Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectcompression result!!! About engine rebuilt!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=84071
84071, compression result!!! About engine rebuilt!
Posted by gilee_8, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sup guys.
I just did a compression ratio. 200, 160, 200, 200

It is definitely cylinder #2, and I cranked extra (x2) for it, and it still stay at 160. But it's only a small different. can it be the #2 problem? can it be the ring?

As we speak, I am taking turbo off, DP off, then oilpan.

Please let me know asap!
Thank alot guys.
Gil
84073, URGENT!!! more about oil leak!!! About engine rebuilt! (PIC Inside)
1.5 weeks ago when I was in NYC, I see white smoke and I stopped my car, and I open my hood and see all those oil!!!! on my hood also! Dripping down.

This is my current setup of how my engine bay look like.
The catchcan is not in the picture but I drew it.
The RED circle is where I SEE ALL the oil spitted onto. the upper 3 circles are not as much.. but the lower 1 circle is HEAVILY COVERED with oil! (fan, radiator, air filter, turbo intake mani side, hood spot above turbo)

Now Today, as I took all my turbo off, etc etc... now going to start on my engine! But look below picture!

Where the red circled intercooler pipe. as soon as I took it off. OIL! prolly 1/4 quart just POUR out onto the ground! That really indicate that maybe my turbo is SHITTED? so I assume my entire FMIC, pipes and all are filled with engine oil!

Coz I see engine oil IN my air filter, turbo intake side (inside) and also my turbo seems to be LOCKED and won't spin

I really don't know if it's my ENGINE or my Turbo? or some other sort? Coz at first, (from first pic) I was assuming (as DarkOne said also) it's the piston ring land and of massive blow by, so oil SPIT all out from the catchcan breather! (correct location)
But from now, my entire IC pipe is FILLED with oil and my turbo is LOCKED! what should I do? can it be my turbo. then massive oil is leak into my engine intake, and create white smoke? also as I said, when I drove back from NYC, (slowly) after I parked I get off, no white smoke! ????

My compression number is NOT that low. 200-160-200-200

Also, I did the compression test when engine is COLD!

SO please tell me.
Can I leave my engine block? it's not broken? just my turbo????

Thanks guys.
As we speak, I am taking off my oilpan to see if any broken pieces!
I need to get some input, so I don't have to take all timing off, crank pulley, engine head, and have to put them back (so pitty otherwise)

Gil
84075, RE: URGENT!!! more about oil leak!!! About engine rebuilt! (PIC Inside)
Posted by turbo8u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
...:twitch
84078, RE: URGENT!!! more about oil leak!!! About engine rebuilt! (PIC Inside)
Posted by pr0, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well your Cyl 2 is loosing compression big time, that's a 30 difference when the max should be about 15. Could be the rings on that pistion... Valve seals are also known to cause oil loss, or the guides but your smoke is white? That's usually from anti-freeze burning... Oil burning would be blue.

I would say its your turbo but you'll also have your check the rings on your #2 pistion.
84079, RE: URGENT!!! more about oil leak!!! About engine rebuilt! (PIC Inside)
Posted by bullox, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by pr0
Well your Cyl 2 is loosing compression big time, that's a 30 difference

maybe even 40 ;)
84081, RE: URGENT!!! more about oil leak!!! About engine rebuilt! (PIC Inside)
Guys... White or Blue... the point is.. I am sure it's burning ENGINE oil. coz I have ENGINE oil all over the INTAKE mani inside.

The point is.
If my pistion ring is wearing out... it's ok. at least I can wait till summer to do the rebuilt.

Turbo8u? any help? guys? I am taking off the oil pan now. can someone please give me some clue on what to do?

It's freezing outside here. no garage.. if it's not the engine NOT good, I don't really want to spend over a month to 2 fixing it.

Please give me more INPUT!
Thanks alot guys.
Gil
84107, RE: URGENT!!! more about oil leak!!! About engine rebuilt! (PIC Inside)
Posted by DR1665v2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by gilee_8
...and also my turbo seems to be LOCKED and won't spin ... That really indicate that maybe my turbo is SHITTED?

OMG, Gil. You're killing me here. Your turbo is dead. Paperweight imo. You need to find a stock exhaust manifold and downpipe so you can just run it NA until the new motor is ready and you get that turbo rebuilt or replaced. Just watch your oil. If your rings are shot (or going in that one cylinder) or you have valve issues, you will go through the oil and keeping it maintained at the right level will buy you the time you need. While you're NA, start buying your parts. I assume you got new water and oil pumps when you isntalled the turbo? If not, get these too and all the rest of the rebuild parts. Then you can either pull the engine when you can be without the car a few weeks or find a good deal sometime between now and then on a block and drop it all to be rebuilt. That would give the least down time.

And on another note, being totally serious, I have to ask this (as I'm sure many of us are wondering). What is up with the way you post? It's almost like you're posting from another planet sometimes. I wonder, where are you from (if not from here) and how long have you been here? Not making fun of you or anything, but you just have a way of saying things just stands out from the rest and things like the quote above just have me laughing my ass off. You're a funny guy, Gil. I think it's cool you stick around and take all the shit you do. Again, good luck getting her back on the road. :P
84109, RE: URGENT!!! more about oil leak!!! About engine rebuilt! (PIC Inside)
Posted by thedawg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DR1665v2
What is up with the way you post? It's almost like you're posting from another planet sometimes.

