Go back to previous topic
Forum nameEngine Management Systems & Controllers
Topic subjecti am officially scared!!!!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=3515
3515, i am officially scared!!!!
Posted by barza21, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
alright, heres what is going on, i went into tuners today and was reading up on MSnS, and i got scared. i can rebuild my engine with no problem and do all the turbo install and those things, but when it comes down to electrics, i am slow, and dumb. the reason why i say this is because i am learning about turbos, and am new to the tunning world. I have made my decision about MSnS and i am sticking with it, but i need some help, is the installation going to be a PITA? i see a bunch of wiring involved! is the tunning with MSnS going to be a PITA also???? i am not going to back out, but i will like to know what to expect. i have the main megasquirt page and have a basic idea on how it works, but anything that you guys would recomend me reading or doing in the mean time? i will start researching to make sure i have all my facts straight on how sfmu's, fpr's, etc. work and what they do.

any help would be deeply apreciated!
3516, RE: i am officially scared!!!!
Posted by justins71, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It's really not too bad, and I'd say if you go with the pre-built boxes it's only on the moderate harness for install. you don't need a sfmu, will need a rrfpr. On the easy side, you can tap new CLT and MAT sensors for the MS, and just tap your TPS and CrankPS. Wire up a few relays, make sure you have good grounds, and that's the install. It's up to you to re-wire the fuel pump or not, but it'll do fine with the stock ECU running it yet. It's advised to run a wideband into the MS, makes stuff MUCH easier. Other than that, it's all about gettin you maps tweaked to match your set-up, and there's tons of base maps/settings you can get to start from. www.msextra is very helpful if you need any help beyond your reach. For our cars, it's best to run MS1 V3.0. MS2 (last I heard) doesn't cope well with our ignition system, but can be used for fuel-only installs.
3517, RE: i am officially scared!!!!
Posted by barza21, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i am sorry i am going to ask this, (BANME! question) but what exactly do you mean by map??? and how do i read one? i am learning how to read the turbo efficiency maps, but these maps are completely new to me. i am like a basic kid, with basic knowledge, but i am willing to learn whatever it takes to help me out, if you guys could recomend anything that could help me out, that would be awesome!

thanks
3518, RE: i am officially scared!!!!
Posted by micyek, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Move to proper forum.

All the answers to your questions can be found here.
3519, RE: i am officially scared!!!!
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
MS can be a lot for some people depending on your lavel of knowledge. Best way to start out is to buy a prebuilt unit as a kit from someone on the forum that builds them. When I build mine for people, I always load my latest map which should get you started.

Terry
3521, RE: i am officially scared!!!!
Posted by justins71, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
MS maps and compressor maps are different. I guess they're more appropriately called tables. MS tables are basically a spreadsheet of RPM's vs. Engine load, and there's one for VE (Volumetric Efficiency, ability of the engine to perform work at specific point - i suppose is an ok crude definition), and a table for spark. MS just takes your current RPM, and your current load (vaccum or boost), references the tables, works in some other factors to give you fuel output and spark timing. Read up on megamanual for this stuff. It can be a great learning tool if you take your time and do the research, or you can blow your pistons through your roof if you're a dumbass and don't read up.
I generated this page in 0.0092568397521973 seconds, executing 7 queries.