Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjecthooking up hoist?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=96521
96521, hooking up hoist?
Posted by 96rs-t, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ok, this is ridiculous, i'm about to take out my engine and i can't figure out where to hook up the brackets of the cherry picker to pull it out. Engine is ready to come out, just trying to figure out where the heck i hook up the hoist to?? ahhh
96522, RE: hooking up hoist?
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
there should be 2 metal brackets with holes in them.

one is on the front drivers side of the head, and I'm pretty sure the other is rear passenger side of head.... I'll go outside and double check on the other one.

Yup, rear passenger side of the head, it's right behind the cam gears, maybe off to the side a bit towards the intake manifold.
96523, RE: hooking up hoist?
yea, i was looking at corbins pictures on the write up, and saw the two brackets on his head. I don't have those
96525, RE: hooking up hoist?
Originally posted by 96rs-t
yea, i was looking at corbins pictures on the write up, and saw the two brackets on his head. I don't have those

that's no good
96526, RE: hooking up hoist?
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if you dont have those brackets then you will need to use the bolt holes in those locations. Just make sure you snug the bolts down so the stress isnt on the bolt itself.
96527, RE: hooking up hoist?
from the picture on corbins write up, it looks as if his front bracket is bolted to the exhaust mani lower right hole :shrug

I know that little bolt won't hold the cherry picker bracket. The brackets on the cherry picker have bolt holes equivelent to the size of the tranny/block bolts.
96528, RE: hooking up hoist?
from the picture on corbins write up, it looks as if his front bracket is bolted to the exhaust mani lower right hole

there is another one about 3 inches up and 1 to the right, for you it should be an empty hole with threads in it.

Hope that helps some.
96529, RE: hooking up hoist?
the bracket is actually held on with 2 bolts. The driver side is held on by the lower right exhaust bolt and you will see another bolt hole right above it that isnt used. Same goes for the pass rear of head. Its a mirror image of the drivers. I have used the 1 bolt on each to hold a chain because i had lost my brackets at the time. They hold fine but make sure the bolts are snug to the chain and not loose.
96534, RE: hooking up hoist?
ok, i saw the holes. I just need bolts with big enough heads to hold the chain's brackets now. Does anyone by some chance sell these brackets?
96535, RE: hooking up hoist?
Posted by brokenrodguy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just used an exhaust hold and then wrapped around my intake and it worked fine. It really doesnt take much
96536, RE: hooking up hoist?
yea, time to get creative. I'm taking this bitch out now!!
96539, RE: hooking up hoist? success
woohoo! got that sucker out. Never did i think I would be able to take out a motor all by myself. It was actually quite simple, I left the tranny in, and that shit was a tight ass squeeze.

I guess the hard part is next.
96540, RE: hooking up hoist? success
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I find it easier to take the tranny and the engine, but thats me.

I would also have done what the other guy said, wrap the chain around the manifolds and use connectors to connect the chain.
96541, RE: hooking up hoist? success
i basically bolted the chain brackets to the A/C pump bracket (where it bolts to the block) and the other two chains i bolted them on the intake mani where the two bolts go on the TB. Held up just fine.
96542, RE: hooking up hoist? success
Originally posted by Chamuko
I find it easier to take the tranny and the engine, but thats me. I would also have done what the other guy said, wrap the chain around the manifolds and use connectors to connect the chain.

I prefer motor only.
96546, RE: hooking up hoist? success
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
dood how's the rebuild going? are you doing a forged rebuild
96562, RE: hooking up hoist? success
Originally posted by ez
dood how's the rebuild going? are you doing a forged rebuild

so far it's going quite well, besides the heater hoses i ripped off since i couldn't take them off. Oh well, easy fix. Next is the difficult part tho; kinda nervouse about not sealing the head to block properly and definitely gonna have trouble with the timing belt, but I shall wait and see.

edit: oh, and yes, this is a forged rebuild.
96563, RE: hooking up hoist? success
kinda nervouse about not sealing the head to block properly and definitely gonna have trouble with the timing belt, but I shall wait and see.

eh, just make sure you get head checked for flatness and do everything the way you are supposed to and you should be fine.

Timing... I'm assuming that you'll be doing that out of the car... shouldn't be too bad.

If my engine was out of the car I'm positive I could have done it myself. With the mechanical tensioner (I don't know if you are using that) and the engine in the car, it takes 2 people... 1 to tension it, and another to see where the alignment marker is on the tensioner.

You will get it, I have confidence in you!!!
96564, RE: hooking up hoist? success
Originally posted by 95_ESi_Person
Originally posted by 96rs-t kinda nervouse about not sealing the head to block properly and definitely gonna have trouble with the timing belt, but I shall wait and see.
You will get it, I have confidence in you!!!

hehe, thanks. I'm definitely going to take my time and make sure everything is good.
96565, RE: hooking up hoist? success
Posted by XMasta19, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I rebuilt my motor in the engine bay, did the timing with mechanical tensioner all by myself lol....if I can do it yo, you'll figure it out :thumbsup
I generated this page in 0.011002063751221 seconds, executing 7 queries.