Go back to previous topic
Forum nameEngine Management Systems & Controllers
Topic subjectMSnS reliablity questions/ set up questions.
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=3111
3111, MSnS reliablity questions/ set up questions.
Posted by tbone, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have been reading about this until my eyes have bled. Im still learning so please bare with me.

I am going to be putting my new engine in my car soon and I am concidering a MSnS for it. Its a built motor with turbo. To get the full potential out of my motor, I realize I would need to have a stand alone system. I have two major concerns. One being that I know almost nothing about tuning a car. I have talked to a shop that is very knowlagable with the megasquirt system and they are willing to work with me. My other concern is reliablity. Once tuned what should I expect? What is my reliablity going to be with a MSnS? I dont want to have to drive around with a laptop constantly messing with parameters.

I use this car daily and I need to have it reliable. What can you guys recomend for my set up. What would you think is the best MSnS for my application? What board/ software/ect?

Initally I plan on running about 18-20 psi, so I need to know what supporting mods I would need aswell. I plan on tunning both fuel and spark on the MSnS.

As for my motor.
8.8:1 JE forged w/.020"
Eagle rods
+1MM valves
Mild port on the head
60 trim turbo

I am still running stock cams and no cam gears (for now) I am running out of money. I need to sure up a fuel system, my head gasket is junk (oil in coolant) and I need to swap motors soon. I would rather get the turbo in and as opposed to running the built block and installing the turbo later.

3112, RE: MSnS reliablity questions/ set up questions.
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The MS has never left me stranded.

On another note, if your going to boost 20psi daily on pump gas then reliability is going to be compromised any way you look at it.
3113, RE: MSnS reliablity questions/ set up questions.
I understand that the high boost levels with cause some wear and tear, and relaiblilty will be compromised. I have no problem with doing general repairs, I actually like it. Its the "unknown" factor that I am scared of. I am fairly new to 2gs(just over a year) but not building cars. I really woulnd callt he 420A an exotic power plant, but its a build not typical. This makes support harder than it would be with other cars. The tuning aspect is what really has me set off. I am not the most comuter literate person on this earth.

Wireing and mechanic work are second nature for me. I dont see a problem with me being able to do an install. My luck is that I will melt all 4 piston on start up. This is why I am having the shop(Dentsport) tune the car once its built.

I want to eleviate a few things. I want to make sure that I get all the right parts up front, and install them in the proper manner. This will make the tuning aspct alot easier. I would hate to get the car to the shop and realize that I need more parts or I should have used other parts/software. This is what I am talking of in the reliabilty aspect of the build.

If there was anyone close to Boston that would be willing to help with this aspect the build It would be very appreciated.

3114, RE: MSnS reliablity questions/ set up questions.
Posted by VelocitaPaola, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by tbone
If there was anyone close to Boston that would be willing to help with this aspect the build It would be very appreciated.

I'm in Chestnut Hill if you need help. I've built four MSnS-E units thusfar, and the install is pretty straightforward. The list of required parts is probably smaller than you realize... if you can follow a simple wiring diagram, then you'll be fine. As for the initial startup, there's plenty of support for you both here and on msefi.com. There are also plenty of MSQ files floating around to get you up and running and over to your shop... so I wouldn't worry too much.

-http://www.symtechlabs.com/-

3117, RE: MSnS reliablity questions/ set up questions.
that would be great! I hope to be working on this soon.

Tom
3118, RE: MSnS reliablity questions/ set up questions.
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Building, installing, and tuning a Megasquirt system can be quite overwhelming at first. It's good that you want a shop that knows the system to tune it,but if this is going to be a dialy driver,then you really need to inform and educate yourself on every aspect of the MS. It makes it just that much easier to tune and adjust things here and there, yourself. Read all you can on msefi.com, the megamanual, anything you can to learn. Read it over as many times as it takes for it to make sense. You really have to put forth the effort to learn, as the MS can be complicated for beginners in engine management/fuel injection/and tuning. My MS have never left me stranded either. It's all in the actual build of the MS, and in the install. If it's done properly, not rushed, and made with good connections, it will be very reliable. I've taken my MS'd eclipse all over the place, from Michigan to IL, Michigan to Ohio at the Shootout, and the longest drive i've made with it so far is roughly a 5 hour drive, to and from each way, without a single issue. Like stated above, there is plenty of help here and at msefi.com to get you started and to inform, so learn all you can, and have at it! The MS is really a great, economical tuning computer. You will either love it if you figure it all out and understand it, or hate it if you dont understand it..
3119, RE: MSnS reliablity questions/ set up questions.
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Good choice of shops Tom, heh heh. As I said before, Matt will definitely hook you up. I have had 0 issues with my tune by Matt. Starts, runs, goes (and it goes pretty good). As said before, the install is relatively straight forward. If you are going to fire her up yourself, ask Matt to send you a base map. Probably will. Best to start her up on stock spark.

Good luck,
MB
3120, RE: MSnS reliablity questions/ set up questions.
I figure that I will probably just send it to Matt with nothing for a map. It will probably be more of a hassle to get it running and then send it there to change the configuration and be tuned. I only live about 15-20 miles away from DSG, Ill just have it towed there.

As for parts needed, I am still searching. I ask before I buy to make sure that my list is what I need.

Guys, thanks for your insight/info.

Tom
I generated this page in 0.0085041522979736 seconds, executing 7 queries.