Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subject"nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=5666
5666, "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by xtremeRS2B, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just wonderin about these spark plug wires....Does anyone have them?? I can get a set for about 130 bucks. It says a 300% increase in spark energy, hotter combustion, ect....If you know anything about it, please speak up!!!
5667, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by guest, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
LAST EDITED ON 30-Aug-01 AT 04:03 PM (PST)

yo extreme, i have been researching on these wires but i have not found really good stuff.. read this link on why i say that. although it may be a rare case, it was on a eclipse!

http://iwcweb.com/eclipse/html/warning.html

i was going to get some magnecores anyway.. and i think this link just made up my mind! ;)

here is another link about it in a little more detail. it discusses all things relating to the nologys and magnecores..

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/truth.htm

hope this helps!

'99 Eclipse RS (Special Edition)
Iceman Cold Air Intake (Blue)
Powerslot X-drilled rotors w/Axxis Metal Master brake pads
Myrtle Shoot 18's w/ 215-35-18 Nitto NT450 Extreme Tires

Indiglo guages and lighted valve stems
Custom audio/video system
NGK BK 5's
Magnecore wires on the way!

1/4 mile in 37.220 sec's ;)

95855, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by VTECKILLER, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know this is like 5 years old but I just wanted to add that this guy had one set of wires go bad after 2 years big deal that kind of thing happens.

I know Im still going to run there wires b/c I know alot of guys that do and have ran them for more then 2 years lol. I just wouldnt be affriad to use them just b/c of one guys personal exprence.
95859, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by eclpsmoneypit95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thanks for bumping a 5 year old thread...Nology "hotwires" are a waste of money. That's why 2gnter's invest in ignition amplifiers. IMO look into the MSD or Crane Fireball units if you plan on making any sort of power. If not, then the $40 bosch wires at Autozone are MORE than enough.
95866, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
They are not worth the price you pay for them. In fact, the capacitive effect that stores the spark energy actually acts like a sort of ignition retard, meaning your timing will never be dead on.

+1 for using the search
-1 for attitude.
95872, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by b1itzeclips, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I was going to buy these myself but I learned of the defect theyre prone to and how the money wasn't worth it. The extra "power" it makes wont be noticable either way. I bought some NGK wires and haven't had problems since.
95873, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by VTECKILLER, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know that James had a set he also had a MSD coil and a MSD DIS-2.
I just didnt like the fact that the guy raged on them for one bad personal incounter with the wires he should have atleast been fair and taken the free set and tested them and If they lasted him then remove his warning.
95983, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by jamesman, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
man this post is old!
I had them on my car. The only thing that i thought was negative about them is their length. The problems that people have had on their eclipse have been on 4g63's. Most problems come from improper grounding of the ground strap. When I had them in my car I definitely could tell the difference over msd and magnecore wires that I also own. In the lower RPM's there was not really a noticeable difference, but once you exceeded 3500 rpm you could tell the car was pulling harder and smoother then with the other wires. From the research I did, it appears that the nology wires are basically a large capacitor, they would output a much more intense spark, but the spark duration would be much less. This would allow for much more accurate ignition timing and supports what I felt at higher RPMS. As I stated previously, the only downside I experienced is that the wires are substantially longer than than the stock wires so it can look a little messy when installed.

Lates
James
95984, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by totaleclipse_05, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eclpsmoneypit95
the $40 bosch wires at Autozone are MORE than enough.

Actually $35.38, includes LIFETIME WARRANTY haha

95990, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by eclpsmoneypit95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by totaleclipse_05
Actually $35.38, includes LIFETIME WARRANTY haha

lol
96020, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by VOTBLINDUB, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
my buddy had those on his, he said they help. but idk about having 130 bucks for just 4 little wires in a daily. i got ractive 9mm wires, for free. im sure theyre not as much and i can feel a difference. just my 2cents
96021, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
eh, I've been using the Magnecor 8 or 8.5mm wires for a few years now. But then again I didn't know any better at the time of purchase.
96026, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Wow lol...yeah i remember i had signed up to 2gnt under that name haha..was like my first post or something..wow a trip back in time! Yeah those wires dont really do much..a turbo sure does though!
104059, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by N4cer, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know this is an old thread, but is there some defect in the stock wires that they don't conduct well? I mean, I'm a hot-rodder, and even REAL HIGH HP drag racers don't worry about the plug wires. I mean, yes, they use a quality set like MSD, but they're not a performance upgrade. It's funny when I see people list their spark plugs and wires as a "mod" to their car. Sure separates the ricers from the racers.