Not everyone is privilidged enough to have an 8th grade education Driggs. Take it easy on him. :shrug

Just cause he failed English doesn't mean he doesn't excel in other subjects- Art for instance. He clearly knows ALL about primary colors. :thumbsup
84084, RE: compression result!!! About engine rebuilt!
Oilpan taken off.
But no Metal pieces or shaving.... just dark engine oil.
Haven't change in 4000 miles.

SO? please inputs... please guys!
Gil
84085, RE: compression result!!! About engine rebuilt!
Posted by babybeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Look, If you rebuilt your own motor and made your own turbo kit this should be easy for you to figure out.

If you have oil in your intercooler piping it means it's your turbo.

If your loosing compression in cylinder #2 it could be a number of things. Could be a cracked piston/bad head gasket/bad rings ANYTHING

Take the sucker apart and find out! Want me to hold your hand too?
84092, RE: compression result!!! About engine rebuilt!
I took things apart already.

My turbo is bad.
My entire IC piping from turbo to FMIC to intake. all OIL!
I have to clean my FMIC, my pipes, and change the turbo.

Second.
The reason I ask coz I want to see if I HAVE to rebuild my ENGINE now??
it's winter.

If it's not piston rings coz I do'nt see anything under the engine (with oil pan off) it might be valves or Headgasket.

but loosing compression won't do anything correct?
as long as no burning engine oil. it's fine?
Please give some advice!
Thanks.
Gil
84093, RE: compression result!!! About engine rebuilt!
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sounds like your turbo took a shit on you, Gil. :thumbsdown

Depending on which turbo you have, you can possibly find a rebuild kit for it for a fairly affordable price. I'd advise you look into finding a reputable place to ship the turbo for a professional rebuild and balance.

With a 40point drop in compression on #2, I would advise you to get a rebuild done. The BEST way to do this for you would be to find a block somewhere online and have it rebuilt for you while you drive on the old one WITH NO TURBO. You're looking at being slow and gay again without your booster there.

Get the turbo rebuilt. Clean up all your piping and IC while you wait, and start collecting parts for the rebuild you need. I'd imagine you can get by NA with those comp numbers for a couple months, but you're going to have to keep an eye on the oil levels until you have a new engine ready to go in if you want it to stay "alive" until then.

Good luck. You've tracked your problem down, but now you know how important it is to have shit like this done by more experienced hands. In the end, who cares who built it? As long as it runs and runs well. :)
84094, RE: compression result!!! About engine rebuilt!
Posted by turbo8u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
since you did the compression test cold, those numbers really dont mean much. put some oil in there and see if the numbers come up.

also a leak down test will help point fingers if its your rings
84096, RE: compression result!!! About engine rebuilt!
OK, it's dark outside now
I will do a compression test again.

But as DR1665...
I really want to do the way you said.
get back to N/A.
Then by Summer time, I do the rebuilt and put my turbo and everything back.

But my main concern is, if I drive slow (no higher then 3K RPM) and with no turbo, and I keep an eye on the engine oil. will other things got mess up?
like I mean a HOLE in my engine, or my head got BLOW UP! you know.. major things!

Since 160 is not THAT TOO low... I was just thinking.. maybe I can get away with 3-4 months until Summer!
Gil
84100, RE: compression result!!! About engine rebuilt!
Posted by Blizare, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if I drive slow (no higher then 3K RPM) and with no turbo, and I keep an eye on the engine oil. will other things got mess up? like I mean a HOLE in my engine, or my head got BLOW UP!

no.

I'd do this.

Put on oil pan, refill oil, reconnect stocker exh. mani & downpipe.

Start the car, get up to operating temp. shut off. doo compression test on hot motor. do each cylinder dry first then do with a drop of oil in the spark plug well. Then, that will tell you if its your rings in the #2 cyl. thats about all a compression test will tell you.

As josh said, a leakdown would tell you if an intake OR exhaust valve was staying open or not seating properly. But not everyone has the tools for a leakdown. :(

dOod, if your going to have your car for a few more years, I'd either drop the pan and replace that piston. The rest of your numbers are dead on. :shrug

or

do a rebuild.

cha-ching
84101, RE: compression result!!! About engine rebuilt!
I have no more stock mani, or exhaust, etc.. but I will run my car without the BOOST.

I am going to keep my car for another 3-4 years or more.

SO I will do a FULL rebuilt in Summer
I will start buying parts.

Build a short block.
Then by Summer time.
I put everything ON !

I can replace that piston, but then I have to remove the timing, heads,.... TOO MUCH for only 3 months.
I think 160 is not TOO bad yet.

Gil
84103, RE: compression result!!! About engine rebuilt!
I think 160 is not TOO bad yet. Gil

I concur.

just no boost :nono
84116, RE: compression result!!! About engine rebuilt!
Thank you guy!

I guess I go from 250hp, back down to 140hp, (drive like a grandma) for 3-4 months. then I jump back to 350+ hp man!

Thanks alot guys.
Gil
84125, RE: compression result!!! About engine rebuilt!
Thank you guy! I guess I go from 250hp, back down to 140hp, (drive like a grandma) for 3-4 months. then I jump back to 350+ hp man! Thanks alot guys. Gil

do what ya gotta do eh?

whatever though. at least the thought of 350hp will get you through :thumbsup
I generated this page in 0.01030707359314 seconds, executing 7 queries.