Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectSeafoam intake cleaner
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=84785
84785, Seafoam intake cleaner
Posted by LeJeune123, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I searched on here and did not find what I was looking for. I was wondering how many of people are actually using it and what hose did you use to suck it up with. I also want to know of any horror stories like it made my car run worse or it made my oil leak worse or just good comments. Anything would be helpful in figuring if I should go ahead and use it or not. Also my motor has 166,000 miles and has been losing power as of late. Thanks.
84790, RE: Seafoam intake cleaner
Posted by run4cvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I put it in a small spray bottle and sprayed it through the TB. I also poured about 2 capfulls through the spark plug holes and let it sit on the piston faces over night. To be honest, i dont think it did anything. :shrug
84791, RE: Seafoam intake cleaner
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by run4cvr
To be honest, i dont think it did anything. :shrug

LMAO....

Actually if you want something to clea the pistons and the intake buy Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner. Yup you guessed it, available at the dealer. This stuff actually works well for the pistons. Several Guys on ChicagoDSM have reported letting it soak on the pistons at TDC have improved compression that was loss due to carbon deposits. Not sure how well it works with cleaning the intake but it does wonders for your valve seats and CC. Follow instruction on the back of the can. You can also rotate the engine to get a piston to TDC and fill the CC with cleaner and let it soak. Granted this part would take a while since you can only doe on cyl at a time but it has proven to work well.

I would change the oil when you are done.

Terry

84843, RE: Seafoam intake cleaner
Posted by Talontaxi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Theres no such thing as magic in a bottle, I don't know why people can't understand this. I recently read a test on octane boosters and injectors cleaners and you know how many out of the 50 that actully showed any real results? NONE. Theres so many additives and cleaners out there but very very few of them are worth your money or time. The only thing I've ever seen that actully works is motorvac. Its actully a machine that cycles a cleaner through your engine. Theres other machines out there that do the same but there expensive and you have to go to a shop to get it done. Its the only thing I've ever seen actully remove tough carbon deposits. If you think you have a promblem with carbon deposits I'd reccomend going to a shop and getting that done and see if its helps. The service usually runs around 50$
84853, RE: Seafoam intake cleaner
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What do you think Dodge dealers use? Believe what you want MCCC has proven itself and dealer techs will use it as well. I used to work with a journeyman for Countryside Jeep Eagle and he agree with many of the advantages of it.

Terry
84875, RE: Seafoam intake cleaner
Posted by Talontaxi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
What do you think Dodge dealers use? Believe what you want MCCC has proven itself and dealer techs will use it as well. I used to work with a journeyman for Countryside Jeep Eagle and he agree with many of the advantages of it. Terry

I've used it to on several occasions and while it is the exception as far as cleaners of this nature, and i have seen results from it, they have never been as good as a motorvac type system. Granted I never let the stuff soak like you suggested. Have you ever used a sytem like motorvac or seen the internals of an engine after it? I once ran a motorvac then pulled the exhaust manifold off the vehicle and it looked like the exhaust ports were just hand cleaned. Stuff like seafoam may have its place, but you'll never catch me using it on anything but ultra light duty cleaning.
87682, RE: Seafoam intake cleaner
I just ran the Seafoam intake cleaner and damn there were clouds of smoke everywhere. I now know I have a bunch of leaks in my header.lol I used the PCV port which I know won't hit all the cylinders but I was in a rush cause of work. I got the car up to normal operating temp. then pulled off the PCV hose and pluged it with my finger them slipped another hose into and then plugged that one. I then revved my motor using the TB linkage and slipped the hose into the can. When the hose hit the cleaner white smoke was coming from everywhere. My header leaked so bad for a second or two I couldn't see the motor. It sucked it up so fast it only took about 15 seconds to finish the whole can, of course I was revving to like 4 grand so that might have helped. Make sure you rev and hold it while the hose is in the can cause my car died once cause I wasn't fast enough then it took a bit to start it again. After I finished the bottle I went a took it for a ride. There were people rubernecking everywhere to see what the hell that was.haha After you finish riding around and the smoke seems to have slowed down you need to change the oil and clean the plugs. My car idles lower now 900-700 and feels smoother. The performance gain is there is none, but to me but just having a smoother idle and seeing the look on everyones face was priceless.

Sorry Star Turbo Talon but all the dealerships I went to only had MCCC in 1 gallon cans. So for 6 bucks and a little smoother idle it works good enough for me. Also my original motor has 175,000 miles. I am going to recheck compression tonight so I can see if it differs from the one I did 3 days ago.

Please do not turn this into a flame fest as all the other threads on this topic have become! Thank you.
87691, RE: Seafoam intake cleaner
Posted by baxsom, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
there is like a 9 page thread on dsmtuners about seafoam
the general consensus is that it works
been meaning to try it myself
just to see what the hype is about but i cant find it anywhere

it is a good question though as to where to put it in at
the 4G guys use the "P" port whatever that is
could you use a line feeding into the Upper IC piping like from a nitrous feed or a water injection line

87693, RE: Seafoam intake cleaner
I read over every single page on that site but some people refuse to use that site and in the whole thread no one says where they used it on their 2g N/T. It is no mirical worker but if a bad idle or slight hesitation is your problem this may be a fix.

Compression Numbers
Before After
#1 140 150
#2 190 185
#3 185 180
#4 190 185

87694, RE: Seafoam intake cleaner
Posted by Collente, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Its not designed to make miracles, its designed to clean your shit out, It cleans the guck on you intake runners in your intake mani and so forth. Octane boosters and injector cleaner are completly different things, and yes you are correct they usually dont do shit. They claim 7 points higher, which is 91.00 to 91.07... Thats IF you actually get 91 octane out of the pump. Most of the time its less, unless you are going to a pop. gas station that frequently goes through their gas supply. Then you usually get the correct rating. There have been people that tested their local gas stations and it was pretty wack what they came out with.

Use the seafoam at night, this way you dont get screwed when there are billows of smoke comming out of your exhaust. Oh wait?!? where did the smoke come from?!?!?!?! It came from all the carbon deposits from your intake mani and I believe your combustions too (but dont quote me on that)

Bla bla bla, ive said too much already u get the point

EDIT: WTF?! I never heard of pouring it through your pvc, I put small cap fulls into the tb, and very slowly so you dont backfire or kill the motor.

Nick
97RS
I generated this page in 0.013867855072021 seconds, executing 7 queries.