Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectCamshaft Sprocket Screw Question...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=72037
72037, Camshaft Sprocket Screw Question...
Posted by Pyroman415, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Im Putting on my camshaft sprockets and the front one ill be able to get torque fine but I cannot fit my torque wrench into the small space to torque the rear camshaft sprocket. Would I be able to put some JB Weld or red Loctight onto the camshaft sprocket screw and use a regular wrench and torque it as much as I can? What other methods are there to do this? Id perfer to not take off the camshaft again but If I have to I will.
72043, RE: Camshaft Sprocket Screw Question...
Posted by Dave41079, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If you're talking about the bolt that holds the cam gear to the cam shaft, try this. Take out the passenger side engine mount, and use a jack to jack up that side of the engine. It should move high enough to give you the clearance you need. If not, you may have to take out the drivers side engine mount as well.
72049, RE: Camshaft Sprocket Screw Question...
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just use an open end wrench, and get that sucker as tight as I can..
72054, RE: Camshaft Sprocket Screw Question...
Posted by run4cvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by XtremeRS
I just use an open end wrench, and get that sucker as tight as I can..

Same here.
72056, RE: Camshaft Sprocket Screw Question...
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That same method worked for my car several times and I've had no problems :)
72170, RE: Camshaft Sprocket Screw Question...
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yup same here, a friend with the trans in 5th stepping on the brakes helps a lot to hold the engine still.

Also, for the love of God never JB weld a bolt in, it will never come out. If you want to use lock tite I would go with the blue stuff, nothing too strong to brek free in the future.

Exile Racing Technologies: http://www.exileracing.com
una salus victus
72206, RE: Camshaft Sprocket Screw Question...
Posted by Pyroman415, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I put on some blue loctight and got them as tight as I could, I think it should hold fine. Thanks for the help!
72334, RE: Camshaft Sprocket Screw Question...
Posted by The1Bill, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Take out the cam and have the cam gear welded to it. That way, it won't come off. Ever. Put the cam back in, and throw out the cam cap bolts, too. TiG weld the cap to the head. That way, you will never need to worry about them coming loose, either.

Who needs bolts?

-=B-=
I generated this page in 0.010587930679321 seconds, executing 7 queries.