Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectHoly fuck my breaks went out.
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=78439
78439, Holy fuck my breaks went out.
Posted by DSMRoadster, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just finished changing my alternator and drove around all day fine, except for the fact that I forgot to tightened my front right rim. But that's fixed. So I was driving around and stepped on the breaks. Those fuckers didn't work. The ebrakes work, but the pedal didn't. It was stiff and hard just like when the car is off. I have no idea how this could happen. I checked the break fluid and it's fine.
78441, RE: Holy fuck my breaks went out.
Posted by 420AYE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
power steering or something maybe. i dunno. check your belts
make sure they are tight enough. they should have little give when u push on them.
78442, RE: Holy fuck my breaks went out.
Posted by OldGuy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey Killer, check to see if your brake vacuum hose is hooked up to the booster. Also check to see if you have fluid in both reservoirs. Your e-brake will work because it is a direct mechanical link to the rear set. Look to see if something is damaged near that wheel that was loose too...

BTW, was that your coffee "breaks" or your car "brakes"??

Just Bustin' Ya Balls son!

:+
78443, RE: Holy fuck my breaks went out.
where is that vacuum hose to the booster?
78447, RE: Holy fuck my brakes went out.
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Back of t he manifold to the brake booster on the drivers side firewall.

Exile Racing Technologies: http://www.exileracing.com
So. All that's left, is... everything - Jesse James
78452, RE: Holy fuck my brakes went out.
Well when I went to look, one of them big vacuum hoses did come off completely. Then when I reconnected that shit, the brake pedal is still tight, just like when the car is off. anybody else ever had this happened where the brake pedals just suddenly give out like the car wasn't on? WTF? I just replaced the alternator today.
78454, RE: Holy fuck my brakes went out.
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Did you actually start the car after you reconnected it? It works off engine vacuum dude. No vacuum = tight pedal and bad brakes.
78458, RE: Holy fuck my brakes went out.
yes Master Darkone, I did. I had ExtremeRS on the chat. He guided me through and we came to the conclusion that it's the brake booster.
78455, RE: Holy fuck my brakes went out.
ok who has expriences taking out the brake booster, speak up. After talking with extremeRS, we figured out the booster went bad. i can't suck or blow through that vacuum line, but I can when I disconnect it from the brake booster.

edit* now we think it may be the cylinder. Because when I take off the vacuum line from the booster, i can hear a gush of air coming out from where the line hooks up to the booster. Anyone else have any insight?
78459, RE: Holy fuck my brakes went out.
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
it feels no different with the booster connected, the engine running? Does it stop when you hook it back up the right way?

Otherwise, probably a bad booster.
78469, RE: Holy fuck my brakes went out.
It's the booster, because when I loosened one of the brake lines to the cylinder and stepped on the brakes,the fluid comes gushing out. The vacuum with check valve is ok. It has to be the booster. Now who know's how to take it off?
78479, RE: Holy fuck my brakes went out.
the engine runs fine regardless if the vacuum line is hooked up or not. I took out the booster today and sucked on that nipple that goes to the intake. It was like blowing into a coke bottle but just the opposite. I can suck in very, very little air. Matt and I are thinking it's the booster. Regardless I went and ordered a new one for 154. Questoin though. That metal arm coming out of the booster that hooks on to the brake pedal. Was that suppose to stay on the brake booster or come off too? Because I turned the core in with that arm attached to it.
I generated this page in 0.0073041915893555 seconds, executing 7 queries.