Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectPlease Help! Quick GReddy header question...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=81454
81454, Please Help! Quick GReddy header question...
Posted by snufalufagus040, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So I just got a brand new 4:1 GReddy header. Unlike the Pacesetter I had a few weeks before, this one didn't come with any kind of gasket that went between it and the motor (came with all the other gaskets, though). I sent the Pacesetter back due to fitment probs, so I have a bone stock exhaust manifold right now. My question is, can I just use the stock gasket that's there, or do I need to buy something to go between my new header and the motor? And if I need a new gasket, where can I get it QUICK (and why didn't GReddy pack one)? I'm supposed to do the install today (along with brand new SP cat back). Thanks in advance for your help!
81456, RE: Please Help! Quick GReddy header question...
Posted by Scandelous, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You can just reuse the stock metal gasket that goes between the header and the cylinder head, It doesn't need to be replaced.
81458, RE: Please Help! Quick GReddy header question...
A buddy of mine who has the same header said that was ok, but that the stock one might leak a little? I have a sheet of Mr. Gasket, so I could cut my own, but I don't know if that stuff is tough enough to be used that close to the engine...
81461, RE: Please Help! Quick GReddy header question...
Posted by cougar694u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I had that header and used the stock gasket. When I replaced it, I bought the stock one from O'Reiley's (if I remember correctly), and it was like $4 and worked great, no leaks.

PS
Thanks for the points...
81468, RE: Please Help! Quick GReddy header question...
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The MLS exhaust gasket is nice and usually seals well. You can get a felpro exh gasket from a parts store, that composite and will compress more.

Exile Racing Technologies: http://www.exileracing.com
Assasin of Joy
81472, RE: Please Help! Quick GReddy header question...
Posted by cougar694u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Michael_97RS
You can get a felpro exh gasket from a parts store, that composite and will compress more.

Yeah, that's the one I got.
81474, RE: Please Help! Quick GReddy header question...
Thanks guys for all your help. I got the $4 one from O'Reilly's. I probably won't have my car done 'til Monday, but I'm hopeful the new O2 sensor will solve my stuttering probs, and the SP exhaust I just know will be badazzzz! :D
81483, RE: Please Help! Quick GReddy header question...
Posted by injendsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by snufalufagus040
Thanks guys for all your help. I got the $4 one from O'Reilly's. I probably won't have my car done 'til Monday, but I'm hopeful the new O2 sensor will solve my stuttering probs, and the SP exhaust I just know will be badazzzz! :D

the sp exhaust sounds extremely nice. a buddy of mine had it on his gs before it got totalled and it was definately one of the nicer sounding exhausts i have ever heard.
81489, RE: Please Help! Quick GReddy header question...
Posted by FlyinEsi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ahhhh....reading this posts almost makes me miss my ESi because I loved looking at that seckzy Greddy header.

How's that working out for you Jeff??
81712, RE: Please Help! Quick GReddy header question...
new exhaust sounds great. got a new O2 sensor... of course the one they have listed for Bosch 99 GS isn't right (13425), so I got pt no. 13399 (avenger 4 cyl). car sounds and looks great... still getting crappy gas mileage, stuttering, backfires, and no power at all under 3k rpm. guess i'm going to mess with plug wires and coil pack next... :S this suxxx...

Custom CAI w/ extra large filter, Front strut tower brace, Rear sway bar, Brembo xDrilled & slotted rotors, Performance Friction pads, Greddy 4:1 header, Greddy SP cat back exhaust, Bridgestone Potenza RE950’s, VIS carbon fiber Hood & pins, Optima Red Top battery, Custom taillights and rear end mod
82069, RE: Please Help! Quick GReddy header question...
K, changed my plugs, got 8.5mm wires, and new MSD coil pack. Car runs better than it ever had. Think I had a bad plug wire. I'm so glad I finally fixed this crap! The SP exhaust sounds REAL nice now that the car is running great! Really mellow, deep, and when I'm at WOT you still hear the CAI more than exhaust farts! I'm so stoked... Wish it was warm outside... :)

1999 GS OZ Edition (her name's Janet)

~~Custom CAI w/ extra large filter, Front strut tower brace, Rear sway bar, Brembo xDrilled & slotted rotors, Performance Friction pads, Greddy 4:1 header, Greddy SP cat back exhaust, Bridgestone Potenza RE950’s, VIS carbon fiber Hood & pins, Optima Red Top battery, MSD Blaster Coil and 8.5mm wires, Custom taillights and rear end mod~~
I generated this page in 0.0083408355712891 seconds, executing 7 queries.