Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjecttheory: easy way to really supercharge the 420a
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=67619
67619, theory: easy way to really supercharge the 420a
Posted by alain95i4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
it's just hasn't been done yet but

first you buy a small twin screw type supercharger and the best candidate for this is the IHI supercharger found on the Mazda millenia with the Miller Cycle v6 engine

that one belongs to our member McGyvr

next you built a sheet metal box that will sit on top of the lower half of the intake manifold, just like Wheatking did when he played with dual TB last year

this supercharger is narrow enought to sit on top of such a box, since the outlet of the supercharger is on the bottom it will blow ring in the lower intake manifold, the tb goes right on the supercharger too in the end of the SC, the pic is dark we don't see much I'll try to get a better one later

now pulley, you take your alternator and your sc to a machine shop and you ask for a double belt pulley instead of a single belt one, both pulley should have the same diameter for ease of installation

last thing is a belt tensionner for the SC , not really hard to do, like you take a timming belt idler pulley, bolt it on plate attached to then engine with a moving screw to tight it

of course there's no intercooler, but because of the efficiency of the SC to compress air , the air is a lot cooler than on a turbo, if you want more psi, try a water injection system like the aquamist

the car would need fuel supply just like a turbo. usual ford #30 , sfmu egt gauge etc

Alain
67621, RE: theory: easy way to really supercharge the 420a
Posted by Dualgen2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Didn't some company called dreamspeed or something come out w/ a kit for our car? I thought I remember a post from a year or 2 ago about that. The idea of a supercharger would be interesting on our cars. Hope someone on here tries it soon.
-Dave
67623, RE: theory: easy way to really supercharge the 420a
Dreamspeed did a custom supercharger for a 2.4 stratus but nothing else that i know of

Alain
67624, RE: theory: easy way to really supercharge the 420a
Posted by euro_clipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I think you will want to pay more attention to the pulley diameters so you don't overboost or underboost the supercharger.
But I went about this in a different way. I bought a MINI Cooper S. Hehe. I'll let you know the outcome when it's delivered.

I've always enjoyed reading what you guys post on supercharging. I think it's just too unreachable for most because of cost. For much less, and no fabrication, people end up slapping a turbo onto their 420A with much desired results. But I can't wait for that guy with big balls and big cash to fabricate a setup with an SC and see the results!:thumbsup

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
jalapenos.
What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."
67643, RE: theory: easy way to really supercharge the 420a
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The only thing I would do it make a custom lower manifold, but the theory/idea is very sound.

Exile Racing Technologies: http://www.exileracing.com
una salus victus
Mods List: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm
67661, RE: theory: easy way to really supercharge the 420a
Posted by lickscissors, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i think that looks like the best idea ive seen yet...why would you even need a tensioner...why not just use the alternator as the tensioner?... i think this would be a pretty simple setup after the intake box was made and pulley was fabricated....good idea, someone needs to give this a shot
doug
67665, RE: theory: easy way to really supercharge the 420a
Originally posted by lickscissors
why not just use the alternator as the tensioner?...

It could probably work if you choose the right belt setup and position the SC on the box in such way that bolt belts could be tighten at the same time

the eaton m42 is also another supercharger candidate

Alain
I generated this page in 0.0081710815429688 seconds, executing 7 queries.