Go back to previous topic
Forum nameEngine Management Systems & Controllers
Topic subjectabout the Zeitronix WBO2,
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=2107
2107, about the Zeitronix WBO2,
Posted by powellds, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I don't have a serial port on my laptop, just a usb port, will any serial to usb work, or will only a specific one work on the Zeitronix WBO2? I was just going to get one from Ebay instead of spending a fortune from Zeitronix. TIA!
2108, RE: about the Zeitronix WBO2,
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just did a megasuirt install and used a zetronic WB..i tried to use a port replicator with the WB, but it didnt work. The port replicator is basically like a serial-usb adaptor, but not too sure otherwise on what will work..others may have more info for you.
2113, RE: about the Zeitronix WBO2,
Posted by baxsom, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I had to go buy a cheap old laptop to get my zeitronix to work as well. I even bought their replicator and the program would still crash as soon as i opened it up.

You would think that in this day and age they would get smart and go USB only.

Good luck finding a serial cable as well. I had to order one online
2114, RE: about the Zeitronix WBO2,
Posted by powellds, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well, would any USB to Serial cable work, or just the one that Zeitronix sells? They want $29 for one, I can get one off of Ebay for like $15. Do you think I should just get the one from Zeitronix?
2118, RE: about the Zeitronix WBO2,
Like I said, I got the one from zeitronix and it would crash the program every time i tried to connect.

I bought one from the local best buy as well with the same effect.

If you dont have a serial port your best bet is to do what I did and get the pocketlogger cable and software for the zeitronix. It works great and datalogs just like the laptop program without having to worry about serial cables.
2127, RE: about the Zeitronix WBO2,
Posted by xcasbonx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by baxsom
Like I said, I got the one from zeitronix and it would crash the program every time i tried to connect. I bought one from the local best buy as well with the same effect. If you dont have a serial port your best bet is to do what I did and get the pocketlogger cable and software for the zeitronix. It works great and datalogs just like the laptop program without having to worry about serial cables.

There has to be something else wrong with your settings or something with the laptop. I don't see how a brand new serial cable especially bought from Zeitronix would cause your software to just crash everytime you open the program.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1185
2128, RE: about the Zeitronix WBO2,
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by baxsom
You would think that in this day and age they would get smart and go USB only.

With RS232, it is wicked easy to make a GUI for something. All you need is visual basic and a little programming experience.

When you bring USB into the picture, it gets considerably more complicated.
2129, RE: about the Zeitronix WBO2,
It is not the serial cable.
It is a serial to USB converter cable.
basically this cable creates a virtual com port that allows the serial device to be read by the computer.

Now the zeitronix program was not written with the intent of being used that way so it only has a limited number of com ports that it can be accessed with.

My computer without the serial port would always default the serial to usb converter to com 4. The zeitronix program would only recognize com 2. Hence the crashing.

Once I bought an old laptop that had a serial port no problems. Since it is hard to watch a laptop and drive at the same time I got the PDA cable from zeitronix and the software from pocketlogger. This setup is perfect. There is large numbers for AF/boost/rpm/egt right in front of me and the connection is stable.

The only problem I had running even the older laptop with the serial cable is that if you were to jar it then the keys would move enough to send the signal to stop the datalogging.
2667, RE: about the Zeitronix WBO2,
Posted by Slo2g, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yes I know that this is an old post but I still had some questions on it so I emailed Zeitronix and here is what I was told "It looks like USB serial adapter driver problem. Most software's out there have 4 COM ports. We designed it with 8. More than
enough since you are using only one." I even posted to him a link to this page. I just thought I would see what you guys think and that it could possibly answer some questions that other people had about the display and just the wb o2 with a laptop.
I generated this page in 0.011478900909424 seconds, executing 7 queries.