So what's the factory defect in the system?
104060, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Its more of an upgrade over stock. Claiming them to be mods is kinda like how the v8 guys who cant build motors like to load them up with nitrous and claim to be a hotrodder.
104062, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Are you serious? What about the ones who CAN build a motor and then use nitrous? That's like saying a turbo is for people who can't build a motor. Are you even aware of what nitrous does? No offense, but that's one of the most ignorant comments I've EVER seen. Especially to come from a forced induction guy who should know better.
104066, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by Slo2g, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Listing wires is like listing slotted/cross-drilled rotors, there is no default in the factory parts, but they are better than oem. Why replace them? Because most of these cars are over or at 100k and factory parts only last for so long. So instead of buying oem why not get some that are of more quality than oem.
104067, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
I agree they're nice because contacts go bad, etc. But they're CERTAINLY not a "mod". That was the only point to my comment.
104074, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
actually the resistance is far less on magnecore/msd/nology wires versus OEM type replacements. Is that a mod? yes IMO

Its like power wire to an amplifier. The difference between say 8 awg and 2 awg power wire is the less voltage drop with the larger wire(due to the decreased resistance) so the amp will be able to provide more.

and slotted/drilled rotors are also a modification. Stopping distance is decreased, heat is typically decreased. and stock rotors just plain suck and warp easily.
104077, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Originally posted by mcgyvr and slotted/drilled rotors are also a modification. Stopping distance is decreased, heat is typically decreased. and stock rotors just plain suck and warp easily.

Thats what I was saying, I think that its a mod too.
104079, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Wow. Did we just bump a six year old thread to have one of the most inane conversations ever held here?

1. Spark plug wires are a mod in that they are not stock. To modify is to alter, and to alter is to change. Therefore, if you change your plug wires to anything other than stock, it's technically a mod. Are plug wires worth mentioning aside from when someone specifically asks you what wires you run? My opinion is no.

2. Drilled/slotted brake rotors and hotter compound pads are a mod by the same token, but they provide, as was mentioned, greater resistance to heat soak, imcreased surface area for the application of friction, and serve to noticably reduce stopping distance and fade, which results in reduced track times in road cars. They are a mod more so than the wires above.

As for the nitrous comment, one of the biggest names in the industry, Gale Banks, said recently, that nitrous is the best option when you have a seven second car and are looking at shaving those last few tenths off your E.T.. Otherwise, a turbo or supercharger is the best route to take.

I wouldn't say that people who can't build motors spray, but I would say it's the easy way out. It's a temporary fix to a permanent problem. Forced induction via turbo- or supercharging results in a permanent change to the entire induction system of an engine. It is a permanent increase in power to the engine.

Spray an engine - you make power on the bottle.
Boost an engine - the engine makes more power on demand.
104083, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
I didn't bump it for this goofiness. No way. I just had to comment on how funny it is to list it as a performance mod. You see, there's a general rule of thumb whereby if it's not a performance mod, it had better be darned unique to list anything else, or else you're a ricer. That's old news to you I'm sure. You know your stuff.

And if when I spray it's not my engine making more power, where is the spray going? IT'S THE SAME CONCEPT, FOR RICE'S SAKE! Both add additional oxygen so that you can add additional fuel, making more power. Simple.

I agree a turbo is better in most instances. Of course it is. My point was that you made it sound like they're so different, when they're first cousins. Maybe brothers. In my situation, it takes a substantial amount of money to make an LS1 reliable with a turbo. And I have no need. I make about 450rwhp NA. Why spend $10k to turbo it when I can spray it with a $600 kit that'll still put me at 600rwhp SAFELY AND RELIABLY if I choose? It's not like I could push the stock shortblock any higher on boost. Not to mention, this way it's only under stress when I say (or spray) so, instead of always like with a turbo (well, okay, only when in boost).
104078, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Originally posted by mcgyvr
actually the resistance is far less on magnecore/msd/nology wires versus OEM type replacements. Is that a mod? yes IMO Its like power wire to an amplifier. The difference between say 8 awg and 2 awg power wire is the less voltage drop with the larger wire(due to the decreased resistance) so the amp will be able to provide more. and slotted/drilled rotors are also a modification. Stopping distance is decreased, heat is typically decreased. and stock rotors just plain suck and warp easily.

and how much do those wires improve quarter mile times over working stock wires? none. it's replacement maintenance not performance modification. otherwise you'd have to get a colder plug when you put them on to compensate. or just put in a hotter plug on stock wires. and brakes? that's only a performance one for auto x or rice with wings and neon lights.
104084, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Mods please just lock this thread
104085, RE: "nology hotwires"- anyone know anything about these plug wires
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Slo2g
Mods please just lock this thread

Users, please use the thread alert feature on the bottom right.
I generated this page in 0.023139953613281 seconds, executing 7 queries.