Go back to previous topic
Forum nameEngine Management Systems & Controllers
Topic subjectPortfueler fuel lines and software
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=2067
2067, Portfueler fuel lines and software
Posted by powellds, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey, I am about to order the portfueler from Hahn and just had a few questions. How does the Aeromotive 1:1 regulator go in? Do you take out your stock FPR? Also, what's the order of the fuel lines, does it go from the pump to the stock fuel rail, to the portfueler rail, then to the 1:1 and then return to the tank? Last, how easy is the software that comes with it to tune if you have a wideband O2? Thanks for any help.
2068, RE: Portfueler fuel lines and software
Posted by PiKapp504, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That is 100% correct on the fuel line setup. As for the software, I've never used it so I couldn't tell ya. Just to re-iterate, the fuel lines go like this: line up to OEM rail, line to PF rail, line to 1:1, line to return line.
2078, RE: Portfueler fuel lines and software
Posted by baxsom, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the fuel software is pretty easy
it helps to have a datalogger that will read boost, rpm and air fuel like the zeitronix because the fuel table is like a spreadsheet.

across the top is the boost level in .5 psi incriments
down the left is rpm in 500 rpm incriments

the boost sensor and tach sensor inside the PF module find the appropriate cell and turn on the injectors for the length of time based on the cells contents

you can adjust each cell + or - based on what your datalogger says for that given rpm and boost setting
or there is a select all function and you can adjust the entire map percentage wise.

My PF with the 440cc injectors came with a map that was 9:1 at 10psi
so tuning is a definite must

2094, RE: Portfueler fuel lines and software
I am also going with the 440cc injectors from RC. I am getting the boost sensor for the Zeitronix as well, how long did it take you to tune your car once you got the portfueler installed? Thanks for the info bro! :thumbsup
2096, RE: Portfueler fuel lines and software
All in all about a week total time to get something that didnt worry me.

The hard part was getting somewhere to do a hard pull to redline since the closet track is a long way off.

I started with taking away fuel across the board on both A and B maps using the select all and change by buttons and then doing a run.

Then I just kept doing that until I was in the 11's AFR across the board and then tweaked individual cells.
2097, RE: Portfueler fuel lines and software
How long have you had the portfueler for??? Do you have to constantly keep retuning it? I live in a place where the temperature between night and day are pretty dramatic. Will I have problems with that? Thanks for all the info so far though.
2098, RE: Portfueler fuel lines and software
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by powellds
I live in a place where the temperature between night and day are pretty dramatic. Will I have problems with that?

Give it a try, the worst thing that can happen is that you will tune it well for the cold and it will be rich when it heats up.

or

Stick your big injectors in the primary rail (controlled by the stock ECU) and hook the stock ones up to the PF. You will have less error that way, in theory at least.
2099, RE: Portfueler fuel lines and software
The big injectors are too large to be controlled by the ecu. The standard is 440cc. It would run hella rich when not in boost.
Now I have read that its a good idea to put the stock injectors in the portfueler rail and the secondaries in the primary rail and switch the harnesses.
2100, RE: Portfueler fuel lines and software
Originally posted by baxsom
hella

You mean "wicked"?
2102, RE: Portfueler fuel lines and software
Originally posted by baxsom
The big injectors are too large to be controlled by the ecu. The standard is 440cc. It would run hella rich when not in boost. Now I have read that its a good idea to put the stock injectors in the portfueler rail and the secondaries in the primary rail and switch the harnesses.

Why would this be better, just because of the position of the injectors for atomization maybe?? Just a guess.
2103, RE: Portfueler fuel lines and software
The stock ECU is able to correct for air temperature, the PF, 034EIC, etc... doesn't.

Putting the injectors controlled by the ECU further from the cylinders could make the problem worse. It may have unpredictable results - the equilibrium between evaporation and condensation of fuel pooling on the intake tract will certainly be different than the ECU expects, it may be able to correct for this to some extent, or there may not be any noticeable difference at all. Experiment... see what works best for your setup.
2105, RE: Portfueler fuel lines and software
That is sorta the explanation that I was given for the reason to switch them. Putting the stock injectors in the PF rail places them closer to the head where they were originally while the secondaries are pushed back with the intake manifold.
However if you look at them once installed they sit pretty much directly on top of each other.

If I ever take my intake off again I am going to switch them back to normal and see if it makes a difference.
2106, RE: Portfueler fuel lines and software
Duh... my mistake. I forgot that the PF rail is actually closer to the head. I was thinking of the old-school 8 injector method.
2146, RE: Portfueler fuel lines and software
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
rather then move around the injectors, wouldn't it be faster/easier to just swap injector harnesses? I.E. the stock harness goes where the PF injectors are and the PF harness goes where the stock injectors are.
4536, RE: Portfueler fuel lines and software
Posted by Ebster1085, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hi guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I am finishing up with my Portfueler installation and I am hoping to begin tuning it late this week into this weekend.

It seems like the consensus is that a good way to start is to do a 3rd gear pull and log air/fuel data, and then use the select all feature on the Portfueler, and take off fuel accross the board. Repeat this until I get to around 11 air/fuel ratio across the board and then tune individual cells from there.

My question is, every time I use select all and take off from all cells, how much do you recommend I take off each time?

Thanks,
4539, RE: Portfueler fuel lines and software
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
IIRC, i took off 5% each time.
I generated this page in 0.0092058181762695 seconds, executing 7 queries.