass an OBD-II test during that time period though. They will tell you to come back when the ECU has performed all of it's tests.
I generated this page in 0.011570930480957 seconds, executing 7 queries.