Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectQuestion about hard cornering and Bogging???
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=71633
71633, Question about hard cornering and Bogging???
Posted by Blizare, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Okay, Me and a buddy were out playing in the talon and theres this new residential area that is newly layed out. No houses, just nice pavement and curvy roads. I come up to this hard right 90 deg, dropped to second(5000RPM) and took this corner hard. (I love the new coilovers) The point to this story is that the car bogged down under acceleration through the corner. WTF? So I turned around and did it again. It did the same thing.

I have never taken it that hard around a corner and had this happen before. What is happening. Is this what a crankscraper fixes?
71653, RE: Question about hard cornering and Bogging???
Bump!
71660, RE: Question about hard cornering and Bogging???
Posted by a_miller_76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've been noticing this lately too. I think it has to do with fuel pressure and fuel sloshing around in your fuel rail. Check your pressure. I need to, just haven't yet.
71667, RE: Question about hard cornering and Bogging???
It's wierd. I've never had it happen till I took that hard right!!!
Do I have crankwalk!!!!!!!1 lol
71671, RE: Question about hard cornering and Bogging???
Posted by SPL_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
oh god, justin99rs and i were talking about this the other night, lol. its the fuel sloshing around, or at least thats what ive heard from the neon guys (i drive a neon, lol). i encounter this EVERY day. stupid neon! :afro
71673, RE: Question about hard cornering and Bogging???
Posted by JWoodley, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
actually its probably your turvo not getting sufficient voltage...lol :afro
71674, RE: Question about hard cornering and Bogging???
Posted by BoostedGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yep, it's fuel loss. Lots of the road race and auto-x cars have fuel cells with baffles to prevent this.
71677, RE: Question about hard cornering and Bogging???
Posted by Clay, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
"its the fuel sloshing around"

Yep. Buy the crankscraper and your problems are sloved. I've auto X'd with the "crankscraper" or baffle a few times with no bogging problems.
71678, RE: Question about hard cornering and Bogging???
Originally posted by Clay
"its the fuel sloshing around" Yep. Buy the crankscraper and your problems are sloved. I've auto X'd with the "crankscraper" or baffle a few times with no bogging problems.

UHm, that makes no sense dude. The crank scraper keeps your oil down in the pan and stops your crank from making a big whirling mess out of your oil which slows down the crankshaft. It has NOTHING to do with fuel delivery.
71686, RE: Question about hard cornering and Bogging???
I think it's fuel. O well. Nothing by the sounds of it will fix it.
71692, RE: Question about hard cornering and Bogging???
Originally posted by Blizare
I think it's fuel. O well. Nothing by the sounds of it will fix it.

Yeah dude, get your fuel pressure checked. I have a bad FPR and just haven't replaced it yet. So either that or your pump (not likely) have gone bad and you're not getting the right pressure in your fuel rail.
71710, RE: Question about hard cornering and Bogging???
Posted by Clay, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
OOPS sorry i meant to say OIL.
80401, RE: Question about hard cornering and Bogging???
Posted by Kevin_Johnson, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by BoostedGS
Yep, it's fuel loss. Lots of the road race and auto-x cars have fuel cells with baffles to prevent this.

Just completely fill up your tank with gas. Even if you went through the turn at 3 gees a full tank would eliminate fuel sloshing as being the culprit. If the bog still occurs then it is something else.

If your fuel injection pump is not capable of pressurizing the fuel rail so as to resist the modest gee forces in this sort of turn then you would probably have real drivability problems even when not turning.

My guess would be that your crank is suddenly trying to whip up 4-5 quarts of oil as it stands up against one end of the pan. Uses up a lot of energy. Be careful, though. Many, many people have blown their engines this way (usually you will spin a bearing and if you keep driving then you throw that rod or ruin the main journal).

80423, RE: Question about hard cornering and Bogging???
Posted by 2point4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
it's the oil bud. get a crankscraper and you'll be done with that. your fuel rail is under pressure so it wouldn't matter if your turning or not, you'd have eratic revs and such with a bad fpr...chris
80426, RE: Question about hard cornering and Bogging???
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Was it a right turn? When you make a hard right turn all of the oil in the engine will slosh to the driver's side. The oil pickup tube is on the passanger's side. It will just suck up crankcase air when you do this.

Be CAREFUL. If you are a little low on oil, or you have a halfway decent suspention/tire setup and you can pull decent lat. G's, you can DESTROY all of the bearings in your engine due to oil starvation if you make a hard right turn. It's a flaw in the oil system from the factory, our oil pans are WIDE OPEN. That's how my 1st engine died.

No, a "crankscraper" (kind of a retarded term, it's really a windage tray) won't really fix the problem. The only REAL way to fix the problem is to add baffles to the oil pan - like a few well placed pieces of sheet metal to keep the oil near the pickup tube, while still allowing oil to somewhat move around the pan.
I generated this page in 0.009706974029541 seconds, executing 7 queries.