Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectsurface to work on
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=66267
66267, surface to work on
Posted by enhance, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Allright.........I've started on the removal of my engine. So far I all I have done is the labeling and removal of my wiring harnesses and obvious things are out of the way (battery, intake, etc.)

Now a question about putting something under the car engine area so I can raise it and put jackstands under it. I'm working on the car in my backyard which is grass. I'll need to put something under there to work on. What would be good........like buy a sheet of a certain kind of wood....or something???????

Any input on this.......thanks guys.

Tony
66268, RE: surface to work on
Posted by foggy45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
:wary
go to the scrap yard and fine yourself some steel plate.
i wouldnt trust myself onder anything that has the possibility of shifting and colapsing.

IMO id find a garage from a buddy, or at least somthing with concrete
good luck
just make sure it dosent move!!!
66296, RE: surface to work on
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You will need something solid under your jackstands so they won't sink into the ground unevenly, become unstable, drop the car, causing a brake rotor assembly to land on your chest, causing a slow, painful suffocation from your lungs being ruptured and filled with blood. I would highly suggest maybe picking up a couple concrete paving stones (like for in the garden) and putting them on top of similar pieces of wood, then setting the jackstands on top of those reinforced pads.

:)
66457, RE: surface to work on
Posted by thedawg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Concrete is like $2/bag. Buy some.
66458, RE: surface to work on
Posted by Skrilla, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by thedawg
Concrete is like $2/bag. Buy some.

Exactly
66469, RE: surface to work on
Posted by blckeclipse95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey i saw that you are foom Statesboro. Are you taking the car apart in Statesboro too?
66472, RE: surface to work on
Posted by enhance, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah..........I'm in downtown Statesboro. Across from the huge Baptist Church on East Main.

And putting concrete isn't an option in my backyard.......I rent.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tony
66473, RE: surface to work on
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
make a slab of concrete then lay it down in the backyard =]
66474, RE: surface to work on
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DR1665
You will need something solid under your jackstands so they won't sink into the ground unevenly, become unstable, drop the car, causing a brake rotor assembly to land on your chest, causing a slow, painful suffocation from your lungs being ruptured and filled with blood.. :)

holy fucking shit man!!! that's a little grim... but can be true... you make a good point and the darkness of it just drives it home.

I personally do all of my car work in the garage (no rain, wind, snow, AND it's a flat surface with lights)
I generated this page in 0.0083608627319336 seconds, executing 7 queries.