Go back to previous topic
Forum nameEngine Management Systems & Controllers
Topic subjectMSD DIS-2 with Apexi SAFC on boost
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=1451
1451, MSD DIS-2 with Apexi SAFC on boost
Posted by Venger_X, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ok, I'm getting real close to boosting my 420a, It's fully built with a Slowboyracing bottom end all forged with 8.8:1 comp, ARP head studs with a Cometic head gasket, Ported and polished head with bigger valves and stock cams for now(Crane 16's goning back in), Ported and polished intake manifold, 60mm TB, AFX Race ECU, Solid front motor mount, Rear mount with the poly insert, Southbend DXD-F clutch with the SS pressure plate, and a Phantom grip LSD.

Now when I boost it, it's a custom setup with a Garett GT28/71R with a decent front mount intercooler and it'll prolly have a intercooler spray bar. I'll prolly have it set a 15psi most the time maybe 20psi for the track. Now what I'm wondering is, or would this work. Install the Apexi SAFC for the fuel control, and install the programable MSD DIS-2 that has the Timing retard for boosted aplications. I know the AFX ECU advances the timing and down low thats good till boost hits but then you want to take that timing and pull it back out as boost increases. So do you guys think the Programable MSD DIS-2 with a SAFC could handle the GT28/71R at
15-20psi ? Any input on this would be greatly apreciated
1460, RE: MSD DIS-2 with Apexi SAFC on boost
Someone ? Anyone ? No one has any ideas or answers ?
1461, RE: MSD DIS-2 with Apexi SAFC on boost
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ok, some of the things you are doing or saying dont make sense.
you are spending quite some cash and skimping on other things, that IMO you shouldnt.

Why even get the AFX ecu? you do know that it has more aggresive timing...right?

why the PG? The track record seems 50/50 at best.

why the intercooler sprayer? there is even a topic on this posted...I beleive it does squat, and if it does, just causes more variables and problems in our platform.

you dont mention a thing about fuel other then the safc, at 20 psi, its not a toy you should have in there. I dont even consider it a serious tool for us.

From what I gather your using one thing to control another on top of another. Save your time, money, and tears dude.
1475, RE: MSD DIS-2 with Apexi SAFC on boost
aight, I've had the AFX ECU for over a year now and besides I still have my stock ECU that works perfectly. The PG LSD, I haven't heard any bad things about it, it's done great in my car so far, no issues what so ever, I like it. The intercooler sprayer is iffy, just and Idea I had since I have a spare nitrous bottle. The fuel system right now is a walbro 255, haven't decided on a FMU yet, or injectors but I'm shopping around, any suggestions ? and my fuel pressure with the walbro 255 is roughly 58psi at idle and 59 0r 60psi at WOT. I like the whole idea of the Mega squirt unit, but I guess a lil scared of it, I was trying to stay away from a stand alone. I'm old School Muscle, thats how I learned about cars. Now I have both, old school carbed Camaro and new age high tech 4 banger. I know the basics of turbo systems, I guess I just need a little push in the right direction. Any and all imput will be considered. I will do a long search to try and understand the MS system. Please hit me back with any suggestions and ideas guys, most of my 420a knowledge came from ya'll so keep it up.
1476, RE: MSD DIS-2 with Apexi SAFC on boost
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well if your serious about it, look into something a bit better then the S-AFC. For the money youve invested so far, that would seriously handycap you.

As for your ignition concerns, yes the msd will do ok.
1477, RE: MSD DIS-2 with Apexi SAFC on boost
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
For the money, look at other options. The SAFC is about $300, and the Programmable MSD is about $400, right? and, FWIW, the SAFC can only allow you to control an injector in the mid-400cc range, which isn't really a whole lot of fuel.

Think about much nicer toys you could have as far as engine management for that $700. Portfueler, maybe, since you're scared of the MS?
1478, RE: MSD DIS-2 with Apexi SAFC on boost
Yes I am very serious about Boosting my Avenger and putting it in the 400HP range, maybe not at first but eventually. Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming. What else is there besides the SAFC ? I've heard the port fueler is kinda troublesome, Greddy has a new thing out but I haven't heard much on it yet, also heard the AEM EMS is extremely difficult to hook into our cars. I take back about being scared of the MS system, I did alot, and I mean alot of reading up on it last night and for $320 I can get the MSnS setup ready to go, just add the fuel and ignition maps. I'm really starting to like the MS system. Like I said I'm old school, but I guess you can teach and "old" dog new tricks. Any ideas for injectors to feed a GT28/71R @ 15psi ?, or a FMU ? Ok I'm gonna get going, gonna go do some more research on the MS setup. Like I said, keep the advice coming.
1479, RE: MSD DIS-2 with Apexi SAFC on boost
Posted by RxR_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
IF you go the MS route you will need a 1:1 ratio adjustable regulator, Aeromotive seems to be the popular one. I have it, love it.

Injectors are another story, there are pleanty of choices out there. I would go with a nice set of 600-700 cc. They should idle good and have pleanty of room for power(not sure if they will make 400 hp or not). I have a set of seimens 83's that I have not had a chance to install :( so I can't tell you if they are good idle'rs or not but that size would support 400 hp for sure. I know others here are using 600-700cc ones with no problems. You will also want to be aware of which ohm injector you get, the low impedance ones will require a flyback board or at the least a resistor box from another car.

Try here for your injectors, they seem reasonably priced.

http://www.racetronix.com/

If you do decide to go the MS route, there are pleanty of people here that will help you through it.

1482, RE: MSD DIS-2 with Apexi SAFC on boost
Sweet, thanks for the info guys. I'll be researching more on things to get it ready. By the way, I see RxR is making 267WHP at 15psi what Turbo and motor mods are done ? What else is everyone else running, like what kind of Turbo and how much psi ? Thanks again guys.
I generated this page in 0.0087399482727051 seconds, executing 7 queries.