Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectIdle Screw Question With Pic
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=96450
96450, Idle Screw Question With Pic
Posted by Slammed0, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My check engine light came on a few weeks ago. Well while my dad and I were doing some diagnostics on it to figure it out, he was under the hood and he was messing with this idle screw, as seen in the picture. I didn't know he had planned to mess with it.

So my question is, did he mess with the engine management at all? The car seems to be running properly. I figured whatever he did there the computer would compensate for it. I just wanted to double check with somebody who might know. Thanks! 96 2.0 GS 5 Speed

96451, RE: Idle Screw Question With Pic
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Is your CEL a code 25? Target idle not reached? If your father moved it out far enough you'd idle too high, I've had that problem before, idle was at 1150ish rpms.

Actually, I'm pulling a code 25 right now... I idle fine. Damn old car with it's problems.
96452, RE: Idle Screw Question With Pic
Posted by edxmon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hmm, i dont belive that IS an idle screw in any way, the idle in out cars in controlled by the ECU via the IAC which is on the opposite side where that "screw" is if that screw ur pointing out anything it seems it would control the throttle plate in som way, but im pretty sure it doesnt even do that. Anyways, i dont mean to sound like a smart ass, but if i am correct in this, fellow 2gnter be proud cuz i have learned! and if im wrong, peeps plz come in here and educate me and the poster!

P.S. your CAI clamps pictured seem alil unsecure, make sure u check that coupler for leaks!

damnit i WAS wrong, so that IS an idler screw, but now i know what the cause of my relatively slow rev drop may be...thanks Esi_person for clearing that up ^^
96454, RE: Idle Screw Question With Pic
Posted by wickedtalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i'm pretty sure that there is an aluminum cap on the back side of the screw and I drilled into it a little and it popped out. dont need the cap anyways.
96455, RE: Idle Screw Question With Pic
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by edxmon
damnit i WAS wrong, so that IS an idler screw, but now i know what the cause of my relatively slow rev drop may be...thanks Esi_person for clearing that up ^^

I've looked at the factory one (actually, it's sitting on my desk) and I have NO idea on how you can move that screw, there is nothing short of channel locks or vice grips that you can use to turn it... I'm not going to try on this one because I would like to sell it.

The MP throttle body, however, is adjustable, and I had the screw out too far on mine keeping the plate open ever so slightly.

EDIT: WickedTalon posted before I got this up! I had no idea about that cap, it looks pressed in.

96458, RE: Idle Screw Question With Pic
Posted by baxsom, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the 55mm i got off of ebay has that cap removed and a torx screw in its place. before on the oem TB my pocketlogger said that at idle my tps was at 11%
the new TB that came with the idle screw all the way in so that the metal plates hits closer in, reads 9%

car still idles fine at 800-900 rpms

i think that it would just make your IAC behave differently so that the engine still got the same amount of air
96463, RE: Idle Screw Question With Pic
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That cap is removable. Stab it with a screwdriver, the screw is a T20 Torx IIRC. However, any adjustment done here will be corrected by the IAC, so it's pointless anyway, for most of you. I use it to raise my idle to ~1300 RPM to improve the idle with my cams, and because i could give a fuck less if my CEL is on. (i've got ~15 codes stored right now)
96481, RE: Idle Screw Question With Pic
Posted by cougar694u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I used it when I reassembled my motor and wanted it to idle at 2500 RPM's for 30 minutes. Easier than sitting in it holding the gas pedal.
96504, RE: Idle Screw Question With Pic
Posted by Slammed0, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Cool thanks guys. Ya I got the Check Engine light off. It was a vacuum leak. But just knowing that my dad messed with that I was hoping it wasn't throwing off the ECU. Seems to be running fine. I wish I knew the EXACT rpms.
I generated this page in 0.013812065124512 seconds, executing 7 queries.